New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 7 visitors.

All Forums
 Weather!
 Interesting weather factoid for Dec 13
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  11:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From "Weather History with Chalie Wilson":

"1962
One of the coldest December outbreaks in memory for the southeastern U.S. and Florida was courtesy of arctic high pressure that pushed a cold front through the central Bahamas into the northwest Caribbean Sea. A severe freeze occurred in Florida. Morning lows ranged from the single digits and teens in the northern part of the state, the 20s in the central, mid 30s across the mainland south to the upper 30s to mid 40s in the Keys. It was the coldest December weather of the 20th century and caused millions of dollars damage to crops and foliage. In Georgia, the morning low of -9 at Blairsville established a state record for the month of December. Millions of dollars damage to crops resulted."

Emphasis added was my own. -9...wow....I shiver just typing that.

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  08:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember a story that my dad told about a Towns County law officer in a car chase. Lake Chatuge was frozen over and the guy that was being chased drove his car across the lake and the officer followed him in his car, and the ice didn't break. That was probably the same year that it got down to -9 degrees.Go to Top of Page
Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! That is COLD!!!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  3:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that lake isent frozen usually, right?

hope we never get that cold again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBocef6iQps&feature=related

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  08:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the lake usually isn't frozen. Sometimes it is frozen a little around the edges, but I've never seen it frozen enough to drive over.Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy