New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
 All Forums
 Outdoor Activities
 Rabbits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  11:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a good way to keep rabbits from eating your garden plants? Apparently the rabbits around my garden really like lettuce, broccoli, and peas.
joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert but I have heard that if you do some research and find some plants that rabbits DON'T like, then you plant that around the outside of your garden (hopefully they will give up and not advance any further). Hear that also works with deer.
Keep us posted.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  4:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, you need an suitable joungster, an good scoped .22 and maybe feed her or him some cookies and milk while waiting for the rabbits lol.

and at the end you have your vegetables with rabit stew on the table.

maybe ace hardware or else have an technical solution, i havent an green thumb, only an blue one from blacksmithing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3t8PwHvj10

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
an good us friend, with an green thumb gave this advice: electric fence, theyr not that expensive.

in case you never had rabbit stew, thats tasty and most picky people like that one.

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

IluvGa.

United States
236 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit IluvGa.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Meg, you have a garden. I hope to have one too when we move there. I grew up in Griffin GA. My grandfather had one, we had a little of everything. That's what I hope to have. Also I noticed the other day you go to House of Prayer. Let's e-mail each other. My e-mail is :
friendofgod44 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Kimmy, God is good all the time.Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  12:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joy, I read that rabbits don't like garlic and hot pepper. Maybe I should blend some of those with water and spray it on my garden plants.

Roger, an electric fence might help. Do you use a battery to power it? The garden is about 500 feet from the house, so it would need a long extension cord to be plugged in to an electrical outlet. I don't know any youngsters who would have time and be willing to guard the garden all day, even for rabbit stew and milk and cookies. Rabbit meat is very tasty, though. I wonder if that would be a good excuse to stay home from work---I have to sit in my garden and shoot rabbits, so I can't go to work.Go to Top of Page

polly

United States
239 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  4:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit polly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if that would be a good excuse to stay home from work---I have to sit in my garden and shoot rabbits, so I can't go to work.

Meg, I can just see both your bosses when you use that excuse. T is very understanding but I don't think that understanding....BTW I think I have figured out who you are... if you think hard enough you'll know who I am...think Katybug and jj4th....I'll stick my head in the class when I'm close by.

Philippians 4:13Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
meg, i will ask my friend damon how that works in usa. do you see the rabbits? alot of them? may be tempting to come by as im back up in bville and clean the place an bit if thats ok for you.

the problem in usa is that joung people dont hunt or need to hunt that mutch as in earlyer days, so small pest like rabbits, squirrels etc are way more around & hungry so your vetgetables have to pay the bill.

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, got the advice, in usa, most fences are battery operated. suggest go shopping and check infos/prices in different stores. in time we will look what to do with the rabbits, we need some food for the summer gathering

Go to Top of Page

BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  07:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meg, before you invest the money in an electric fence try what helped me - dry blood. Don't know who sells it locally but I bought it at Pike Nursery several years ago. Comes in a small bag and spred it along the border of your garden. Rabbits do not like it!

Go to Top of Page

BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  07:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter Reeves suggested:

: Rabbits can damage many plants in a short time when their numbers are high in early summer. The easiest way to keep them out of a vegetable garden is with a short fence. I've known rabbit-plagued gardeners who drive two-foot long stakes six inches into the ground at four foot intervals around their garden. They then stapled eighteen-inch wide chicken wire to the stakes. Rabbits usually won't jump over a fence this high nor will they dig under it if the bottom edge is tight to the ground. Gardeners, on the other hand, can easily step over the barrier.

Where you choose not to use a fence, try spraying the leaves with repellent products that contain bitter- or hot-tasting compounds.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  12:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems that fence is the most popular solution:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1008368/how_to_make_your_garden_rabbit_proof.html
http://www.gcnursery.co.uk/rabbits.html
http://homemade-economy.com/garden/rabbit-proof.html
http://www.gardenstogro.com/glossary.php ("High Tech" but might be something to build if handy!
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/rabbitproofplants.htm (wonder if some of these planted around your veggies might discourage them from the veggies.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Read this somewhere, and have to agree: "Society doesn’t need Politicians. What we need are Statesmen."Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  1:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blue Rose, I think I will try using the blood meal. It is also a good fertilizer. I can probably get it at ACE hardware. Last night I chopped up some garlic and put it in water with some ground cayenne pepper. I'm gonna try to spray what's left of the plants with that tonight.

Roger, you're right about people not hunting much anymore. If the economy gets really bad and people get hungry they might start hunting more. I do see rabbits sometimes, but I am not at home much during the day. I really just have too much to do and not enough time to do it because I work long hours.

Polly, I got your email. I've known who you were for a while, I just never thought to mention it to you.

Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  1:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gray, thanks for all the links. I think I will try some of the easier solutions before I resort to building a fence. I remember when I was really young my grandmother had a tall wooden fence all around her garden to keep the animals out. Going to her garden was like going to a special secret place with the outside world blocked out. Of course, I was too short to see over the fence back then.Go to Top of Page
BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  3:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Blue Rose, I think I will try using the blood meal. It is also a good fertilizer. I can probably get it at ACE hardware. Last night I chopped up some garlic and put it in water with some ground cayenne pepper. I'm gonna try to spray what's left of the plants with that tonight

Please let us know how this turns out okay!

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hope that works, please post.

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
since my friend damon has the same problem since years, in many places, i discussed the mentioned natural solution and he say that all only work for an time and one day, as you stand up and have an look on your garden you will find out the rabbits and deers had an fest and destroy it overnight.

he say all people who had that happens now have an electric fence and that really keep em out. and while they try and look on the fence you an still hunt them if wanted.

Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  12:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok, got the advice, in usa, most fences are battery operated. suggest go shopping and check infos/prices in different stores. in time we will look what to do with the rabbits, we need some food for the summer gathering

By July there will probably be deer in the garden as well as rabbits, so lots of food for the summer gathering. LOL

I put dried blood on the garden yesterday, so maybe that will keep the rabbits away for a few days. Yesterday morning I saw a big rabbit in the yard, but I was getting ready for church and didn't have time to try to shoot it. Maybe if I do shoot a rabbit and feed part of it to the dog he will get a taste for it and start catching them. Then maybe he would be so tired from chasing rabbits that he would sleep instead of sitting on the porch outside my window barking all night.

Right now a fence would be a last resort, because I'm too busy and too tired to even think about how to make one.Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  1:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hope you make it to the gathering, ya must be an true mtn woman LOL.

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  7:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Meg.I will send Elmer Fudd over to your garten to shoot them silly wabbits.WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

bears way

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  8:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit bears way's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Summer gathering, where and when. Would be fun and a true pleasure
to meet u all. G&G

dreamlandGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  11:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the dried blood and the garlic/cayenne spray seem to be helping some, but you have to keep putting it on a couple of times a week. The rabbits had been eating the tops of the beets and Swiss chard also, but after I put the blood meal and garlic/cayenne spray on them, the rabbits have left them alone.

I finally got around to asking the expert gardener, my dad, about it and this is what he said to do: Take a bucket and a shovel and go to the neighbor's pasture and scoop up some cow manure and put it in the bucket. Then add water to it and mix it up. Next, break off a small pine tree branch and dip it in the manure water and shake it off around the plants. Do this all over the garden and the rabbits will stay away.

If I have time I will try this over the weekend, if my neighbor says it is okay.Go to Top of Page

polly

United States
239 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  05:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit polly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the dried blood and the garlic/cayenne spray seem to be helping some, but you have to keep putting it on a couple of times a week. The rabbits had been eating the tops of the beets and Swiss chard also, but after I put the blood meal and garlic/cayenne spray on them, the rabbits have left them alone.

I finally got around to asking the expert gardener, my dad, about it and this is what he said to do: Take a bucket and a shovel and go to the neighbor's pasture and scoop up some cow manure and put it in the bucket. Then add water to it and mix it up. Next, break off a small pine tree branch and dip it in the manure water and shake it off around the plants. Do this all over the garden and the rabbits will stay away.

If I have time I will try this over the weekend, if my neighbor says it is okay.

meg, your dad is one of the best gardeners around!
If any one can grow ANYTHING it's him!

Philippians 4:13Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  05:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes keep the swiss chard save.

Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  11:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

meg, your dad is one of the best gardeners around!
If any one can grow ANYTHING it's him!

Philippians 4:13

Yes, Polly, he is a great gardener. I guess he gets his green thumb from his dad. Grandpa always had a huge, beautiful garden, and he would never wear shoes to the garden. He preferred to feel the dirt on his feet. Sometimes I just have to kick off my shoes when I am working in the garden, too.

Edited by - meg on 05/16/2009 11:05:10 PMGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  11:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

yes keep the swiss chard save.

Okay, Roger, I will try to save the Swiss chard from the rabbits!

Edited by - meg on 05/16/2009 11:07:21 PMGo to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy