New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 9 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Walmart and Commisioner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  9:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm, I'll have to ask my friend who is a "biggy" at Publix if that's true. I hope it is!!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

AlphaDraconis

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  10:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlphaDraconis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An interesting random study I found a reference to in a magazine.

http://cecd.aers.psu.edu/pubs/PovertyResearchWM.pdf

That's a Penn State study that apparently (I've not read the study) finds that food stamp usage increases after Wal-mart moves into a rural county.

If you don't want to read the PDF study itself, type "penn state walmart study" into Google, and it finds plenty of other articles about the study.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll show you one Wu! & they pay 50% of their insurance premium, if they want it.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  11:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why would they hire them if they are already with jobs with walmart & the stores around there?
I can tell you that there's probably more than one mom & pop store, but that's all I can speak for. part timers too, making more than minimum wage with ins. benefits after 30 days, some have free housing, some get 6 month sabiticals and can come back anytime with their jobs still available. Crap, no vacation pay, but it's one big vacation anyway.
walmart doesn't offer that.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  12:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree totally Wu, but I just don't want people working towards further poverty or staying at that level.

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  9:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One day last week I also heard the Publix rumor, but in Blue Ridge, then we heard that is was Walmart?? Why do the local newspapers not stay on top of these stories, get us some real facts ???

All we have for retail here are dollar stores ( all over the place ) and cabin decor stores, some antiques, at least Walmart would be a one stop shopping place for everything just like the commercial says!

We are just too small yet for higher end retail I guess, I am not so sure that Walmart would be better than nothing. The jobs supplied by Wally World would be nice, but do we want our children to aspire to jobs at Walmart for lack of any other choices in Union County ? I don't think so ?? I think some of the stuff that comes with Walmart may be worse than the "yes" vote. Stand out in the Murphy Walmart or Elijay Walmart parking lot some weekend evening and take a good look at what's around, not so sure it's what's best for "lil ole " Blairsville!Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy