New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 20 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile
And what is the deal with saying that because Blairsville is a "Christian Community" that drinking is wrong.

Which Christian denominations count as "Christian"? Guess what? The Christian universe is not ONLY made up of Baptists!

There is no consensus in Christianity that drinking is wrong; only that drunkenness is. Lets see . . . as I recall, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc . . . are NOT opposed to drinking!

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Good point, wildflower!!

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  2:31:07 PM  Show Profile
It's based on their own churches beliefs, not their religion. I don't like anyone telling me what to do or not to do. Probably why I don't like organized religion.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  4:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Maddy

Organized religion is structured from the top down. There is little grassroots input. The idea is that those at the top "know" and those at the grassroots level "must learn." There is no democratic process, or not acceptance that a wide base of believers can produce a better understanding of inspiration.

When there is grassroots input, often great struggles occur. Luther's theses nailed to the door of the church at Wittenburg is an example of how one voice can provide the spark for bureaucracy to change.

If Luther's theses had only created greater quality of faith, the effort would have better. The theses only exchange one hierarchy for another.

TybeeGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  11:35:06 AM  Show Profile
I had dinner with some friends in Blairsville the other week, and I heard an interesting point-of-view about your upcoming vote.

One person said he was going to vote "YES" to wine and beer, and "NO" to mixed drinks. (I didn't know the vote was divided that way.)

His rationale is that having escaped the big city, he wasn't looking forward to large chain restaurants coming in. He said he would rather see local one-of-a-kind restaurants prosper. So, he figures that keeping mixed drinks out will hold back the chains, but wine and beer will help the local restaurants to make money and stay in business.

And it might encourage new ones to open.

I'm in Towns County myself and I feel the same as this Blairsville person. I would rather see more unique restaurants prosper. Having always lived in a city, there are only a handful of chains that seem worthwhile to me.

I really don't want malls either. A Target, a Publix, and some interesting unique restaurants and shops are all I want. Anything more than that is going to destroy what I moved here for.

I can go to Gainesville for a mall in 1 hour.

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  4:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Wildflower. you state you can go to a mall in Gainesville, Ga. Pray tell, where is a mall in Gainesville? Surely you jest in calling Lakeshore a mall? Am I missing something in Gainesville?

Social changeGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
quote:
Surely you jest in calling Lakeshore a mall?

It is not a jest. I think McGraw Hill has a most appropriate definition for a mall: "a shopping center with a pedestrian focus where customers park in outlying areas and walk to the stores."

Colonial Mall Lakeshore does qualify as a shopping mall. For anchor stores they've got Belk, JC Penney, and Sears. When I look at the listing of stores there, I see store names I associate with malls everywhere.

Perhaps you have something else you look for in a mall that you're missing, but that doesn't invalidate Lakeshore as being one.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 04/08/2006 4:57:54 PMGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  5:01:42 PM  Show Profile
I am referring to the ongoing problems and deterioting conditions at Lakeshore. I believe Belks left last year and consolidated the Gainesville store with the Cumming, Ga. store. Because of the crime problems within the complex, security is now so tight that it deters patrons. Most of Hall County now goes to the Mall of Georgia which is only a few miles away.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  5:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
It's hard indeed for them to compete with Mall of Georgia...

Also, I didn't realize Belk's had moved out of there. With 515 between here at Atlanta, it's a lot easier running down to Town Center Mall these days.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 04/08/2006 5:19:32 PMGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  8:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Town Center, Northpoint, Mall of Georgia or Riverstone. It is very hard for older shopping centers, located in basically the center of town to compete with the newer mega malls on the outskirts. However, I read somewhere that huge malls are becoming "not the in place" because of the cost of building and maintaining. Developers are going to the smaller neighborhood shopping centers. Personally, I do not like big malls, to much walking and to many people for my liking.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  09:44:28 AM  Show Profile
I will drink to that! I don't go to any malls!

Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage
Me either Coosa. I haven't been to the Volusia Mall in Daytona in more than 5 years. My office was only 10 minutes away from the mall and I still avoided the place.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  2:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
Fawn and Coosa, I can't stand going to the malls down here. Well, come to think of it, I'm not too happy going to any mall. I would rather shop online or (don't tell Maddy) Wal-Mart Supercenters!

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  6:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Social,

LOL!

I haven't been to Lake Shore yet. I'm just saying . . .

Anyway, I'm more inclined to travel to Gainesville to try out their Target. I think it's supposed to be fairly new?

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  6:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Anyway, I spent 17 years in a city that's the third largest retail center in the U.S.

I'm done; stick a fork in me.

Nowadays, I do most shopping via catalogs, online, or local. I have a black belt in online shopping.

People are always asking me . . . "Where did you get THAT?"

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  8:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Wildflower, glad to hear of a Target in Gainesville, hopefully there might be one in Blue Ridge next to Home Depot.

If there was not for online shopping or Ebay, I wouldn't have anything. I do not like malls, crowds or standing in line for anything.

Just an old opinionated curmudgeon

Butterfly

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  9:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Just so you know Social Change, Belk is still at Lakeshore Mall. They have even expanded (imagine that - unreal for a mall that is going under)!!!!! It may not be Mall of Georgia, but it is still accomadating to those of us that do NOT want to travel further! It has been through some changes in the last few years, but it has held its own! Oh, by the way, I was there this past week in case you were wondering how I knew.

Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  9:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
<<Grabs a hold of the discussion and drags it, kicking and screaming, back to "Alcohol by the drink" >>

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  12:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey, can we tie it together by discussing whether drinking should be allowed in malls?

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  08:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage
Yes...I was wondering the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  10:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Butterfly, 2 years ago when Belks took over the old K-Mart in Cumming, the Belks manager said the plan was to close the gainesville store and consolidate with Cumming. They did in fact move a lot of merchandise from Gainesville to Cumming. They may have run into a lease problem. Oh Well!

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Admin---this topic has gone from religion to alchohol to malls. I guess it is time to clean this out and start over. I have lost track which is really not hard for me to do.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile
The last time I ate in Gainesville was at a restaurant at the Mall. They allowed alcohol in the restaurant.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
It may help to go back to page one and read the post that Shadow started. The topic is about the referendum for the sale of alcohol by the drink in restaurants in Union County.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  9:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Reading the NGN today & the "letters to the editor", got me wondering about this pastor who wrote in about "the drunkard". Is he talking about the alcohol by the drink vote and the drunkards voting against the Church? I'm so lost on why it's even thought of being a vote against the Church?? Maybe I'm missing something??

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy