New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 13 visitors.

All Forums
 Union County Schools
 Local schools and budget cuts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  5:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard a rumor, purported to be a friend of a friend ( and you know how that goes) so I am just inquiring if anyone has any factual info.

Because of the current budget crisis, cut backs and school closing, I heard that MEC may be forced to close because of budgetary concerns.

I have a grandson that attends this school and it would be a real rock in the road if the school does close. There are a lot of kids there that would be disenfranchised if this happens.

Any info?

Shucks

Shucks

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  08:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shucks, I could be wrong, but I really don't think that is going to happen. It would really increase the drop-out rate for the county, and it is too good of a program to get rid of. The employees have had to take furlough days like other state employees and the budget is tighter than it used to be, but I don't think it will be closing. If it does, I will lose my second job!Go to Top of Page
Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  09:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the MEC doesn't close either, would be a terrible loss to the students and employees.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  01:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be glad you're not in Towns County. The major story in our papers right now is our school system. It's been designated a failing school system by the Federal government.

Nice.

Edited by - Wildflower on 04/27/2010 02:00:22 AMGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  09:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just be glad you're not in Towns County. The major story in our papers right now is our school system. It's been designated a failing school system by the Federal government.

Nice.

Edited by - Wildflower on 04/27/2010 02:00:22 AM

If that's the case, it's a good thing Towns County has all those nice restaurants. Maybe if the kids can't learn enough to get in to a college they can make some money serving food and drinks when they get out of high school. Maybe that's what the county school system has in mind--keep a good supply of cheap labor in the area. (I'm being sarcastic in case you can't tell, LOL)Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  3:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if you don't have kids in the Towns County system, it's bad if you own a house that you plan to sell.

A lot of incoming families with school-age children end up moving to Hayesville because of the school system. Now that our school problems are more out in the open, incoming families will be even less interested in buying houses in Towns County. Plus there used to be a loophole where you could pay to have your children attend school in Hayesville even if you lived in GA - that option is gone.

There are some prominent people who own businesses in Towns County who actually choose to live in Hayesville for this very reason.

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy