New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 9 visitors.

All Forums
 Outdoor Activities
 red top mtn sp iron foundry days
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  01:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello,

since years i wanted to see these shows there but it never did work out until last saturday.

red top mtn state park is 45 min north of atlanta. its an beautiful state park on lake allatoona. lots of trails and an great campground, swiss approved.

in that area who the park is they have had an iron ore mine and melting facility back then. from time to time they make demonstrations near the state park lodge witch is now closed. like last saturday, they did actually melt iron ore, who looks like an pcs of dirt, heated up in an spl furnance to an hot temparature to melt out the iron... that is how the whole metal work started. this process is really unique and i saw that in swiss only 2 times.

but they do not stop there. they had an foundry too in that location and they want show the people how that did work back then, if you want, for $ 7 you can buy and black mold, then carve inside the mold whatever you want, letters must me mirrored so that its readable, carving instruments they have there and you can sit down under an tent and relax by do so. in the eavening they had say 30 sutch carved molds ready, from names, symbols, lighthouses etc anything inbetween. then at 9pm, i was not there anymore, they heat up iron and pour it in your mold and then cool it down in buckets of water!
so what to do with that pcs of iron with your personal creativity? i suggest drilling an hole for an screw and then clear coat it say 3 layers so it wont rust and then screw it outside at your house or hang it inside for decoration. i allready have some ideas and will sure be back in november as they do that again, i will update the infos.

here some pics:

Photobucket here they melt the iron for the molds

Photobucket some of the handcarved molds

Photobucket

Photobucket how an cast out the mold pcs of solid iron can look like

Photobucket the furnance where they do the iron ore meltdown

Photobucket some other test cs they did

red top foundry step by step of how the material look as they do the iron ore melting

Photobucket this is the rest of the ore, as the iron is melted down and separated, we swiss call that stiftenhirni, the brain of the apprentice... LOL

i was really exited and will be back to watch closer and longer. what an marvel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSbteUHn2Vo&feature=related

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  01:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
red top mtn state park: http://gastateparks.org/RedTopMountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSbteUHn2Vo&feature=related

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  09:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, Roger. Thanks for posting it.Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy