New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 15 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  5:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
The NGN reports that a referendum for sale of alcohol by the drink at restaurants will be placed on the July ballots. Union County voters will be able to vote finally on the decision on whether to allow it or not. The Commissioner has a long prepared statement about the issue that went along with the announcement. I'll quote one small excerpt from it:

"by putting it on the ballot, it allows our citzens the right to choose what they want. If it fails, it is a dead issue. If it passes, it will be strictly controlled and enforced."

Bravo to you, Lamar, for letting the people decide.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Wu

1452 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  5:46:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes, a good idea I think. It would be nice to have some of those restaurant chains closer to home!

wu

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I posted this topic and is disappeared. That's ok! I think it is a smart thing to do, it will not affect the restaurants inside the city limits. You can still brown bag at the ones that allow it.

Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  5:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
It's still there, Coosa. You posted it under the General forum at the same time this one was being posted here. Politics is the more appropriate forum, so the other one has been locked with a note to come here for comments.

Go to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Shadow, does this referendum only allow for buying a drink in a restaurant, or does it also allow the sale of alcohol in retail stores?

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
It will not allow the sale of alcohol in retail stores.

From the Commissioner's statement:
"This vote will be only for sales of alcohol, by the drink, in restaurants. The proposed ordinance will not allow sports bars or any other type of stand alone bar. Any sales of alcohol must be incidental to the sale of food. In other words, the majority of sales and income, at least 60%, must be from food."

and a separate paragraph reads:
"In putting this referendum on the ballot, I have made an accompanying commitment that if the alcohol 'by the drink' referendums pass, I will not approve the sale of alcoholic beverages in package form nor permit establishments that do not meet the conditions of the propsed ordinance to exist in the county."

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Wu

1452 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile
I hope the strong constrains does not kill it for the restaurants I what to come here!

wu

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:29:10 PM  Show Profile
If the restaurants have 60% sale of food, then they can sell liquor by the drink, if it passes. No free standing store can sell liquor or beer or wine only. We will still have to drive to Murphy.(or Blue Ridge to buy it) It will permit nicer restaurants to come here. However all 3 things have to pass, beer, wine, liquor.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
But only two different votes on that, Coosa. Beer & Wine by the drink, and Liquor by the drink.

Shadow

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile
That's what it will take to get the kind of chain restaurants to come to Union County. A while back I read an article in the paper down here about the Outback group of restaurants (Outback, Bonefish, Roys's, Selmons, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Carrabas, Flemings). It said that alcohol sales comprised 33% of their sales. I don't recall if it was specific to one of the restaurant chains or if that was an overall average for all their different restaurants. Either way, it shows why they aren't interested in any area that won't let them pour liquor.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile
It does not matter to me either way, brown bagging allows the same thing.

I don't eat out at night as of yet.

It it helps nicer restraunts to come it's fine with me.

My preference would be to allow a place to have a cocktail, live music and dancing, so adults can go out for the evening.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  8:44:38 PM  Show Profile
While I personally do not imbib a great extent, maybe a beer( Corona) every 6 months or so, I fully understand that in order to get nice chain restaurants to even consider opening in Union county, they must be able to sell alchohol by the drink. It is absolutely middle ages thinking not to allow same. For goodness sake, our commissioner must realize this is 2006, not stuck in a time warp in the prohibition era.

I have not read the article but can beer and wine be sold inthe grocery stores?

By not allowing alchohol in restaurants, it just drives patrons away and the fact that alchohol is not sold in stores in Union County does not mean people will not drive to the nearest location to purchase. Its Union Counties loss of revenue. Nothing irritates me more than for someone else trying to decide what I want and like and to decide whats good for me.

Personally I will vote YES and be proud of it.

Social Change

Go to Top of Page

Lake Runner

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  8:49:15 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to see that this will be on the ballot. I agree that better restaurants will only come if they are allowed to serve alcohol. This is mainly do to economics. They make more profit on the drinks then they do on the food.

It would be nice to have more choices of nice places to eat.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  11:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Amen! LONG HORNS MAYBE? :)

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Morning Coffe, bless your heart. Why should we go to another county just because you do not like it? What has someone having a glass of wine over dinner, going to do to you? The people that want a drink, and frankly most of Union county does, are going to drink anyway. so we might as well get the revenue from it. You cannot legislate morals or feelings. Your name says it all, Morning Coffee! Why don't we just ban cofee in the county, then maybe you can go to Gilmer for coffee. Not being mean or sarcastic, just pointing out the frailties of this issue.

Thats my stand

Socail ChangeGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:24:31 AM  Show Profile
My overworked brain is in high gear on this. I will make another comment. Just because a restaurant is allowed to sell alchoholic beverages does NOT preclude your dining and NOT ordering a drink. A good steak taste just fine even without beer or wine, at least give people the choice to eat in a great restaurant and not necessarily
drink.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:34:33 AM  Show Profile
I've got a question...
Would the waitresses/waiters in the restaraunts have to be legal drinking age?
I'm just wondering about the under 21 yr old waiteresses/waiters that are already employeed at local restaraunts. Will they lose their jobs...OR can they serve alcohol even if they're not old enough to buy it legally?

God brings men into deep waters not to drown them, but to cleanse them.
(John Hill Aughey,Presbyterian Pastor,1828-1911)

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:40:22 AM  Show Profile
I could be wrong but I think you gotta be 18 to serve alcohol.

~What you fail to conquer will conquer you!~Go to Top of Page

Lake Runner

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile
"Personally, I hope it fails...if you need a drink, go to neighboring counties, eat, drink and be merry!"

I am only in Blairsville on weekends, so I will not be voting on this. But from an economic point of view:

Right now, there is no where in town to go out for a nice dinner and a glass of wine. Yes, I can brown bag. Yes, I can go without. But most "tourists" are not going to brown bag. Many would like to have a drink with thier meal. Drive to the next county? Then why stay in Blairsville? Why not spend the entire time in the other county?

Me? (and many others) Have a place in Blairsville. We love the place. We have freinds up on a regular basis. What do we do when it is time for a nice meal? We cook it at home, so we can sit and enjoy it with a nice bottle of wine. So, that means we have spent no money in Blairsville. And that means that the restaurants have made no profit from us. Don't get me wrong. I drink an average of two or three glasses on wine a week. (and a few cold beers on a hot weekend.) But just by not having the option of ordering a glass of wine keeps many people from going out for dinner.

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Ok...now I'm confused...(imagine that..haha!!)

If they can serve it at 18, why can't they drink it...legally?

I was just informed that a 16 yr old can sell tobacco products...but by law, you have to be 18 to buy tobacco products...?

God brings men into deep waters not to drown them, but to cleanse them.
(John Hill Aughey,Presbyterian Pastor,1828-1911)

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  09:05:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm w/ ya Topaz, it's stupid. I'm tryin to find the laws in writin to post but I ain't as fast as Shadow. :)

~What you fail to conquer will conquer you!~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me what the city limits in blairsville are? First of all, it will not affect most of our restaurants or the workers at all because they are in the city limits. There will be NO alcohol sold by the drink inside the city limits. I will still brown bag my alcohol to Monets or Dos Greckos every night.
It will allow chain restaurants that make a big part of their profit to build outside the city limits if they choose.
I am not sure of the age, but I believe you have to be 21 to serve alcohol.
In a brown bag restaurant, age does not matter. The waitress does not touch the alcohol.
We will still have to drive to Murphy to buy alcohol, giving N.C. our tax revenue.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
From the Cobb County Police site:

Legal Age to Consume Alcohol - 21
Legal Age to Serve Alcohol - 18
Legal Age to Sell Alcohol - 18 *
* (except in supermarket & drug store where a sales clerk can be sixteen under the supervision of a permitted manager.)

These are set by State law, so should be right. Once I can find the right cite in the Georgia code, I'll post it.

Shadow

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile
I said 21 because the younger people were now allowed to serve wine over at Shoebooties in Murphy. However, they may have been under 18. The older you get, the younger people look.!
I have not made up my mind if I am for this or not. I hate to see Blairsville get much bigger. I have not been down to Ellijay in many years and I understand that it has changed a lot.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  09:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Coosa, the picture on my Flickr site that shows the proposed 19/129 bypass also shows the city limits. You can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowbill/66375186/

quote:
it will not affect most of our restaurants or the workers at all because they are in the city limits. There will be NO alcohol sold by the drink inside the city limits.

I doubt this is true, if the County goes, the city would need to follow and I can't see where they wouldn't. Otherwise, you'll see a push by restaurants to move outside city limits.

Shadow

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  10:04:07 AM  Show Profile
You are right, but the city would have to vote on it first.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy