New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 27 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  1:01:13 PM  Show Profile
"Wildflower, didn't you say you live in Town's Co? I am wondering why you are so worried about Blairsville. You have your drinks there in your town. And I haven't seen the first restaraunt come in that area or in Fannin or in Murphy....Do any of you see Outback or Long Horns' there? Me either. It won't bring them here either."

First of all, Native, that is an insulting thing to say. I am not "worried" about Blairsville, I am just contributing to the discussion. There are people on this board who don't even live in Georgia at all! Where I live has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Second . . . to me, the issue isn't about large chain restaurants coming in. It's about people's individual right to order a drink and the success of the existing LOCAL restaurants. In fact, I talked about that several posts up on the previous page. You must have missed it.

"And it won't be a secret in Blairsville that more than likely, every church (People) will come together during this time to keep the vote from happening. In fact, it's a work in progress as we speak."

Then why did you say it makes you ILL when people blame the churches?

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile
They can serve wine in Murphy, by the glass, or you can brown bag your liquor.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and for the record, Native, I can count on one hand the number of drinks I have in a year. I usually order iced tea, even when everyone else at my table is having wine.

But, I do like good food. It seems the ability to order wine with a meal does attract better restaurants. That's why I go to restaurants in Towns and not Blairsville.

I have something to contribute to the discussion just as you do, whether you like it or not. Personally, I have no stake in whether Blairsville sinks or swims - it's their problem.

But I do like discussing issues in general with some of the people on this site and some of them write to me to thank me.

You can just skip over my posts.

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  1:20:41 PM  Show Profile
I, for one, am appalled that a any Christian church of any denominiation would spend its efforts on a political issue. What ever happened to spreading the gospel, caring for the weak and down-trodden, widows and orphans and ministering to the sick? There is not enough of that to do without fighting beer and wine sales? I don't get it.

Also, it serves no purpose in this discussion to question someone's "motives" as to why they enter, especially based on the geographics of where they live. What difference does it make? Everyone is allowed an opinion and it is an open discussion of a specific topic.

I also do not believe this is about bringing "chain" restaurants to our area. Helen is not dry and is a tourist mecca and you don't see the chains there. This is a matter of personal rights in my opinion. Those of us that do not believe drinking is a sin should be afforded the opportunity to purchase something that is legal.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  1:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Casey,

I couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes, it's NOT about chain restaurants in my mind. I'll choose a unique one-of-a-kind restaurant with great food, over a chain any day of the week!

I've lived in the city and eaten at the big chains. Been there, done that.

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  1:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Wildflower said:
quote:
You can just skip over my posts.

Gladly, Under this name or both?

Casey Doodle Bug said:

quote:
I, for one, am appalled that a any Christian church of any denominiation would spend its efforts on a political issue. What ever happened to spreading the gospel, caring for the weak and down-trodden, widows and orphans and ministering to the sick? There is not enough of that to do without fighting beer and wine sales? I don't get it.
The churches (all of which that do help) are blessed enough financially to help all the above and DO ALL OF THE ABOVE. We take care of our church and our community, and YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A MEMBER THERE TO BE PRAYED FOR OR TO BE HELPED OUT DURING HARD TIMES!

Wildflower said:

quote:
Then why did you say it makes you ILL when people blame the churches?
You probably wouldn't understand or be able to grasp the theological point. It won't be the church; It's above and beyond the church.

This is almost comical; But I am leaving here with a smile. Sorry ya'll got your tail feathers ruffled.

Wildflower said:

quote:
Personally, I have no stake in whether Blairsville sinks or swims - it's their problem.

That's a loving attitude I would love to share with Blairsville!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  2:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Quite the contrary Native. My tail feathers are not ruffled at all. I am engaging in a discussion regarding a relevant topic to our community.

I don't, however, understand your sarcasm when we are all simply discussing an issue that we all feel strongly about.

Also, I don't consider the sale of berr and wine "above and beyond the Church." The Church, as the body of Christ, does not agree on this issue as a whole. So for anyone to assume that their view of the issue is above "the Church" is quite arrogant, considering that there are many of us that are part of the Church that don't see this as a spirtual issue.

I have stated my opinion and you yours, so as far as I'm concerned, let's agree to disagree.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  3:24:38 PM  Show Profile
I will say this much and its NOT inspite of ANYONE.. I looked in the phone book yesterday... use to you could just swirl the finger and land on a name that you know... now yall get that phone book out and play that stupid game.lol I know I am bored to have even thought of that.. thing was I had to literally look for the name instead of glancin and finding it.

If I go against someone who is an adult and able to make decisions pertaining to their own adult choices... I am not letting them have their freedom to choose. If I down them for sipping a glass of wine.I have done this. Ive seen people who would cause lots of conflicts while drunk but was nice as could be and totally a different person when not drinking.
Im a hypercrit which I already am that and dont look to me for anything because Ill probably fail as a person in so many ways but I will as I said vote yes and I attend church. I have what I consider my own relationship with God and it is of a Godly relationship.. I do know the right from the wrong.If Im less a person or Christian for not condemning alcohol then me and God both know I need even that much more work.. and he will show me and lead me.. thus far I will not ever think that its the drink that makes the person bad or drunkards more so then the drunkards hand that feeds the booze and WONT moderate the amount of consumption.. same with anything else. If you cant have self control.. its you and not someone elses fault.

Theres so many people Ive read in the paper who attend churches and are of a church member at this one and even that one whos name ends up in the arrest for dui or drugs.. theres people I and Hunny have seen on the Warren boarder literally ball cap and all sneaking to buy beer. This is as far as Ive been with that and I care nothing if they go or not.. the thing is, Id shake their hand at the store or in the church.. Its not my place to even TRY to condemn someone..

Lady was specific in saying that she has her on personal reasons why she does not want it here. Its her personal faith and walk with God.. I will not say STRIKE to that because if I did feel the same as she does, Id say the same and I dont and would NEVER hold it against her.

As for the people of churches and Gods house,... if you are doing it for the personal walk and faith.. I hope they get their rememdy and happiness.. I truly do. For those who are keeping up appearances and go home and live a double life.. are you effectively a full member? Not mine to ask now is it? But you are no better than me for voting yes to one thing and admitting I am for it than those who will go sit at church for appearance sake either..
As for me.. I see it as a test on people to see how far they will go and how strong faith is.. not only with God but within themselves as well.

Ive known many people who found God by way of redemption too.. be it drugs, booze, or even adultry. For every bad thing, something GOOD has came from it.. lessons learned and growth.. so that is where I come from on this.. if a drunkard is a drunkard, there is still hope and wether the booze is here or there, there will be coming here... sooner or later.

I dont adjust well to change but Ive had to adjust to many things and this one.. its not that bad in my eyes as learning that theres more illegal drugs more arrest made over illegal drugs than ANYTHING here in UC.. now thats when I wonder... how much counseling is open for our community and publicly advertised from churches and people of their church for rehab and such..?
Is the churches involved with this or AA? God is the best reason to work and who to work for but do we realize that theres more to be done even as a dry county? I see some of the churches working with youth and HARAY! THANK GOD.. Marriage counseling as well.. GREAT! But is this the only interest for churches is what I wonder? Just to keep alcohol out of the county or to actually be there for those who have already consummed and need a hand?

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile
For those who post regulary you know my stance on alcohol in restaurants. I don't like eating in a place where a large number of the people in the restaurant is standing or sitting around a bar. The rest of my thoughts about alcohol are as have I said in old posts.

About the statement by caseydb ", I for one, am appalled that a any Christian church of any denominiation would spend its efforts on a political issue........... I don't see this as a political issue. It has no nothing to do with governing the county and meeting its needs or who is in office. The real issue is whether you or I want to drink alcohol in a restaurant and do you or I feel this is appropriate.

I would vote against this even if I weren't a church goer. If an eating establishment can't make it with out serving alcohol then it must not be much of a place to eat. Longhorns, applebys, hooters and the other chain restaurants included.

Those of you who to drink with your meals, I hold no ill feelings against you, if this passes I will say that I was out voted and carry on. I will not enjoy going to the places that serve alcohol as much as I did before and may even quit going to some if it is not handled correctly. A restaurant with people around a bar drinking with out eating a proper meal is nothing but a Bar.

whyGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  4:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Gladly, Under this name or both?

Native, I only go by the name of "Wildflower". Exactly what are you trying to imply?

Isn't there a commandment about "bearing false witness against thy neighbor?"

You're the one with the ruffled tail feathers, challenging people's right to post here according to where they reside. We simply rebutted the idea that a poster's location matters.

As to my understanding of a theological concept . . . you stated it makes you ILL when the church is blamed for anti-alcohol laws. Then later on you said they are organizing to vote "NO".

So which is it? Either the churches are NOT organizing to influence people's votes, or they ARE.

You can't have it both ways.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  4:40:58 PM  Show Profile
I really have no desire to have chain restaurants move into this area, I kind of like it just like it is. Serving wine has not changed Murphy!

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  7:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
quote:
So which is it? Either the churches are NOT organizing to influence people's votes, or they ARE.

Perhaps SOME may be, but perhaps many are not. It sounds like your statement is all inclusive of all churches. But then again, maybe I misread or misunderstood.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  8:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
quote:
Lady was specific in saying that she has her on personal reasons why she does not want it here. Its her personal faith and walk with God.. I will not say STRIKE to that because if I did feel the same as she does, Id say the same and I dont and would NEVER hold it against her.

See Doc KNOWS the real me. She does. She knows all my faults. She knows my past mistakes, she knows just about everything about me there is to know...inside and out. With kids, Hubbys, church, she knows me well. The other person on here that knows me that much would be Topaz. They understand why and where I am coming from.

Have you ever made a mistake and said, "I'll NEVER do that again?" Ok, when you say that to a person, it's asking for their forgiveness or possibly even asking for your "ownself" forgiveness. Now if you tell the Lord you won't ever do that again, what is that called? It's called Repenting, which means asking for forgiveness but repent means to TURN AWAY from. Ok with all that said...

Wildflower and CaseyDB, Ya'll don't know me, and to sit here and to say if you knew me you would like me would be forming an opinion of my ownself but I will say this much. I am pretty laid back kind of person believe it or not. I am passive to alot. I have been through a lot of Hell in my life time that made me strong today. Alcohol and drugs was something I never turned too, except for them few occassions in my youth and a few times in my young adult life. Alcohol but not drugs....Now if I sat here and told you all I agreed with a "yes" vote, I would be totally hyprocrital due to what I believe...AGAIN THIS IS PERSONAL....just like anything else. Some people don't see mowing the grass on Sunday wrong....I do. It's WAY DOWN DEEP INSIDE....That gut feeling? That tug in your heart that says "Stay away" because you've been there before and it was a dead end....That kind of feeling....

I am not being sarcastic...I am not even being mean. I am being honest with you all and with myself.

Many years ago, Hubby liked his beer and I liked my wine coolers. Actually I liked a good ole Vodka and Orange Juice so it would hit faster. Yeah I liked it strong too. THere came a day that it "convicted" my soul. I am not POINTING my fingers at anyone. I am standing as one. One person. Not many. One. I will say that most of the people I know are also but I haven't even talked to other people about this. I really hadn't. Maybe Mom and Hubby but as far as that....It's actually not been a topic of conversation with me or anyone else. I am a Southern Baptist, yes, I am a sinner too. Saved By Grace. But the thing that I could see the last time I was sitting and laughing with a drink in my hand, was "What if the end of time came at this moment..." and here I sit with a bottle in my hand. Now would my Jesus say "Awww that's alright...sober up and come on in to Heaven!" Umm...No I think I would be begging for mercy, See, This is MY personal opinion and feelings.

When I speak of "church" I am not talking of EVERY single church in Blairsville. I am speaking of my own. I don't attend other churches. I stay at the one. And I don't ALWAYS agree with everything that I hear in church, SO THERE, I don't let someone TELL me what to do. Or how to live. It's MY walk, My Path, My Testimony.....

I can't stand on my own two feet stable enough to try to help others walk.

Ok....I am through with this topic. It's brought out things that it shouldn't have. But I understand why.

I am whole heartedly sorry if I acted out of sarcasm to anyone. I am also going to ignore a few of the above comments. I know my commandments and I've broke every singe one except murder. So that tells you how honest of a person I am to sit here and admit that I have broken ALL of them. Then again, I've killed Love in my life time so I imagine I have committed murder in my heart and others.

Happy Easter and May God Bless Each and Every Single One of You!

I have said all I am going to say.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

peaches

USA
2914 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  9:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Soon to be 18 and i have my own views on this. I have lived here all my life and plan on to the rest of my life. Being a teenager YOU can have all the drinks and drugs you could ever want. But my friends and i vote against it. why? in my opinon because death by car accident will increase. The DUI's will increase. and the last thing we need is that.

and its wrong in my eyes..

Lets see here.. image this.. your son's daughters mom's dads' are on there way home from ingles and BOOM you get the call yep there dead... God only knows the way were going to go but a mangling accident is the last thing you wanna see or here and not to mention..

.... The Bible says: Obstain from "strong drink".. wine back then was just like Grape Juice.. It didnt have the "things it has in it now"

The Church i go to stands strong in this to ban it. I agree.. not because my church does but because i have my own opnion ... Most of you think "shes only 17 she cant even vote" About to be 18 and WILL vote against it.

Hiawassee sells it but where in the world do you see a Red Lobster over there? You dont! I'm my own person i vote for what is right.
God is right.

Blairsville has alot of a drug problem and people bash it.. What if meth was legal? Would you like to have a Cup of meth with your juicy steak? ha! No you wouldnt..

My views between drugs and drinks

Impaired vison - both
Cant drive worth the crap- both
Can't control yourself-both

would you like to go to church with a drink on your breath..?? You wouldnt because i wouldnt..

I love this county and dont want it to go to waste like it is with drinking ... and if it does come to union it will be a waste

In a resturaunt the dont go by on how much you drink you think they care if you go 90 down the 4lane and kill some Pregnant mother with 2 babies as it is? No they dont care neither does the one who is bringin it in the county or IT WOULDNT EVEN HAVE BEEN SAID IT WAS COMING HERE...

Majority may vote yes but when i see my makers face i will know i didnt do wrong by voting yes thats one thing i dont have to stand before God and say i voted for some drinks that only stay in your system for a while..and then dissolve

MY ANSWER IS NO! If you disagree then im sorry thats my opnion and i am sticking to it

And i dont wanna get bashed just for the fact that I AM A CHRISTIAN!

So if i go out tonight and get killed in an accident because someone was driving drunk would you vote against it? Prolly not because im not your kid.. just remember YOUR actions and the VOTE will depend on someones life!

Good night!

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`. .... ♥PeAcHy♥Go to Top of Page

Gaonmymind

199 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  9:30:49 PM  Show Profile
I think this topic has gotten out of hand, and maybe should be listed under a new topic as "what churches want".
I think I remember that it is said that government and churches should be kept seperate-or something to that matter.
(I'm sure someone will correct me)
A vote is going to happen whether restuarants can serve drinks. I see no where in the vote that if a restuarant serves drinks that those that do not want them have to imbibe.
This has nothing to do with churches.
It does not mean that there will be more or less "drunks" on the roads. The drunks are there whether you want them or not. It does not matter if they've had dinner in town at a place where they serve drinks or not.
It really does NOT HAVE ANY THING TO DO WITH CHURCHES!!
Vote how you want-do as you want-just don't try to push your believes onto another.
What you believe is between you and yourself and God. Just leave it at that.
This is America after all and people do have the right to do as they please-so-far.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  9:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
People are already driving drunk, and there's nary a legal drop to be purchased anywhere in the county. Every week in the police report are folks arrested for DUI. Voting yes for alcohol won't change that either way.

I'm a Christian also. And yet, my faith doesn't prevent me from drinking. A large number of Christian denominations also accept that drinking is acceptable, whereas drunkenness is not. One of the things Casey was trying to point out was that not all Christian groups abstain from alcohol.

Nelly and Lady said it most eloquently - we prayerfully decide what feels right in our heart, and go with that. If my vote is the opposite of yours, I'm not demeaning your reason for voting that way. Only going with what my heart says to me.

We can talk about reasons for this and that position about alcohol for days and days and days. The truth of the matter is that nearly all of us have our minds already made up on how we'll vote. The best we can do is make our position known and why, with the idea that perhaps the other person will understand us just a little bit better.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 04/14/2006 9:36:14 PMGo to Top of Page

peaches

USA
2914 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  9:50:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:

What you believe is between you and yourself and God. Just leave it at that.

I have to disagree my faith tells me to spread the word and thats what i do!

Anything you all say isnt going to hurt me because i know what i stand for.. and CHURCHES are voting against it.. why? because thats GODS WORD!

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`. .... ♥PeAcHy♥Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  11:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Native, I applaud you for taking such a firm stand for what you believe in!!!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  01:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Native, you can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you are saying you felt compelled to quit drinking because you recognized that you personally had a problem with alcohol.

Okay, I can accept that.

But, since you don't drink anymore and have yourself under control, I wonder why it matters if a restaurant is licensed to serve a glass of wine. I don't see what difference it makes to Blairsville if a restaurant sells the wine instead of the diner brown bagging it. The end result is the same.

It's like saying "I have a personal problem I need to control AND I want to control others too." But most people don't become alcoholics.

As I said, you can vote however you like, but I can't figure out the reasoning.

Also, as to wine being weaker in biblical times, as the following essay on wine and scripture points out, any alcohol content at all will get you drunk IF you drink enough of it.

The bible is against abuse of wine, not having a drink or two.

http://www.scripturessay.com/q342a.html

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  01:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps SOME may be, but perhaps many are not. It sounds like your statement is all inclusive of all churches. But then again, maybe I misread or misunderstood.

Actually, Gray, I was trying to get a clear answer whether Native is saying a majority of Blairsville churches are trying to influence the vote.

I'm not implying ALL churches because there are denominations that have no problem with alcohol in moderation. But it sounds like she suggested that more churches are trying to influence the vote than not.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  02:00:16 AM  Show Profile
They can serve wine in Murphy, by the glass, or you can brown bag your liquor.

Coosa, I just read this. Now that you refreshed my memory, the vote in Murphy was for the sale of wine and beer in stores.

It was voted down.

Many of the churches got their people to vote in droves on the issue. They preached it passionately from the pulpit.

Citizens of Murphy drive to Andrews to buy their wine and beer. And yet, there is the irony that you CAN buy hard liquor in Murphy.

Crazy.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  02:15:26 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking . . .

On Sunday, though I don't go to church, I will be having Easter dinner with friends at their new home in Blairsville.

While I am sleeping late, these friends will be rising early for a Sunrise Sermon and then attending their regular church service later that morning. They have been welcomed with open arms at their church and he has been made a deacon.

No wonder. These people are good people . . . kind and compassionate people who always help others. You can't fake that.

There will be wine at their dinner, like always.

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  07:25:06 AM  Show Profile
I did not read all the post up to this point, and this may have already been posted but the city did vote to also place acohol on a ballot. I think for the same time as the county on in July.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  08:53:44 AM  Show Profile
No, Mac, that has not been told. that is interesting. This should be a topic about alcohol on the ballot and nothing to do with churches. I have had a drink with every dinner I have eaten out in this county. I have never had a ticket or an accident in my life. I have had a driver's license for almost 50 years, without one ticket or accident. How many of you can say the same? I have never gone above the speed limit or tail gated!! This area has the worst drivers I have ever seen and there is no alcohol sold in Union.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  09:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
quote:
This area has the worst drivers I have ever seen and there is no alcohol sold in Union.
Coosa, too bad you haven't driven down here! You would appreciate more the Good drivers you have up there! I mean now, not 10-20-30 years ago.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?

Edited by - GrayEagle on 04/15/2006 09:05:25 AMGo to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy