New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 14 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Eddie

49 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Other than to state that I am happy that we all have the option to vote on this issue, I've said very little. I did not attend the huge meeting several weeks back but it is my understanding that the purpose was to convince Commissioner Paris to not place this on the ballot. If I have been mis-informed then I am sure the local forum police will correct me. However, if this fact is correct then it seems to me that in actuallity the ministers, church leaders, individuals, etc. were attempting to deny us the right to vote whether they realized it or not. Had Lamar backed down on this it would have set a very dangerous precedent that would surely be repeated again. We must always protect the right to vote regardless of the individuals or groups that may seek to deny that right. We already have too many elected officials doing that now.

Note to Lamar: Yeah, I said it, but it was not easy. I agree with you this time.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  1:53:45 PM  Show Profile
I am glad that Lamar did not back down also. Even though I will probably vote no.

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  06:12:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm gonna put up a sign for it in my yard.
I cannot believe this is so hard for people. This is not a dry county, and really who cares if they allow drinks to be sold. The whole time I lived in Atlanta, I can count on one hand the number of times I bought a drink at a restaurant. Never even gave it a thought, but to have denied anyone else that right? I don't understand that.
Some of the arguements against this issue are so weak its laughable, its good for all of us. Haven't they just reassessed all of your properties? They have mine, hasn't it gone up every year for the last 4 years? Mine has....... look to finally put this to a vote means one thing, Lamar finally realized the revenue he's missing. Personally I would have just begun issuing permits. Half the county voters would have liked it, some would have complained, so whats new. Every action a government takes draws the same reaction, but all live with it.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  1:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I am all for a licensed liquor store to open. Saves a trip to Murphy!

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  2:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
There is a car ,inverted on a flat bed truck in front of harmony grove church,(the church is located on town creek school road),with numerous alcohol kills sighs protruding from it.I think that this preacher and those responsible have crossed the line of their responsibility.I didn't see any guns,cigarettes,swimming pools,falling trees or hundreds of other causes of death.Could it be,that the pious leaders are thinking if alcohol were available locally that there would be less in the collection plate,resulting in them getting a job requireing manual labor.This latest act to influence the voters in Union County,has resulted in me changing camps.If I were a business owner and in favor of alcohol I would organize a counter action. If anyone organizes such,I an on record of making a considerable donation. Enough from the church leaders in this county has already exceeded enough. William R. Jenkins

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Well, it sure isn't logical.

The only thing that would change with the passage of the law, is who is making the money.

If the law passed, the restaurants in Blairsville would make the extra money.

Since brownbagging is already allowed in Blairsville, probably Towns County is making most of the money on the wine sold to brownbaggers.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  6:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lordy,

Maybe someone should show this to the preacher at that church.

Read the last paragraph on Dry Counties of Kentucky. You can click on the link to the study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  12:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Rouge said over in the Restaurants topic:
quote:
I have a friend in the Dillsboro, Sylva area in North carolina. They voted for the alcohol.

It's significant to note that they first started trying to legalize it five years ago. It's taken them until now to get it passed.

This article from a year ago mirrors some of the same arguments going on now here in Blairsville. It also had the following paragraph:

However, brown bagging allows for uncontrolled imbibing — of beer, wine and liquor. Restaurants are not held responsible for beverages customers bring in with them, said Town Manager Herb Nolan. On-premise sales mean that there’s someone keeping track of how much someone’s had, and who’s responsible for driving home.

This is something I've noted earlier here as well. Sale of alcohol by restaurants brings greater control over how much people are drinking in their establishment and helps with verifying that there's a designated driver. Safety and accountability are actually increased above the free limits allowed by brown bagging.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  12:04:51 PM  Show Profile
According to the kentucky study, there are more alcohol related car accidents in dry counties than in wet counties.

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  07:28:01 AM  Show Profile
The percentage of DUI's will not change one iota, those that are going to drive drunk will do it regardless. The responsible folks won't enough said.
One more point, I worry about elderly drivers more than drunks, they far out number them and just as dangerous.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  09:18:45 AM  Show Profile
I think the crashed car they had in the parade, which was uncalled for & had nothing to do with honoring veterans, is actually a car driven by someone who was smoking a cigarette & dropped it on the floorboard of the car, then reached down to get it.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  10:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
That is the same exhibit that is parked in front of harmony grove church.The church leaders and the parade organizers have the same amount of taste and class,none. WRJ

Wu

1452 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  1:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Everyone please get out there and VOTE!

Thanks,
wu

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  5:55:48 PM  Show Profile
I just read in the paper about the crashed car being in the memorial day parade. I think that was very disrespectful to our vetrans!!

Go to Top of Page

Wu

1452 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  6:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you all on that car in the parade. And if Maddy is correct that this car was not even in an alcohol related crash...the people behind this spectacle seem kinda ridiculous to me. I see it like that preacher that protests at soldiers funerals. A True Shame.

Facts are Facts, The numbers in other Dry Counties do not lie. My opinion of the preachers that push 'Vote No'? A control issue. Or they are very uninformed. Hey! That is only my opinion. There are Bible Quotes for both sides, you all know that.

Me? I'll vote yes. Why? For real, to have more nice places to eat, to take dates to, etc. For growth in our area. Progress is a reality. I've not seen any Amish folk here.

Just my humble opinions,
wu

Edited by - Wu on 06/01/2006 05:47:45 AMGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  12:31:09 PM  Show Profile
[i]"There are Bible Quotes for both sides, you all know that."[/i}

Actually, the only things the Bible says "against", is against excess indulgence - being drunk.

Here is a very good link about when the bible isn't clear.

http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/romans14issues.htm

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
One off-topic post removed. This is not a religious topic, but a political one with certain religous undertones. Please don't confuse the issue.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  10:55:55 AM  Show Profile
Went online and looked up DUI arrests for Towns and Union counties.

The latest figures I found were from 1998. These figures were for adults. There was only one underage arrest in 1998, and it was in Union County.

TOWNS COUNTY

Arrests: 8

Arrest Rate: 111.61

UNION COUNTY

Arrests: 68

Arrest Rate: 521.95

*Arrest Rate is "Arrests per 100,000 Population"

Anyone care to interpret these figures?

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Wow! Union Counties officers do a good job. The city police are more strict than Town's. Or so I was told.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  2:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
NL You are probably correct in that the Union County police are more effeceint than Towns County.Maybe another reason for the difference in arrests is that the VFW donates money to the Towns police or they did when I was a member.That is one reason I only went to the watering hole three times.The other is that there were to many drunk vulgar bar flies.WRJ

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile
The VFW no longer serves liquor. BYOB

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  3:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
The reason is probably because they were raided by the fuzz a fewonths back.WRJ

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  3:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Yup that's right but I wasnt going to say that. I don't usually drink but with the week I've had I could use a good one.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  5:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
On the way to downtown Blairsville I passed the church parking lot that was decorated with the wrecked automobile.It's missing. Maybe the preacher came under pressure from all of the members who partake of a swig on occasion. WRJ

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  09:07:17 AM  Show Profile
Seems someone in the area has taken up a new hobby...sign collecting. Many of the 'vote no' signs have been taken from people's yards/driveways. Yesterday evening I noticed a billboard with the 'vote no' message...wonder if that one will disappear as well??
I've read with interest about the wrecked car in the parade. This isn't a 1st time thing. In some of the past parades, there has been a wrecked car with the message 'Don't Drink & Drive' displayed on the trailer. Funny that it's just now being noticed.
Paving of that church's lower parking lot started yesterday, so yep the wrecked car has been removed.
As for preachers not working and depending on the collection plates for their upkeep and support, that's just not true of the ones I know personally. They all work hard for a living...1 works for Alltel, 3 work in construction, 2 work for the EMC and 1 drives a truck. I'm not saying that there aren't preachers who do nothing and let the church support them...just stating that the ones I know, don't do that.

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy