New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 16 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Something else I was wondering...

IF this "by the drink" is voted in, will that also let "Adult Bars" come in also? The ones that are "ENTERTAINING" to men? I just thought of that and was wondering.

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  11:06:49 AM  Show Profile
No, it says specifally no stand alone bars. Only places that derive 60% or more of their income from the sale of food! Blairsville will not become daytona beach.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  11:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
The entire text of the Commissioner's statement is posted on page 3 of this topic.

Two paragraphs there read:

quote:
This vote will be only for sales of alcohol, by the drink, in restaurants. The proposed ordinance will not allow sports bars or any other type of stand alone bar. Any sales of alcohol must be incidental to the sale of food. In other words, the majority of sales and income, at least 60%, must be from food.

and
quote:
"In putting this referendum on the ballot, I have made an accompanying commitment that if the alcohol "by the drink" referendums pass, I will not approve the sale of alcoholic beverages in package form nor permit establishments that do not meet the conditions of the proposed ordinance to exist in the county."

The other ordinance that would be applicable to the scenario you pose is Chapter 10 Article II of the Union County Code titled "Adult Entertainment". Reading through it, you'll find it's very restrictive, even without the addition of alcohol.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/18/2006 11:51:36 AMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  11:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Ok, that answered that in it's entirely! LOL! Thanks Shadow!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  12:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Lamar is being very careful. There will never be a nightclub here that serves liquor in my lifetime!

Go to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  1:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Here's more proof that Prohibition doesn't work: Despite being one of two dry counties in Georgia, Union County's juvenile DUI arrest rates are well above the state average.

http://www.ganet.org/cjcc/crimestats/jat/DUI%20JUVENILE%20ARRESTS%20&%20ARREST%20RATES%20BY%20COUNTY.HTM

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  1:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Chris, can you tell me how the second column (DUI Juvenile Arrest Rate) is calculated?

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile
I would have to guess it's calculated as a function of the offenders vs. the total juvenile population, or on an X per 100,000 basis. That is why the larger counties like Fulton and DeKalb have smaller rates despite a larger absolute number of juvenile DUIs. Or how a county like Clay can have 3 juvy DUIs but a 301.51 arrest rate. The math has a noticeable bias against sparsely-populated counties, which makes for rather misleading DUI rates. I would have to say the absolute number of DUIs is more important than the rates in terms of traffic safety, but peer pressure and influence are best measured by rate equations.

Go to Top of Page

Morning Coffee

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  4:46:40 PM  Show Profile
So far I've read all sorts of revelations how serving alcohol by the glass will change lives and Blairsville.

The reality is until there is a city government that includes a city planner, nothing is going to change in Blairsville. The same run of the mill restaurants will exist, with the same clientele, but you can have a drink with dinner. Mike's Seafood moved from one crappy location to another...the only major improvement is the parking lot is bigger and has less pot holes.

Downtown Blairsville looks blighted, there is no planning commission
that oversees development in the downtown area. If a lot is empty, something is built without any foresight towards the future.

Restaurants that many of you think will come, won't. They don't invest in an areas like Blairsville. If so, they would be in Blue Ridge, Murphy and surrounding areas that sell alcohol. If it weren't for the lake and Brasstown Resort in Towns County there wouldn't be so many places to eat there.

The demographics in the mountains doesn't meet the criteria of Red Lobster and the other chain restaurants mentioned here. Lunch time in Blairsville restaurants looks like the dining area in any senior living facility. That isn't the clientele that will draw big businesses to this area, wine or no wine.

I've socialized with the city council in Blue Ridge. Along with merchants, they have invested time and money to make their downtown attractive. Blue Ridge draws tourists who love to wander downtown, shop, take a train ride and mingle, which contributes to the town's coffers. Sale of alcohol isn't the attraction.

The sale of wine and beer by the glass isn't going to make any changes in this community...I read here Towns County earns $150,000 a year in revenue from the sales of alcohol, which is a pittance in the large scheme of government.

Until the downtown area looks more inviting nothing much is going to change, except you'll be having a glass of wine with your dinner at Monet's or a beer at Mike's.

I see so many cute, well-planned, unique downtown areas that are so inviting in the mountains, then there is Blairsville.

Still voting NO on alcohol sales and Mr. Lamar Paris.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  5:55:52 PM  Show Profile
The more wine you drink, the better the town looks!

Go to Top of Page

Morning Coffee

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  6:05:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:

The more wine you drink, the better the town looks!

I prefer ambience when I have a cocktail....some pleasant atmosphere. On a nice day, I enjoy sitting on the deck at Brasstown having a glass of wine...now that's lovely. I don't drink to drink.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  6:55:26 PM  Show Profile
I'll drink to that. To be on topic.

We go to Helen and get a hotel if we want to go dancing. We go down the a resort place to get a social life. I live here for friendly people, small town atmosphere, sunshine and beautiful scenery everywhere I go.

I know the people at the school and they know me. I know the people at my church and they know me and I just moved here.

It's a devine place to raise my boy and a place I'd never want to leave.

A toast to you and finding what brings you happiness.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Please keep this topic focused on "Alcohol By The Drink". I started a topic for you to discuss the separate subject about downtown development of Blairsville and copied the relevant posts over to there.Go to Top of Page
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Morning coffee, I like ambience with my evening meal too. That is why I don't eat at rib country or catfish corners. I used to eat at The Village restaurant where it was quiet and dark. Now that it has closed, I eat at Monets'. It is usually quiet in there, and you can't hear what your neighbor at the next booth is saying, plus the owners are very nice.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  09:47:42 AM  Show Profile
We've brown bagged it in Catfish corner, but the ambiance sure isn't there!!

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  10:09:19 AM  Show Profile
I know that you can brown bag at catfish corner, but it looks pretty noisy. I can't stand the cookie jar because of the noise. I think the old lighting place on the corner of the square would have made a wonderful restaurant.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile
I just stumbled onto this thread and one question is burning in my mind:

Does your Commissioner REALLY think his government can PREVENT alcoholism??????

The last time I checked, alcoholism was a personal issue compounded with genetic links. So, wow, if he can PREVENT it, he must be God.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile
I am sure he does not think that.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  1:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, I read the Commissioner's statement, and he mentioned it at least twice.

He said preventing alcoholism is important in considering any changes in the law.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  1:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Its a wait and see thing to me for sure. Theres been sooo much happen that I alone just knew this would go and it didnt. It is something I think everyone is anticipating as either a flat yeah or no. Ive not heard anyone that I recall actually say.. I dont know if this will happen.

Either way it goes, its NOT gonna be just because of one man.. I dont think so anyways but Ive been wrong many times.

What happens is gonna. Now, or Later.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  1:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Morning Coffee,

I have read your posts and I have some questions.

Who qualifies as "the community"? Is it only "locals" or are "newcomers" part of the community too?

If newcomers are not part of the community, can they stop paying property taxes?

Where do you get your information that "newcomers" don't contribute to the community? I recall a local on here mentioning that many charities like S.A.F.E. are more heavily staffed by newcomers who volunteer than locals, even though locals benefit the most!

If communities should never evolve or change, then should we take away all modern conveniences? Maybe we should get rid of automobiles and telephones and electricity. After all, they weren't always here and SOMEONE had to PUSH FOR CHANGE to make them happen.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  2:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Also, since you say the Baptists have the only opinion that counts around around here, have they read that Jesus turned the water into wine?

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  2:56:09 PM  Show Profile
The money that is spent on educating drug awareness is a good deed I do believe.

The AA groups have met in UC for some time now. The alcohol awareness has always been stressed by campaigns and public knowledge.

Now my thing is with people being conserned about the dependancy rates and such is... have those who are using this as a excuse to keep alcohol out of UC been the ones who have put their foots forward to aid the aloholics who are already here or have they just use this as an excuse when the issue of we MIGHT get alcohol in the county?

As for throwing up churches and such.. how many of our churches are used for AA meetings and support?

A person who is so strong in their beliefs against this issue should make strides not just in mouth work but in hand and foot work.

Are people against it for the right reasons? Yeah I am sure those who are against it are but to make a real consern known, what have you done to help those who need help now and the many years we have had AA meetings here?

Do you actually shun the whole thing or do you contribute to the issues you are conserned about?

I aint never said I wasnt crazy or that I was highly uneducated.

I still dont understand where people thinks that just because they thought it was a dry county - that it meant NO ONE does this or that... I dont understand why someone would be so descraced by the town they chose to move to either. I guess cause Im not in their shoes and Ive always ALWAYS been proud to be a Union County resident and LOCAL. God gave me a place in this world and its here. Im greatful. I dont look at tulips and say O HOW GROSS THEIR GREEN IS.. I say, arent they beautiful with the yellow that has the green steems that give the color!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 03/24/2006 2:57:07 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  3:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Wildflower, when I moved her (early 80's) I noticed that the humane societies were started by and run by volunteers from other areas.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I've noticed the same, Coosa.

But how on earth could that be? Everyone KNOWS (according to Morning Coffee) that newcomers don't contribute to the community!

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy