New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 13 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Do you agree?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  11:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riding a bike, or pushing one at night, is not very safe. I do think he should have gotten more punishment.

Go to Top of Page

pussandboots

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  11:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Money will buy everything

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  01:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youre exactly right Pussnboots.

Coosa hun.. the man had no means of any other transportation and he was coming from work.. Not loafering.. and at least he was out there doin what he could do..

.. this forceful impact smashed in the front of his vehicle, do you think he didnt know he had done it?

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 01/18/2005 01:04:48 AMGo to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  12:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOC, i know the case your referring to from the 90's and it just sickens me. This person who shot the other only served a minor sentence. It's just another case of "who you know" in a small town. Anyone else would probably still be in prison.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  12:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youre exactly right~ Id died in prison of old age I am sure of it

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  1:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that was how he got back and forth to work, but you have to be more careful at night one a busy highway. When I was a kid, we had to ride facing traffic, that was safer I think. I don't know why they changed the law, but I am sure that shadow does.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  09:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coosa, I think I was out of town when you wrote that last bit and I had looked up some things, but forgot to respond. Basically, I don't think it was ever the law to ride a bicycle opposite the flow of traffic. It did, however, used to be the accepted or preferred method of riding a bike in the street. Studies were done though that clearly proved it was safer for bicycles to go with the flow of traffic instead. That's when laws started getting passed to get people to stop doing it the traditional way and start doing it the safer way.

The studies showed riding with the flow of traffic was safer because the driver of the car typically had more time to react if the bike veered unexpectedly and that the hit was generally a glancing blow, rather than a frontal blow, making injury instead of death a more likely outcome. Both fatalities and injuries decreased as a result of the new bicycle laws.

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV! Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was interesting and made good sense. That was 50 years ago when i rode a bike to school and for fun. I went to Vermont about 15 years ago and we rode bikes Inn to Inn. Several times I got knocked off the road by a big truck go by too quickly. It is pretty dangerous to ride on a major road.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We went to Callaway Gardens this past April and had a blast riding bikes all over the park. They've got miles and miles of bike trails that intersect, but are not on, the car roads. My youngest boy wasn't big enough for his own bike, so we got a tandem that he could ride on the back of and "pedal".

If you get a hankering to do more bike riding, that's a great place to do it.

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV! Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  10:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been there for years, but we'd do the biking thing too there. It was awesome! I'd love to take our girls there. We pass it everytime we go down to my parents. Just no excuse!
It scares the biggibies out of me when I see someone riding a bike towards traffic. It's like a bull with a red cape in front of him.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  10:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That boy was driving on Friday. Hunnys worker saw him back in the saddle.

GOD IS GREAT.. GOD IS GOOD!!!Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy