New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 18 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Shadow, I was in the process of postin a good bit of stuff but work duty called first.

~What you fail to conquer will conquer you!~Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
quote:
Legal Age to Consume Alcohol - 21
Legal Age to Serve Alcohol - 18
Legal Age to Sell Alcohol - 18 *

The Georgia Code that applies to this are 3-3-23 & 3-3-24. Because of the way the language is written, it's actually easier to read them in reverse oder. The links are here:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=3-3-24
States minimum age of 18 to serve alcohol, except for certain places like grocery stores

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=3-3-23
Stuff about proper drinking age, but with text saying this doesn't prohibit someone less than 21 from serving alcohol

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Shadow, what do you know about the proposed 19/129 by-pass? I didn't want to start a new topic without knowing if there's much to say about it.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile
I'll vote "yes", but I'd personally rather brown bag it in a place. Liquor in restaurants have a high mark up. Some places it's normal to have a 120% markup, if not higher. But, it will bring in the O'Charleys and Longhorns of the world!!

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

Morning Coffee

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:54:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Morning Coffe, bless your heart. Why should we go to another county just because you do not like it? What has someone having a glass of wine over dinner, going to do to you? The people that want a drink, and frankly most of Union county does, are going to drink anyway. so we might as well get the revenue from it. You cannot legislate morals or feelings. Your name says it all, Morning Coffee! Why don't we just ban cofee in the county, then maybe you can go to Gilmer for coffee. Not being mean or sarcastic, just pointing out the frailties of this issue.

Thats my stand

Socail Change

If that were to happen, I'd drive to buy coffee, which I do!...Often I drive 1-1/2 hours for a Starbucks. I'd bring coffee home and not inflict my ideas on others.

What part of being a dry county didn't you get when you moved here? My morals don't enter into it...it has been the desire of the community not the have alcohol served in this county for decades. This is a Baptist community and they made the decision long ago to keep alcohol out of the county. I respect that.

Most of the county does not want alcohol served here...maybe in your circle it is popular idea. Personally, I see too many 'older' people who shouldn't be on the mountain roads after "a couple glasses of wine with dinner."

The local "born-and-raised" residents don't have idle time and the finances to eat out every night. They aren't in favor of the law for so many reasons. Just ask! They will vote against it and I will, too.

Once legislation passes that a glass of wine can be served, what's next?

That's my stand...

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile
Well, obviouslly there's a lot in this county who DO want it, or it wouldn't be on a ballot!
So, are you saying that it's the Baptist in this county that have made this a dry county? What's a persons faith have to do with it? I know plenty of Babtist who do enjoy wine or liquor. They don't overendulge themselves.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile
I want it here! I love Long horns and Chilis and all them what we call in this house fancy smantzy restr. because we only get that food when we go out of town... would be nice to have something other than canned foods and fake tators when ya go out to eat. We dont mind paying good money for GOOD food!

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  11:24:16 AM  Show Profile
And in addition... Im of the Baptist faith.. I also dont think one person should try to speak for everyone else when they dont know what the other wants. I dont care about the alcohol part at all. I just enjoy the food!

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Those who are Christian may be antidrinking in the majority, but there are others who oppose drinking. The reasons maybe as tradition as their church has always taught that drinking was against the Bible. The reasons may come out unfortunate life experience such as alcoholism is themselves or their families.

The question is: will antidrinking bias promote a denial of the freedom to drink responsibily to the rest of the county. The right for people to enjoy their lives unencumbered by governmental restraints is important to me.

Realizing that "the right to tax, is the right to regulate," I am in favor of as few government constraints on human activities as possible.

The exceptions are in the area of public safety and tranquility. One of the reasons there has is a "social compact" in the US is in the area of protection from genuine threats to the people.

IMO those threats do not include have a glass of wine with dinner.

There are other ways to confront alcoholism, drunk driving, alcohol related abuse, and the many problems which can come from alcohol. None of the solutions can come from slapping a law on it, whiich provides a sense of "Well I've done what I can" and tends to reduce the citizen involvement in activities which could help the problems.

The problems about alcohol abuse are already here in Union county. Voting dry is not going to make the problems go away. The problem can only be decreased by a concerted effort by the citizens of the county.

Citizen action in supporting AA, intensive education about alcohol in the school, the SAFE house and other groups who lend a hand, can create a positive change in the extent of the problems. Positive action is stronger than negative, and then not dealing with the problems. It is the problems that need attention directly. The sale of wine with dinner will not effect them.

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/15/2006 11:46:33 AMGo to Top of Page

Morning Coffee

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  11:52:26 AM  Show Profile
If alcohol sales is that big of an issue to so many people, I need to examine it further. When I want something badly, I go where it is...not try to change laws to accomodate my needs.

I eat out and have no problem taking a drive to have a good meal...but I certainly don't think liquor laws should be changed to make me more comfortable.

It seems we face much larger problems in this county and in the country than buying a glass of wine w/dinner.

It is unfortunate energy isn't placed where it will make a difference in all citizen's lives, not just a few.

I'm not a Christian or Baptist...but I sure do respect the religious community in Union County!

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  12:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Morning coffee, I thought I read somewhere that you occasionallyy take a drink. The first people I met when I moved here in 1984 were the local moonshiners. This isn't a dry area, it is just that the local moonshiners did not want competition! Still don't!

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  12:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I read you would rather have a martini in the welcome forum.

Go to Top of Page

Morning Coffee

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  1:27:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Morning coffee, I thought I read somewhere that you occasionallyy take a drink. The first people I met when I moved here in 1984 were the local moonshiners. This isn't a dry area, it is just that the local moonshiners did not want competition! Still don't!

My dear, you did...I never said I don't have an occassional drink, did I? But I don't believe I need to have the community adjust to my needs. I'm minutes away from areas that serve a drink if I want one, which is half the fun of living here.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  2:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
I don't think the issue of serving drinks at a restaurant is really the issue (may be wrong, of course). I think one of the issues is having some nicer restaurant to choose from. It just so happens that those restaurants serve alcohol by the drink and will not come to Blairsville because they cannot serve alcohol.

The extra tax revenue generated, the extra jobs created, the additional supplies needed (more jobs, more tax income) will help the community in general.

If you (generic) still want to drive somewhere else to eat or buy your week supply of alcohol, you are still free to do so.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  2:45:32 PM  Show Profile
GreyEagle

My angle was aimed at reducing one area in which "the government" controls normal human activity among us.

Your suggestion is certainly a part of the picture. Tourism in Union will be inhibited by a lack of name brand restaurants and the tax issue can deny money to the county budget.

A major question is whether the people will vote to win a pyrrhic victory which will prevent the sale of wine and beer. The victory is ambiguous because at the same time it does not address the needs of those who are problemed with alcohol, personally. Also, it removes a tax income which could even be used to benefit the alcohol diseased.

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/15/2006 2:47:20 PMGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  2:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
quote:
The victory is ambigulous because at the same time it does not address the needs of those who are problemed with alcohol, personally. Also, it removes a tax income which could even be used to benefit the alcohol diseased.

Unless I have missed what you were meaning, I would submit that there are people who already have problems with alcohol. I'm not sure that there will be a large per-capatia increase.

Anyway, I don't order much of anything other than wonderful sweet tea for me and a diet coke for my hunny. I just like having a choice of places to eat without having to drive to the next county. Oh yes, I do drink "leaded" coffee in the morning and sometimes "unleaded" coffee in the evening.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  3:06:44 PM  Show Profile
The real issue is to get nicer restaurants to the area.

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  5:04:35 PM  Show Profile
I am always intrigued when a serious topic comes up, invariably a persons religious faith, church afiliation, what a certain faith wants or doesn't want, invoking the name of God(even though I haven't seen this yet)is mentioned as a crutch to emphasize a point.

Not wanting to be accused of being an infidel, I really do not think a persons diety is interested in whether or not Union is wet or dry, or whether alcohol is served in restaurants.

Alchohol is a legal product and can be sold in every state in the U.S, with exception of communities that for some reason feel that the sale will forever taint and ruin the populace.

I dare say cigarettes and smoking kill more people every year that alchohol, but cigarettes are not banned anywhere. I stand on the premise that no one has the right to refuse to sell a legal product because a group of people somehow have decided it is wrong.

All most of us want is a fair shake, that is to remove the main stumbling block to Union County having some better restaurants. You can drink if you want to or just sit and enjoy a great meal, something that is currently missing in Union County.

Social changeGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
^^^^^^^ Yeah, what he said!!!

Locke

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  5:52:01 PM  Show Profile
The people who are permitted to vote on this issue are the community Ė if you vote yes, whether because you personally drink, because you are tired of sending the tax dollars to the neighboring counties, or any other reason of your own choice, you, as a member of the community are deciding what the community wants.

Voting yes on this issue doesnít mean you are changing the community to meet your needs, but that the community is changing to meet its own needs. Communities change, and as a result, they have to vote on whether the laws that they live by should change as well. In this country, itís the people that make the laws -- through their votes on ballot initiatives and through their votes for the representatives.

A decision to vote no on this issue should be based on your own personal beliefs, whether itís against the local sale and consumption of alcohol, a desire to keep the tourism and restaurant growth at bay for a few more years, or any other reasons of your own choice. If you want to vote no just because thatís the way it was when you moved in, but wouldnít be your personal preference, then donít bother voting, since either way, youíre not speaking for yourself as a member of the community.

I myself donít live in Union County, so donít get to vote either way Ė but Iím glad that you do get to vote.

---- "government with the consent of the governed", John Locke

Edited by - Locke on 03/15/2006 5:53:17 PMGo to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  6:09:24 PM  Show Profile
GreyEagle

This is from an earlier post today.

quote:

The problems about alcohol abuse are already here in Union county. Voting dry is not going to make the problems go away. The problem can only be decreased by a concerted effort by the citizens of the county.

Citizen action in supporting AA, intensive education about alcohol in the school, the SAFE house and other groups who lend a hand, can create a positive change in the extent of the problems. Positive action is stronger than negative, and then not dealing with the problems. It is the problems that need attention directly. The sale of wine with dinner will not effect them.

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/15/2006 6:10:50 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  6:19:48 PM  Show Profile
I certainly agree with everything that social change said.

Go to Top of Page

AlphaDraconis

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  6:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlphaDraconis's Homepage
I donít get the NGN, is this vote an actual initiative, or just a government issued public opinion poll? As in, does a 51% vote yes mean it will become a new county ordinance, or just that the Commissioner will feel somewhat comfortable moving forward with the issue (more like if it gets a 75% vote)?

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Draco, although not stated explicitly, the language of the anticipated ballot questions and the following explanations would seem to rely strictly on citizen votes so that 51% would indeed ensure that restaurants would be able to obtain the required license to serve alcohol.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  7:05:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Coosa, the picture on my Flickr site that shows the proposed 19/129 bypass also shows the city limits. You can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowbill/66375186/

quote:
it will not affect most of our restaurants or the workers at all because they are in the city limits. There will be NO alcohol sold by the drink inside the city limits.

I doubt this is true, if the County goes, the city would need to follow and I can't see where they wouldn't. Otherwise, you'll see a push by restaurants to move outside city limits.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

I don't know if that is true either, but if there was new growth outside the city limit, that would be fine, you can't have all of the shops in the one main area that exists now, all the traffic will always be heading that way.

It is growing so I say spread out the new shops/restraunts. Sometimes it's nice to drive in a different direction and see just how pretty it is that way.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy