New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.

All Forums
 Seen around our community
 Seen when the weather gets chilly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  01:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Many here, myself included, use wood stoves to heat the home when the cold weather comes calling.

But before you can burn wood, you have to get the logs and often have to split them first. I've been doing it ever since I was a teenager and I think I've gotten pretty darn good at it over the years. I used to use something called a go-devil to split all my wood. A go-devil is like a sledgehammer with a wedge on one side. It's a terribly satisfying feeling to swing the go-devil, plant it squarely into the top of the log, and watch and feel it cleave the wood neatly in half.

Sometimes, the log has a knot in it or it's some wood like sweet gum that just doesn't grow in a way meant to split. That's when you bring out the heavy equipment for splitting - the sledgehammer and the wedge.

Those two, plus the go-devil, just about guarantee success splitting any log.

My doctor told me to stop splitting wood the old manual way though. Nowadays, I have an electric hydraulic wood splitter that I use to pop the logs into halves, quarters, and less. Or I let my oldest son swing the go-devil in my stead. The old saying about firewood is that it heats twice - the first time when you're splitting it, the second time when you're burning it. I can say from personal experience that it's true!

IluvGa.

United States
236 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  10:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit IluvGa.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Better idea than using the axe.

I just love this place,Blairsville. I can hardly wait to move there.I am a country girl at heart, and i am tired of this city here.However the weather is beautiful here right now. Getting used to the cold would be hard but as long as i have flannel shirtsGo to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy