New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.

All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 The Farmers Market closed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  12:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one by the waste water plant. Too bad, it was clear someone invested alot of money and effort in that. I was originaly closed for the season, but now I see it is for rent. Not sure if it's a sign of the times or just a bad idea. I think the latter. Perhaps the county should just buy it, insted of that silly overpriced farmers market project using up limited county funds.

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spam,I am not surprised.Blairsville and Union county isn't a desireable area to establish a business,especially retail.That I believe is due to the type of people,mostly,not trying something new or different.The need for this business wasn't here and it didn't create a market.WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  9:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this is a very hard time to do business in the county, and with new businesses especially so. Hours are being cut at work, positions are being eliminated, cars are being sold, homes being repossessed - people are just trying to hang on.

I differ with spam about the county farmer's market though. The funds for the multi-purpose building that will house the farmer's market are coming from SPLOST funds - that extra 1% sales tax in our county, not from general county tax funds. And there's a lot more than just the farmer's market there. 4-Hers will have a facility to do cattle judging and shows, and the canning plant will get a new home there. Agriculture is still a large contributor to this area. Please don't write it off because you don't get a direct benefit from it.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the sound of the new FM!  Sounds like well thought out multipurpose building.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
If CON is the opposite of PRO, what is the opposite of PROGRESS?Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  02:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Bill
I don't think all the projects you listed are a waste, but I can see how it can be read as such. Each aspect of it adds to the expense though and I just don't see any benefit over just spenidng some money to improve the canning facilities and livestock showing facilities.

Some may remember I was trying to get a farmers market started a few years ago and I even offered my parking lot to help help do so before the county offered up it's lot. I felt it was oddly lacking here in Blairsville, and it was. I don't believe I have written off Agriculture as not relevant to myself.
I was just saying it functions perfectly in the courthouse lot and that cost is nothing. Why spend money to fix a something that works so well? And the downtown location is quite nice.

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy