New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 16 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile
I noticed that too Topaz. I drove past where one of your neighbors lives & she had a sign & then it was gone. I just thought she changed her mind! That's sad that someone would do that. Probably some kids out thinking they are being funny.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Anyone who would remove a sign from anothers property is nothing but a low life.Removing signs that are not agreeable to one is indictive of disrespect and intolerance,in addition to being unlawful.I have mentioned on a few occasions about preachers working.My main objective was to emphathize my object.I know that most of them do work and I have a favorable opinion of them.I don't think they care about my opinion ,and they shouldn't.I don't like and have no respect for the TV preachers such as Pat Robertson and it is apparent that I am not alone. I believe that preachers should mention the effects of drinking alcohol to their members and let that be the end of it. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  1:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Some friends of ours who own a business on Murphy Hwy, had a sign up in their yard, and some one egged BOTH OF their BRAND NEW cars, filled their mail boxes full of junk, only to name a few of the other disgusting things they done.

This is going to get ugly before it gets started. So it seems.

We were told that our sign was the only one not stolen on this road, but I believe I know why! LOL!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."

Edited by - nativelady on 06/03/2006 1:45:12 PMGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  2:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Here are two quotations that can be associated with the present theft of theft signs and the destruction of private property. 1. Private property was the original source of freedom.It still is, its main bulwark.Walter Lippmann There will always be those who will deny those freedoms. My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.Adlai Stephenson Again ,there will always be those who will not accept what they do not agree with. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  3:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Safe to be unpopular? I like that, no can be liked by all! Try being a President and you will suddenly have more enemies than anyone else in the world.

Saw a sticker today on a car that said, "I've lost my mind, I'll be back in 5 minutes." Love it!

Trashing someones property for not accepting their opinion is unbelievable! No two people EVER think alike all the time, just try marriage out for a while and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

It's about being self confident enough in your own shoes to allow others to be different.

Cherry Blossom

Edited by - Cherry Blossom on 06/03/2006 3:09:47 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile
I certainly don't agree with sign stealing or egging cars!

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  08:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Neither do I.
I just hope we get it passed. One of the Shooks over in Hiawassee told me yesterday that they were gonna get a Red Lobster out on the other side of Dairy Queen where all the grading is going on. Anyone able to confirm this?

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile
that's what the rumor is!! I hope so.
I don't think anyone would agree that it's a good thing to be stealing signs or even egging one's car. I do think the 2 incidents are not related. But, they could be which would only make me think of unruley, bored kids.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  08:53:51 AM  Show Profile
you know of course if they beat us to the draw with those good restaurants, Blairsville is finished. Hiawassee will get them all.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  11:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Maddy,

There is a Zaxby's going up in east Hiawassee. That may be the location you heard about.

As for Red Lobster, the rumor was that they were going in on the lot across from the "Right At Home" sign in Hiawassee.

The lot was a hill. They took the hill out and graded it. It's been sitting there for a couple of months now.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  5:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, they said a Zaxbys was going in there too. But I had forgotten what other place I was told. It seems irrevelant when talking about a really nice place.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile
I saw the big ad in the paper about alcohol, also a big truck, saying vote no was parked at the World Famous yesterday!

Go to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  1:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I wonder who's bankrolling the "Citizens for an Alcohol-Free Community" campaign. They have a huge billboard on 19/129 coming south from Murphy and a TV commercial(!) with the same message: A little girl, with teddy bear in tow, asking everyone to vote no. I guess the teddy bear comes home late every night smelling like Captain Morgan and verbally abuses her. Tugging at the heartstrings...what a classic political move.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  1:25:49 PM  Show Profile
From what I understand via friend, it's from a member of a church. There's over 200 people in the Meth clinic needing assistance, but no, that money had to go to a billboard.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  2:05:40 PM  Show Profile
They need to study history.

When Prohibition was in effect across the whole country, demand for alcohol went UP.

The age of the youngest drinkers went DOWN.

The number of people admitted to hospitals with alcohol poisoning went UP.

Women began drinking MORE.

Organized crime and violence went UP and UP and UP because of the lure of profits.

They're kidding themselves.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Wildflower, they'll never accept the fact that Prohibition never worked. They just do whatever certain people tell them to do, rather than think for themselves and consider the pros and cons of this issue. I know alcohol has been, is, and always will be around minors in this county, no matter how locally available it is. There will always be morons driving under the influence of alcohol in this county, no matter how locally available it is. The ordinance Lamar provided is about as conservative and safe a pouring license can be. With the threat of losing the license, no restaurant is going to serve an intoxicated person. And with no package stores or other retail alcohol sales allowed, Union County is not in danger of being overrun by drunken drivers and underage consumers of alcohol.

But NO! These "Citizens" want a theocracy right here in the Georgia Mountains! Next, they'll want to ban the high school prom because it promotes dancing, which is just SINFUL! After that, guns will be outlawed because we all know that, like alcohol, guns kill people. Why take a chance at promoting personal responsibility when we can just force our wacky religious beliefs on everyone else in Union County and maintain control through fire-and-brimstone politics? After all, what's a few hundred thousand dollars in tax money gonna do for this county? We don't need more teachers, policemen, or updated infrastructure. Let's keep progress out and continue living like it's 1899!

These people are the main reason why I wish our local high schools would put philosophy and logic in their cirriculums. These whackos aren't too far off from the Taliban.

Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  9:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Saw a commercial a while ago. Kids advertising Vote No in Blairsville for Alcohol. So their not only spending money on bilboards now their advertising on TV too.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  11:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Here's another study on Prohibition.

It even caused alcoholic beverages to become stronger! And many people started drinking MORE out of protest of being told what to do. Government spending went through the roof. Taxpayers had to come up with the money to police everything. Drinking establishments went underground, making them harder to control. Alcohol became more dangerous to drink because manufacturing safety fell out of governmental oversight.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-157.html

It would be far more effective if time and money were spent on education about alcohol and responsibility instead of controlling other people's lives.

Tough drunk driving laws are enough of a deterent.

You can't legislate morality.

I posted the drunk driving arrests figures for Towns County and Union County a while back, and asked why arrests for Union County were SO much higher. The response was that the police in Union County are just more strict.

Hmmmm. Maybe there are just more drunk drivers in Union County?

I don't believe for a minute that police in Towns County are sitting on their hands while drunk drivers cruise the roads.

If I'm right, then your laws in Union County are already ineffective. When you make something forbidden, it makes it more glamorous and attractive to the youth. That's exactly what happened during Prohibition.

Nothing will change. People in Union County will continue to leave the county to purchase their alcohol, increasing the chances of drinking and driving a longer distance. Arrests will continue to be high.

Same old, same old.

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  01:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
quote:
Nothing will change. People in Union County will continue to leave the county to purchase their alcohol

July 18th hasn't happened yet, The referendum has yet to be put to a vote. It's far too early to say how the vote will go.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  01:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Tsk Tsk Shadow,

I thought it was obvious I was talking about how it will be if the "No Alcohol" crowd gets their way.

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Chris.........."They just do whatever certain people tell them to do, rather than think for themselves and consider the pros and cons of this issue."

Don't have time to tell you exactly what I think of your statment right now but I will tell you that I think and act for myself. I have listened to both sides and tried to think this out and I for my own reasons am not for Alcohol being served in any establishment in the county. Before you decide that those who oppose the ordinance are being led blindly into that opposition you need to start thinking for yourself also. You seem to have an attitude instead of a position.

Time to go, I'll pick this up later. Wildflower, we'll talk somemore on this and on the war later, sorry I haven't had time to be on here much lately.

thats why

whyGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  10:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Why,

It all comes down to the following question:

What is the big deal?

Right now, people are bringing wine into restaurants by brown bagging. The restaurant has no control over how much they can drink.

If the restaurant was serving drinks by the glass, they can refuse to serve more if the customer is getting drunk.

So, where exactly is the gain from voting "No"??????

I have never seen one logical argument from the "Vote No" side that shows a benefit to their position. Not a single one.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile
With all the billboard ads, and ads on tv, someone is sure spending a lot of money to promote "vote no"

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  8:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Wildflower said:

quote:
I have never seen one logical argument from the "Vote No" side that shows a benefit to their position. Not a single one.

Wildflower, I haven't seen one logical REASON for a "YES". Not one single reason. But now from your stand point, you think or I will even go as far as to say that you KNOW you have all the logical reasons for a "YES" and that its not debateable. And I will even say that all the reasons I've read for the "NO" are logical. So with all the reasons added up, we have about a 50/50 on the debate, don't you think?

Coosa, Money is an object to some, and not to others. Money is money. As I've said many times, I haven't seen one hearse with an U-Haul behind it yet. If people want to spend money to say "NO" then thats their priority. Just as it's the person's priority to spend money on alcohol. I find it absurd to drive and waste gas just to buy it just the same as you see it costing so much money to advertise against it. There is no "in between" on the subject of the money issue. Money is going to help vote against it. Money is going to help bring it in. Money is JUST money.

Why, You and I see eye to eye.
If those who have not read between the lines or read the exact words of the reasons for those of us who are against it then somebody needs to go back to their educational learning program, PERSONAL REASONS, RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, FAMILY VALUES, ALCOHOLISM are only a few of the reasons that have been brought into the subject for the reasons for those who have decided to vote "NO". Restaurants, and ????? Oh yeah Money are the two for voting "YES"....Now let me stop and think, Murphy sells alcohol, Towns County sells alcohol, and Fannin........Of all the places mentioned, I see Union County a far more "up scale" than the other places, and of course, this is my opinion. So the revenue they are bringing in for their county isn't or hasn't helped them that I see. Maybe it's hidden in other areas but not within the eye of the looker.

It all boils down to this, It's going to be black or white. Either we'll have it voted in, or we won't. Either way, Nothings going to change much, but thats STILL not the reasons for my vote of "NO"...

If I were an artist, I'd draw a picture, If I were a musician then I'd sing you a song, If I were a writer, I'd write a book, but none of these I am not...

Still the reason for my voting "NO" is because .......I CHOOSE TOO! I've explained it every which way under the sun, So my reason is .."Just Because......"~

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  9:01:48 PM  Show Profile
No matter how you vote, you're going to see logic in your reasons for a "yes" or "no".
I do believe that Towns County & Fannin are more upscale than Blairsville. You can just see the $$$ in the town.

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy