New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 racism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  4:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BW, WRJ is older than I am.  I am somewhere between 63 and 64. :=)

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
"If to please the people, we offer what we ourselves disapprove, how can we afterwards defend our work? Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair. The event is in the hand of God." George WashingtonGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  5:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BW You say that words are only from the minds of wise and silly people.I think my words are from the former and yours seem to come from the silly.That is how most of the bleading heart libersals,with rose collored glasses think.Here is something that may upset you further.don't invoke a third person to prove a point or to gain loyalty from a person you sympathize with.That is a word from the wise.The term "the crimes are being committed by the blacks and hispanics" doesn't equate to all the crimes,as you wrote.Over eighty percent of the prison population in this country are blacks and Hispanics.You probably think they don't belong there ,but I do.those criminals have nothing personal with the person of this subject.I agree my post does speak volumes and somewhere among those many is the fact that I am a law and order person.You can have all the low class people.WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

hog wild

United States
180 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  6:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hog wild's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so is WRJ  an old bird or a spring chicken or may there is two like shadowman and mr bill  ( I    think there the same person) btw i am somewhere between 20 and 51.

loud pipes save livesGo to Top of Page

bears way

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit bears way's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greyeagle, I know Mr. Jenkins is older than us, I am 67, he is 76 and a brilliant man at that. No further comment. BW

dreamlandGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  8:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
or may there is two like shadowman and mr bill  ( I    think there the same person)

Shadow and Mr Bill are indeed the same person. Mr Bill reflects me acting in a business capacity (for BoeBro Ventures generally) and ShadowMan is my blue jeans version, where I can have and share an opinion - more importantly, an opinion that isn't necessarily agreed with or supported by BoeBro Ventures. The business tries to stay neutral for the most part (finding a balance between Erik and I's opinion) while I, as Mr J can attest, can be quite opinionated. .

ShadowGo to Top of Page

hog wild

United States
180 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  9:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit hog wild's Homepage  Reply with Quote
which bears way are you , seem there is two BWs also, the one who says WRJ is 43 or 76 ? anyway your as young as you feel. ( just haven fun )

niecie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  11:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your anger and last post concerns me more than what the women were saying, and you didn't quote their comments, so I'm not sure what really offended you. You are sounding very thin-skinned to be taking what people were saying in a private conversation so personally and seeking confirmation from strangers on a website. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

With the attitude you've displayed in your last post, life will not be easy for you here or any where. Not because people are prejudice, but because of your own anger. I'm sure the ladies you spoke to don't feel ashamed, but you confirmed their opinion.

People who talk funny, are disabled, old, fat, skinny, wrinkled, ugly, have bad skin or teeth, and more are criticized or made fun of every day in life. It is the way people are in the world. I know I've been criticized for various reasons, but I have enough self-confidence and integrity not to allow it to eat away at me. I consider the source and eliminate it. Remember: Resist and it will persist. Sometimes it is best to ignore stupidity and ignorance and move on happily with your life.

Edited by - iluvit on 06/06/2009 11:20:53 AM

Well, iluvit, I think it's very easy to say that I have thin skin when it's not YOUR skin that's being labeled.

And yes, I do have enough self-confidence to not only live my life happily but to also boldly confront ignorance when I see it.

Just because differences are criticized every day doesn't mean we should ignore it and go on with our lives. But I guess if it was you that was put down or your people group, that might be a different story and you might feel like perhaps you should stand up for what's right.

As far as me confirming the ladies opinions, I can't really say. They pretty much had my people all sized up and labeled. My purpose in addressing this issue in this website was, not to be validated, but to raise awareness and, perhaps, meaningful discussion.

If I sounded angry, well I was and I am still, a little. Because, iluvit, prejudice and racism is wrong, flat out wrong. And it really is not a reflection on me but on those who embrace it.

Really, I wonder how many people stood by and "lived their lives" happily while the Nazi rounded up the Jews and started to exterminate them?

I wonder what would've happened if good people had risen up in indignation and said "This is wrong!"

Instead, the Jews were blamed for their own Jewishness. Just as you, iluvit, blame me for not being passive and just letting their remarks go unchecked. And it is MY anger you have a problem with!!

Yes, iluvit, bad things happen when good people do nothing. And you have proven my point quite well. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

fabu

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  02:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You go gettem girl take it from one who was run outta town ... chewem up an spittem out! Its a tired disease down there and the local churches prove it every day!

fredGo to Top of Page

hog wild

United States
180 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit hog wild's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't quite get the concept of thick vs thin skin. if you are in the minority should you shut up and just take it?  telling the injured party to have thick skin is in it self quite racist. why should they deny them self the right of free speech so a closet racists could be spared the discomfort of having to listen? freedoms with all their pleasures comes in all colors.

mountainguy

USA
2247 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mountainguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
~ Now, when I was a baby, Momma named me after the great Civil War hero, General Nathan Bedford Forrest. She said we was related to him in some way. And, what he did was, he started up this club called the Ku Klux Klan. They'd all dress up in their robes and their bedsheets and act like a bunch of ghosts or spooks or something. They'd even put bedsheets on their horses and ride around. And anyway, that's how I got my name. Forrest Gump. Momma said that the Forrest part was to remind me that sometimes we all do things that, well, just don't make no sense.~

Forrest Gump

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for lunch."Go to Top of Page

iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  12:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

don't quite get the concept of thick vs thin skin. if you are in the minority should you shut up and just take it?  telling the injured party to have thick skin is in it self quite racist. why should they deny them self the right of free speech so a closet racists could be spared the discomfort of having to listen? freedoms with all their pleasures comes in all colors.

loud pipes save lives

The ladies speaking also share the concept of "free speech." People have the right to like or dislike others, regardless what side of the fence they are on. Last I looked, it is a free country. I am a minority, too, but I don't carry a chip on my shoulder and get angry every time someone says something against who I am or what I believe. I have wonderful things to do with my life today and don't have time for awareness training. Life is way too beautiful and precious to waste. I'm signing off. Ta Ta

I'm too blessed to be depressed.

Go to Top of Page

hog wild

United States
180 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit hog wild's Homepage  Reply with Quote
iluvit, on this you are 100% correct.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  9:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niecie,

Shadow explained it best I think.

While there is racism everywhere, most of us newcomers are used to people keeping those type of thoughts to themselves. We were always around so many different races of people, that shooting off one's mouth wouldn't have been a very wise thing to do.

The difference in Blairsville is that people have not been used to being censured for being prejudiced. Also, many have had such limited interaction with other races that they more easily buy into stereotypes and believe them. If they only know one or two members of another race, they may believe they represent the entire race.

Yes, it is mind-boggling, but it goes to show how isolated this area has been. I'm convinced that excessive isolation from the rest of the world isn't necessarily a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

collections

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  06:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit collections's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a Black American in Chicago I was invited to your town for a possible business deal. I have some concerns if I would be welcome.based on the comments the old lady made a while back. What a wonderful place Blairville Ga coming from a town like Chicago. you could feel the presences of God. Not the attitude of Man. I am sure there some good people in your town, but when I hear this I become concern

Go to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  11:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
...but when I hear this I become concern

You're concerned about a conversation here from back in 2009? Why stop there? If you go to the GA Library Archives, I'm sure you can hear or read about much more distasteful conversations from the early 60s. Or the mid-50s.

Blairsville is a bit less isolated now and a bit more blended, even in last five years, albeit in amounts that would seem tiny indeed compared to Chicago. But that could largely be true for many areas north of Atlanta. You'll see less myopic vision in Atlanta itself but I couldn't say how that compares to Chicago. If you want to start a new conversation on this, by all means, start one. But dragging conversations out of the past that haven't been replied to in five years and offering a current viewpoint isn't very helpful.

Go to Top of Page

sowotsup

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2014 :  12:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Racism? Where is it. It starts on Pennsylvania ave. In Washington DC. And you are concerned about Blairsville? Can't say I have witnessed this.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy