New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 6 visitors.
 All Forums
 Restaurant Reviews
 Recommendation for Mr. Jenkins - Meyer's German
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  9:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you been to Meyer's German Bakery in Blue Ridge? I think you would like it. Mr. and Mrs. Meyers and their two daughters run the place, and, yes, they are German. They have good breakfasts and lunch, also freshly baked breads to die for. I receive a weekly menu email and will post it next week.

Blue Ridge, GA, 30513Phone:
706.632.0220Wed -
Fri:8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sat:8:00 am - 2:00 pm

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  11:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey! dont tell anybody ouer secret places where they have real tasty food LOL

admin, lets delete that tread to keep it secret!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBocef6iQps&feature=related

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hey! dont tell anybody ouer secret places where they have real tasty food LOL

admin, lets delete that tread to keep it secret!

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.

Okay, I won't. Shhhhhhhhhh.

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  1:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ya now, the owners are germans - verry strickt - you have to show your german passport to get in. no chance for americans.

Go to Top of Page

ALRUI

United States
20 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  5:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ALRUI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you been to Meyer's German Bakery in Blue Ridge? I think you would like it. Mr. and Mrs. Meyers and their two daughters run the place, and, yes, they are German. They have good breakfasts and lunch, also freshly baked breads to die for. I receive a weekly menu email and will post it next week.

Blue Ridge, GA, 30513Phone:
706.632.0220Wed -
Fri:8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sat:8:00 am - 2:00 pm

Hi iluvit - I'd "luv" to see the menu:-) What do they have for lunch/dinner? Is it authentic German food? Sounds GREAT!Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  9:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
will test it out this week then i can tell.

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will try this place when we return from florida.I have been to a few german eating establishmentsand none are even close to offering real german food.that includes adelweiss in Helen.If this is real German,you can call me Meyer.Is there anyone here who knows what this last sentence refers to?WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is quoted from Hermann Goering, from World War II.

“If one bomb falls on Germany, you can call me 'Meyer!'”

Britian did drop bombs on Germany and he got called Meyer.

Edited by - meg on 10/26/2009 12:05:44 PMGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  1:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Meg,You are correct again.I have read very much about the NAZI era,obviously a very interesting time for those who like history,to include antropology and geography.We had lunch at the hole in wall today.On a scale of one to ten,I am giving the food a minus ten.WRJ

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL---Google is a handy tool.

I've lived in Blairsville all my life and I don't think I've ever eaten at the Hole in the Wall. I guess I just don't get out much. Any restaurant can have a bad day though. Maybe they had a new cook or new server or something.Go to Top of Page

iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  5:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

We had lunch at the hole in wall today.On a scale of one to ten,I am giving the food a minus ten.WRJ

William R.Jenkins

I've had days when Hole in the Wall was bad, too. Normally it is on a Monday or Tuesday. Also, if I'm there near closing time, I've been disappointed. Was the owner there? That's when the food isn't good.

Good apple strudel at Heavenly Bakery on Fridays. It is in the Crossroads Shopping center, Mr. Jenkins. The baker learned from a German man and it is the best strudel I've had stateside. Edelweiss isn't too bad, but not real German. I was raised by German father and grandparents, so know good German, too.

This is Meyer's menu from two weeks ago - they send weekly email to regular customers. Remember this isn't a fancy dancy restaurant but a bakery. It is quaint and clean! The owners are jewels.

Meyer's Breads and Bagels (not boiled Jewish bagels, but very good)
Meyer's Oktoberfest

Soups of the Week

~Tomato w/ meatballs
~Boston Clam Chowder
~Corn Chowder
~Pea

Wednesday
Breakfast
~ Variety of Bagels with Cheese, Eggs, Bacon or Ham
~ Biscuits with Cheese, Eggs, Ham, Bacon, or Sausage
~ German Pancakes with the Fixins
~ Two Breakfast Quiches

Lunch
~Goulash w/ Noodles and Garden Salad
~Schnitzel served with Noodles and Mushroom & Tomato Sauce
~Dessert Included

Thursday
Breakfast
~ Two Breakfast Quiches

Lunch
~Sauerbraten w/ Handmade Spätzle and Garden Salad
~Schnitzel w/ Original German Potato Salad and Garden Salad
~Dessert: Fresh Fruit and Homemade Whip Cream

Friday
Breakfast
~ Two Breakfast Quiches

Oktoberfest Special
~Schweinshaxe~
Limited Order
OR
First come First Serve
(Order Yours Today!)

Lunch
~Schweinshaxe (is a roasted "pork knuckle") w/Knödel (Dumpling) and Red Cabbage
(Limited Order OR First Come, First Serve!)
~Schnitzel w/ Cheese
~Spätzle & Garden Salad
~Dessert: Pastry or Fresh Fruit with Handmade whipcream

Saturday
Breakfast/Lunch
Brunch
~ Two Breakfast Quiches
~ Curry Wurst Or Bratwurst
~ Schnitzel

Oktoberfest Hearts

Lebkuchen used to be served as a dessert in monasteries. But for decades, men of all ages and all nationalities have bought these sugar frosted "Herzerl" for their "Wiesnprinzessin" (Bavarian for "Oktoberfest Princess"): as a little present, as a keepsake, or as an Oktoberfest souvenir. Pick up yours today!

Edited by - iluvit on 10/26/2009 10:20:29 PMGo to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  11:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always got Lebkuchen at Christmas time. Didn't know it was made for Oktoberfest. Started seeing them around November. We have a large collection of Lebkuchen tins in all sizes that we got while in Germany. Wish we could find some of those gingerbread treats here in the states.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  07:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That menu sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it out.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

ALRUI

United States
20 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ALRUI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks iluvit! The Schweinshaxe sounds good:-), William R. Jenkins what did you have at Hole In The Wall thats was so bad, I have never eaten there but the menu seems pretty basic. Curious...Go to Top of Page
Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  7:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had the schnitzel, german potato salad and lemon pudding. It was delish!

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  8:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my food i had there was so terrable - have to go soon back and test out more

real german people, friendly, not that an humpa pumpa atmosphere like in helen but the food and the people are great. finest so fare i found in usa.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  9:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now we have to try this place.  It has Roger's seal of approval!  It has to be good!!

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  10:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes for sure, here are the links, try to make some pics next time, show the details

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Ridge-GA/Meyers-Breads-and-Bagels/139429677893?ref=mf

http://twitter.com/MeyersGerman

here are the lebkuchen http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Ridge-GA/Meyers-Breads-and-Bagels/139429677893?ref=mf#/album.php?aid=117244&id=139429677893

for get on the newsletter list, witch updates about the meals they have during the coming week, to build up appetite and get confused what all to eat, send an email to: bageldough at gmail dot com

soon that place will get resharpened kitchenknives for easyer work.

did eat my roulade, in swiss fleischvogel (meat-bird) named, http://www.hartkopf-web.de/img/roulade.jpg and it was great too, like by mom.

theyr place is unique, part is store and part to sit down and eat, they have lots of german, swiss, austrian and polish food for sale, from nutella, over knorr to gelbwurst to ritter sport.

we both had an hard time leaving there

joust be careful with the opening times, that theyr open.

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  9:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pics of today: http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/swissbianco

Photobucket

had an great time there with annie oakley

Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  09:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That black forest cake looked very yummy!
Nice pic Roger.

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  4:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
after enjoying a few good resraurants in Florida,having to compare those with them here is rather painful.What was inferior with the food at our last visit to hole in the wall?The answer everything.My wife and a visitor from the fatherland (germany) had f.fries and a catfish sandwich.The bread and fish were of a poor quality(mostly not edible)the f.fries greasy,cold and not peeled.I often order a hamberger.That's because the chances that they aren't edible are not as great as othe food.The edges of the meat was reduced to cinders.The onions and tomatoes were cut so thin they were transperant.The F.Fries were as bad as those described above,except they were sprinkled with sugar ,rather than salt.All this for about thirty dollars.There is a law that governs the exchange of food for money in a restaurant .Basically,if food doesn't meet what is considered average,the customer can avoid paying for it.The hole in the wall is a good place for the good old boys and they can have it.WRJ

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  4:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jenks, trying to figure out what your post has to do with Meyer's German Restaurant in BR?

GrayEagle
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's an easy question,old chap.The question was asked by a poster on this topic.As fer all the German food mentioned,my wife being born and living there until the age of twenty-one,prepares food better than any German resraurant,I have opportunity to visit,with one exception and that is the hotel we stay in mostly on our trips to Germany.She never worked other than a home maker.Supplying my wants and needs was enough work for her.WRJ

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  8:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhh, I understand now.  Thanks.

GrayEagle
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  09:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
was at meyers again to test out more food, could not wait, the currywurst an traditional german mixed meat saussage and sauerkraut who was great as it wasent that sauer or else usually in usa, again an great food and i love that place and the nice people!

they getting ready to make the christstollen, the traditional cake and they take preorders too.

what an great german place!

Go to Top of Page

Woof

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  11:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - can't wait to try Meyer's out. I may try it out this weekend.
I use to do a mean "Sauerbraten" but need a basement where it marinates in jumiper berries and other secret ingredients for 3 days. I wonder if they make "Zitoncreme"? Thanks all for the
great recommendations. Sounds like a 5 star Woof.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy