New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 18 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Smokey

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  11:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Seems to me it would be much easier to control how much a person drinks at your restaraunt if you were serving the drinks, as opposed to letting them bring their own and have no way of policing how much of it they drink.

Kindest Regards,

SmokeyGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  12:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Smokey, its good to see ya dahlin! And I agree with you. It would be and people couldnt look at the ones who carry in like they have just flown the coop either.. and thats happened.. but if you look at them crossed eyed, they stop that really quick! :)

As for the driving underage, thats off topic but a good one to start! Raise your hand if you drove before you gotchya license? IM RAISING MINE!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  5:09:34 PM  Show Profile
I never once drank underage!

Go to Top of Page

swtsue

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  6:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Coosa for sainthood ! lol

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Win,(I hope) Lose (who knows) or draw..........I voted yea about an hour ago.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  6:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
I think someone should start a campaign to ban driving cars. Statistics show that 100% of automobile fatalities involve a car.

It's such a dangerous activity, that we don't even allow our children to do it until their late teens. Even then, experienced folks know that is way too soon because of how dangerous the activity is. I say it's high time we stopped trading so-called freedoms for lives lost weekly and even daily to this menace. I'm always hearing on the scanner about the latest automobile accident. If we didn't allow driving, those people would still be walking around, without the pain and cost of automobile crashes.

Look around you - who reading this doesn't know someone that has been in an automobile accident? And everyone that is driving seems to have their own special way of breaking the law while driving. For some, it's driving too fast. For others, it's tailgating. For others, it's driving too slow or doing rolling stops at stop signs. Many don't use turn signals when turning, or headlights when raining. Just think if we didn't allow driving, how much safer the streets would be and how much less law-breaking would be going on.
==============
*PAUSE*
==============
Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? I can hear the cries already of "But driving is legal". Yes, and so is drinking wine, beer, and other forms of alcohol. And has been ever since the Amendment XXI to the Constitution of the United States was passed and ratified by Congress.

If alcohol kills, then guns kill. If alcohol kills, then fast food kills. If alcohol kills, then cars kill.

Trotting out stories about the horrors of the excesses of alcohol and the impact of the abuse of alcohol does not support the argument of voting "No" on the proposed alcohol referendum. You can make the same arguments today without any local sales of alcohol. And I can make the same arguments about cars and fried chicken.

Denying the ability to sell it locally just denies the ability to produce income for the county off of those sales. "Oh my, it's just a matter of money." "We don't want sell our morals for money." Well it's not about morals. It's about watching money better spent in our county rather getting spent in other counties and other states.

It's like the County having a large field, lying fallow year after year after year. They could lease it to someone that would work it, and collect income on that person's efforts, or forgo the cash.

What's the money matter? Whatever monies are collected from taxing alcohol sales, offsets by each dollar the amount our taxes will have to be raised. Did you catch the article last week about the school budget? How the State takes back some of their money each year now, yet the unfunded mandate of smaller student/teacher ratios comes due this year? I believe there will be a request/requirement to raise the millage rate to cover that shortfall. Every dollar the School System and County spends that they don't collect through fees elsewhere comes out of your and my and other landowners' pockets in the form of taxes.

Vote "Yes" because reason prevails.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
WELCOME BACK, SHADOW!!

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  6:38:56 PM  Show Profile
WOO HOO! Way to go Shader!

A toast to you!

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  10:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Shadow,

I'm getting a kick out of your post.

Nice to know that as soon as I go to sleep, you awake with a roar!

BTW, I would probably sooner be killed by my addiction to chocolate (and lack of exercise lately) than alcohol. ;) But if they outlaw the chocolate, I'll just become a bootlegger.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Hotdawg

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  11:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hotdawg's Homepage
well i say we all go back to the horse and buggy days
if you got a good horse he aint gonna run ya off the road
or into a tree

Hows This Gonna Work If You Dont Do As I Say. Charlie Wade "Open Range"

STS 121 GodSpeed

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile
I would have to bootleg chocolate too!! Shadow is right!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  03:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I have a question.. needed some tires.. so UBB what he thought.. his thang was .. he woulda done done this but the tax dollars didnt construct well. For the alcohol he said, there will have to be more patrol by police.. at least 2 new ones and two more cars.. which he said if you figure it yourself.. the cars and the wages for those 2 new cops or overtime for the other ones.. will take what lil gain after you pay out for a years worth of wages.. and cars - maintnance on the cars.. the fuelage.. soo I then wondered myself.. Now if you keep a unbiased mind.. well.. then I guess youd be confused for sure.. I done told yuns where I stand on this.. and yes, I am FOR IT! DID YOU READ THAT.. EVEN THO its for different reasons I guess. and no I dont totally agree with you Shader on the alcoholism.. tho people go get it and bring it here or are already alcoholics.. this is gonna impact there because its easier access.. you ever seen a coffee drinker at teh Waffle House? Specially when ya could smoke in there?? They will sit and intensify the 3 pots of coffee they already had.. and anyone who has been around an alcoholic enough ...

Now my pro about this is, its FAIR.. IF I CAN BUY CIGS.. YALL BUY BEER.. IF I LIVE IN AMERICA, WHY SHOULDNT WE HAVE THE FREEDOM THAT WE SAY WE HAVE AND IT IS NOT ILLEGAL! ALCOHOL IS NOT ILLEGAL.. Religion, well the Bible says there will be no drunkards in heaven.. ??? Well I dont clasify having a drink with dinner a drunkard.. A drunkard is no more than someone who over eats and thats called glutny! So there..

Shader, I said I wasnt gonna go here but I am here..lol Tho we may disagree on a few things, I still think the world of you and anyone else that may conflict in some ways of choices in life.. doesnt mean we dont like one another or are doing it out of spite.. its personal choice again.. FREEDOM TO CHOOSE ON THE RIGHTS WE HAVE AS AMERICANS TO PURCHASE ANYTHING THAT IS LEGALLY OBTAINED..

Sir Winston Churchill
I was told by my boss of the house to edit a tiny part of this.. sigh.

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 07/09/2006 09:44:19 AMGo to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  06:19:48 AM  Show Profile
My opinion on you post DoC is that its not gonna take any more police to patrol because of alcohol. We have more DUI, uderage consumption, public drunk and disorderly conduct arrest now than surrounding counties that sell it. Google it. Everything is a statistic these days. Do we need more police/deputies? Yes, the call load is rising steeply, On the average day you have three deputies and 2 police in the whole county. As the county grows call volume grows with it, to stay ahead of that you need additional police and fire personnel to be able to handle the increased need. So you will need the police whether or not alcohol passes.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  09:20:54 AM  Show Profile
I may need to go look at wheels.lol!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  1:51:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't see why you would need more cops either.

A coffee drinker does not compare. Coffee is cheap (especially at a Waffle House); wine with dinner is not!

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  2:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Alrighty then.. but the thing is, here is all our views and I was sharing views from outside of ours to possibly let both sides be seen.. I aint in a defence program and actually more that comes forth is educating. Mac, I can see us needed the extra patroling already anyways.. so true.. and yeah to know that we only have the 3 and 2/ there has been times when all were busy and then boom.. something happens while all were busy..

As for the Waffle house.. just came from there and naw, it aint cheap.. but then again.. I am unbiased but open to both sides... more outside of here than on here.. cause Ive heard different views outside of here and was just bringing them to light.. specially for the humble readers that only read what we are for..

What hunnys convo boiled down to is citizens want want want and budget is only this and that and this.. and its not gonna make an overall example is what was told.. I always thought Towns Co. was boomin cause of the taxes but in reality its the people who build there... build homes and businesses.. and go to the bank or spend their savings there... and yes.. lots choose there because of THE LAKE moreso than the alcohol.. I dont know why either cause I like our lake lots better but then again, I am biased and love Union Co..

Sir Winston Churchill

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 07/09/2006 2:58:57 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  4:05:46 PM  Show Profile
I don't feel like we will need any more law enforcement officers either.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Doc, Your Hunny is correct or I feel his opinion is right. We will need more officers with certain things, we DO need more officers in certain areas of every part of the county, kind of a Neighborhood Watch thing, to help stop all this Meth and Teen Drinking Parties. I will say I see more officers patroling our road now than ever before. I also seen too much harrassment or I feel it's harrassment with some of our teens who are just now getting their licenses and they are stopped for ...?? "Suspiocious Behavior"...

In fact, Just 2 weeks ago, 3 a.m. an officer Blue lighted Big Boy in our drive way half way down it, he (the officer) had been watching him the whole time. Well Big Boy was putting fishing bait into the "hole" from his arirator, The Cop told them he was just stopping for suspicious behavior, Big Boy and the other MAN, said well that's understandable, until he told them they needed to be at home and the MAN told the officer it wasnt any of his business when he went home and Big Boy said "Well Sir, I am home!"...The officer left!

I imagine most of the officers will be sitting duck for all the ones coming out of the restraunts....Because they will be keeping tabs with the owners of whose drinking and who isn't. So once they get in the vehicle.....And crank up....There will be their FIRST DUI! I wonder who will be the first???

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  6:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Do you really think no one has ever gotten a DUI in Blairsville after leaving a restaurant here? I don't think it would be the first.
Native, that is hilarious about your son & the officer.
I didn't know that there's only 3 officers on the force in Young Harris. Most of the times, it's only 1 patroling the area. I guess that's a small town!!!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  6:52:46 PM  Show Profile
"I imagine most of the officers will be sitting duck for all the ones coming out of the restraunts....Because they will be keeping tabs with the owners of whose drinking and who isn't. So once they get in the vehicle.....And crank up....There will be their FIRST DUI!"

It's not a DUI unless the blood alcohol level reaches a certain measurement.

Also, if that's what the cops are planning to do, they need to get something higher to aspire to in their careers. How small-town can you get?

Are they keeping tabs on brownbaggers now? Coosa, have you and hubby been stopped by the cops after dinner?

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  8:19:36 PM  Show Profile
No, never. The only time we were pulled over was when we took the 33 vicky. Turned out the brake light had burned out and the officer just wanted to tell us.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  9:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Well I am sure they will make an example out of someone.. God only knows but I think for small town, they stay very educated on the goings on and maintaining peace and justice..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  12:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Sorry DoC,

It doesn't seem that way to me.

Between the stories ya'll tell about people being stopped for window tints, Native's son being quizzed at his own home, the over-the-top standards for school attendance when children are actually sick, and now the opinion that the police will likely be looking to make an example out of someone who leaves a restaurant . . . honestly . . . it seems like the citizens of Blairsville are treated just like little children.

Why do people in Blairsville put up with this?

There is no reason for adults to live under such an authoritarian regime.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
There's always 2 sides to a story, so to say our police here are treating the citizens like children or that we're under some regime is pretty silly. I suppose it's better to be treated like children than to live in a town that it's police are full of corruption.
Off topic, I know. (sorry!)

Edited by - mad4martinis on 07/10/2006 09:27:44 AMGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Maddy,

I meant that if it's true that the police will purposely try to make an example of someone, then the citizens of Blairsville are being treated like children; not the police officers.

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy