New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 7 visitors.

All Forums
 Weather!
 Evaporation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
BUNKERHILL

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BUNKERHILL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to measure evaporation for one (1) week for a project for my child. I am looking for information to do this as accuratley as possible. Would love any help or suggestions. Thanks.
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  2:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This could be a fun experiment to do. Take two containers that are identical and pour a measured amount of water into each one. You want to measure how much water you put in so that you can compare it later with how much is left to quantify how much water evaporated over the testing time.

Set one of the containers in a warm, sunny location and one in a cool, shaded section. This will help contrast how sunlight aids the evaporation process.

After your time period expires, measure the remaining water in each container and record your results. You can subtract the amounts recorded from the starting amount and list exactly how much water evaporated from each container over the time period.

Another level for this as a longer term project would be to record the relative humidity in the testing area each day and average it out over the testing time period. Then wait a month or two and repeat. This would help identify how outside weather and relative humidity impact evaporation rates.

Go to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  6:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found this while I was out roaming the Internet. It's very similar to what I proposed: http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/orange/se-61.pdf

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may want to place a thermometer next/close to each container and record the temperature at, or better in, each container.  Record the temps at the same time each day.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

BUNKERHILL

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  08:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit BUNKERHILL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy