New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 19 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:11:59 PM  Show Profile
I just want to know one thing....Is the Mexican restaurant & Mike's in that little square city limits area????

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Maddy

No they would not be in the square on the map. However, does that square represent the true city limits?

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/15/2006 10:42:10 PMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Commissioner Paris' statement on the Alcohol By The Drink Referendum, presented in its entirety:

This issue has, without a doubt, been the most contentious that I have dealt with as a Commissioner.

Over the past five years, the number of people moving to Union County and the diversity of that population has been tremendous. The demands to allow alcohol sales from not only new citizens, but from those who have lived here for years has been constant. Although we have a Sole Commissioner form of government in Union County, I have made a hallmark of my administration to receive input from the public when making decisions. There have been many committees and groups of individuals who have given valuable input into decisions it has been necessary for me to make.

Therefore, I am going to allow the public the opportunity to vote on this issue and make their own decisions. In dealing with alcohol sales, there are three main concerns that must be considered:
* First, and most importantly, is preventing underage drinking.
* Second, is prevention of an increase in DUIs.
* Third, is prevention of alcoholism

The particular issue of alcohol sales is a decision I do not feel comfortable making alone. While I have never liked the idea of making package sales available out in the county where it can not be controlled, and have been steadfast against them, it has become increasingly difficult to explain why alcohol sales by the drink would be so bad for our community. I have spoken with many people with differing opinions, but very few that do not go to a Red Lobster or Long Horn's because of the alcohol issue. Since I strongly feel it is necessary to let the public assist in this decision, simply calling a vote seems like the fairest thing to do and let the public decide.

This vote will be only for sales of alcohol, by the drink, in restaurants. The proposed ordinance will not allow sports bars or any other type of stand alone bar. Any sales of alcohol must be incidental to the sale of food. In other words, the majority of sales and income, at least 60%, must be from food.

The guidelines for restaurants will be very strict and background checks will be required. Any restaurant caught intentionally selling alcohol to a minor, even one time, will lose their license on the first offense, plus the fines and penalties will be significant. Any restaurant that allows a patron to leave the grounds intoxicated can be legally liable, and again, would lose their license. In addition, should a patron have a serious accident or cause one because of being DUI, the restaurant could very easily lose the business and much more from potential lawsuits. And finally, alcoholic drinks purchased in a restaurant are expensive. If drinking out of addiction is your problem, it will be much cheaper to drive to Blue Ridge, Murphy, or Hiawassee, as many already do. If people are going to a restaurant just to drink, they will have to find another county to do it in.

In putting this referendum on the ballot, I have made an accompanying commitment that if the alcohol "by the drink" referendums pass, I will not approve the sale of alcoholic beverages in package form nor permit establishments that do not meet the conditions of the proposed ordinance to exist in the county.

I am against package sales in the county because if alcohol was available in every convenience store in the county, it would be impossible to police and prevent underage drinking, alcoholism, or DUIs.

This is not a revenue based decision, but an economic development decision.

The passage of this referendum will not guarantee that a Red Lobster, Longhorn Steak House, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, or similar chains will locate here, but we can be guaranteed that we will NEVER attract any of them if this referendum is not passed.

This is certainly not to say that we don't already have some excellent restaurants, because we do.

But as we continue to grow, chain restaurants can certainly have an economic impact as the community seeks additional retail and manufacturing establishments and jobs.

When deciding to put this issue on the ballot, the decision was made to write an accompanying ordinance that would be one of the strictest in the State.

That ordinance will be on the county web site at www.unioncountyga.gov very soon. There may be some minor changes, but the basic principals will remain the same.

I feel confident that the way we are handling this issue with a very strict ordinance, will help prevent all three potential problems mentioned above. There are a lot of people who think it is ridiculous that we do not have alcohol sales in Union County already and there are also those who think even the mention of alcohol is evil and that no good can come from any type of alcohol sales. Both sides have their points, with several citizens already making those pitches to me.

The consumption and sales of alcohol are legal in Georgia and every other state in the nation.

However, by putting it on a ballot, it allows our citizens the right to choose what they want. If it fails, it is a dead issue. If it passes, it will be strictly controlled and enforced.

The proposed ordinance will require that an alcohol board be appointed to supervise the license approval process and insure that licenses are only approved to those few that will be able to comply with the strict criteria of the ordinance.

In the coming weeks I will devote a significant amount of my questions and answers column to this issue.

Here are a few questions that I have already received.
Q. What exactly will we be voting on?
A. The exact wording has not yet been prepared but, as required by law, there will be two issues on the ballot. You will have to vote separately:
* Beer/wine by the drink
* Liquor by the drink
The question will be "YES" I want beer/wine by the drink or "NO" I don't want beer/wine by the drink.
The next question will be "YES" I want liquor by the drink or "NO" I don't want liquor by the drink.

Q. What if one issue passes and the other fails?
A. If only"beer and wine by the drink" passes, restaurants would be allowed to sell only beer/wine. However, a chain restaurant will not come to Union County without the sale of both beer/wine and liquor. They can not make their required return on investment otherwise.

Q. If this passes in the county, will the same apply in the city limits of Blairsville?
A. No. The City of Blairsville is a totally separate issue. If the county adopts "alcohol by the drink" it would not apply to any property within the city limits. For sales in the city to be allowed, the city would also have to put it on a separate ballot for just their voters.

Q. Will the voters in the city be able to vote on this issue?
A. Yes, just as they do in county elections. THIS vote, however, would only apply to restaurants outside the city limits.

Q. Would our referendum make Union County similar to Towns County?
A. No, because our ordinance will be much stronger.

Q. What about the necessary increase in law enforcement to control problems arising from alcohol sales?
A. Reports from some Towns County law enforcement officials state that they have not had any significant problems due to "by the drink" sales. Towns County has sales in stores, bars, and by the drink in restaurants.

Q. Don't some chain restaurants have bars in them?
A. Yes, but they are not stand alone and are incidental to the sale of food in the restaurant and in conjunction with said food sales.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/15/2006 10:32:06 PMGo to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Regarding Mike's new place and Monte Alban, the Google Earth map shows the city limits takes in about 2/3's of the golf course. The limits are south of Mnte Alban's and east of the highway for Mike's

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/15/2006 10:41:39 PMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Here's another map that may help: http://69.93.172.236/clm/clu4297.gif
(from City-Data's site on Blairsville)

Then you can compare to Google Map's version, which shows the city limits as a slightly darker shade than the rest of the background: http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.875792,-83.95503&spn=0.028659,0.0527
(then you can zoom in)

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/15/2006 10:49:39 PMGo to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  12:20:57 AM  Show Profile
Let's hope the city doesn't counter this thing by annexing all the land around the highways (like Jasper), which would prevent every restaurant from obtaining a county pouring license.

Go to Top of Page

rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I have not read the article but can beer and wine be sold inthe grocery stores?

By not allowing alchohol in restaurants, it just drives patrons away and the fact that alchohol is not sold in stores in Union County does not mean people will not drive to the nearest location to purchase. Its Union Counties loss of revenue. Nothing irritates me more than for someone else trying to decide what I want and like and to decide whats good for me.

Personally I will vote YES and be proud of it.

Social Change

rmreedGo to Top of Page

rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:24:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

I have not read the article but can beer and wine be sold inthe grocery stores?

By not allowing alchohol in restaurants, it just drives patrons away and the fact that alchohol is not sold in stores in Union County does not mean people will not drive to the nearest location to purchase. Its Union Counties loss of revenue. Nothing irritates me more than for someone else trying to decide what I want and like and to decide whats good for me.

Personally I will vote YES and be proud of it.

Social Change

I think this is just a cop-out. Why are we not putting beer, wine, liquor in the stores? That is where we would get revenue from. If your going to put it on the ballot, make it all the way. However, Paris stated he would not do that. Well--it is not up to him, he is there to do what the people want. It still means that we drive 20 miles either way to buy the drink and throw the beer cans out all over the highway. Get real, Paris.

rmreed

rmreedGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
You don't eat an elephant all at once, you have to eat it one bite at a time.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:28:01 AM  Show Profile
The only purpose of this is to attract new restaurants. I would rather have a liquor store here so we don't have to drive to Murphy or Blue Ridge.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
Coosa, see my post ^^^^^ above yours.

GrayEagle

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
Dad you have a point and so does Chris.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
You don't eat an elephant all at once, you have to eat it one bite at a time.

GrayEagle

I agree with you Gray. I think it is an easier sell to 'ease' into this.
I do not agree with Lamar's stance that by not allowing package sales he will be contributing to the prevention of underage drinking, DUIs, and alcoholism. If you want it, you will get it.
I do like that he did emphasize the fact that Union Co. will NEVER get a chain restaurant if this doesn't pass.
Though, if this doesn't go through we will be driving to adjacent counties forever. Or at least until all the part-time residents become full time residents and are able to vote.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:18:52 AM  Show Profile
I have been driving to the other county for 22 years. Gray, I thought you told me you quit eating elephants!

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
Ok, how about:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

No more elephants for me. Too much fat.

GrayEagle

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  11:04:22 AM  Show Profile
Those elephants are fattening. My last statement was supposed to have a smiley behind it, but mine quit working. i will try again.

Go to Top of Page

Taylor Realty And Auction Co.

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  1:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Taylor Realty And Auction Co.'s Homepage
ALCOHOL BY THE DRINK ONLY LEADS TO ALCOHOL BY THE BULK!

Taylor Realty
843 South Main Street
P.O. Box 472
Burkesville,KY 42717
(270) 864-4300Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  2:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Gee...maybe that's because the citizens grew up finally and realized they didn't need the government to be their nanny?

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/16/2006 2:03:06 PMGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Shader, my dear friend. By Jove I think youve got it! :)

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  3:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I do not understand "liquor by the bulk." Are we talking package stores?

Secondly, the city limits is very small, if you draw a circle with a radius of 1/2 mile with the old courthouse at the center, that's the city limits.

I am sure the City will have to follow suit on this, but what if it passes in the county and not the city limits, or visa versa?

It would certainly put the restaurants in or out, depending on the vote, at a distinct disadvantage.

Mike's and Monte Alban's are not in the city limits. Cobb's Mill is in the city limits.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  3:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Well when we moved here you could buy beer-wine in the city limits of blue ridge, but not outside the limits. I don't "think" it has changed yet, they just moved the city limits.

Go to Top of Page

Alanaah

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  4:23:10 PM  Show Profile
I will vote yes. For one my hubby and I go to a fancier restaurant in another county once a month as a treat and spend our $$$ and have drinks, food desserts would'nt it be nice to be donating our taxes to our own county. An alcoholic or one with an alcohol problem will drive a long way to suffice their cravings , so having it in the next county is not going to reduce alcoholism or dui's , they'll just get caught more often and risk more lives by driving further.
Religion has nothing to do with this issue, remember we are called America "the melting pot" for a reason.
Oh and the statement that we are going to make this by the drink, so we can manage the intake or however they said it. When you buy from a package store usually you go to a destination to consume the liquor....somehow that seems safer then tryin to sober up from a restaurant to drive on home....think about that one.

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  4:55:32 PM  Show Profile
I will just bet you that if you asked the good folks that pick up our garbage and trash once a week what the outcome of the vote will be that they already have a pretty good idea.

They know how many empty "Bud Light" boxes there area around the county on trash days! They see all the evidence of beer cans and wine bottles every week, they know about just how many folks will vote yes!

We all see the roadside evidence, but they see all! Any trash guys out there care to predict this one!

Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  4:59:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a trash guy but I bet it will pass. lol

A closed mouth gathers no foot.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  5:03:50 PM  Show Profile
I predict it will pass, I am not a garbage man but my FIL owned a garbage collection company.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy