New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 6 visitors.

All Forums
 Outdoor Activities
 how do i start with hunting in ga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  12:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as i read this toppics i got it that i now, with my green card/permanent resident, i legally can go & hunt. and its allready or soon hunting season.

so i ask for suggestions, how to get started? suitable rife is soon ordered, knives (alot) in stock, good shoes and gear too.

as here in swiss only the rich and powerfull can easy go and hunt, for us poor its near impossible, thats one freedom in usa i want enjoy, for food and not for wallhangers!

any suggestions are welcome!

thanks

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=EYjnMfgzgcM

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  2:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pick up a set of hunting regulations (available at most outdoor suppliers or the US Forest Service office) and study the dates and seasons open. If you were born after a certain date you must take the hunter safety course and pass.

Most of the US Forest Service (USFS) land around here is open for hunting. Some of it is open for what ever season is open and some in Wildlife Management Areas which are open only for specific hunts. Private land is considered posted and you must have written permission to hunt on it.

Link to the DNR: http://www.gadnr.org/

Link to the USFS: http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/welcome.htm

Go to the Forest Service office and pick up some topo maps of the area and you can see how he land lays and where the streams are and some of the old logging roads as well as access roads that are open during the season. You can also go to google maps and see aerial photos and topos. The DNR, Department of Natural Resources, has maps available on line also.

Until you have hunted enough around here to get used to the area, I would stick to a smaller area and near the Forest Service roads and learn all I could. Be sure to take a compass (and a GPS if you have one), a good compass and a topo will help keep you from getting lost. I always carry at least three (3) forms of fire starters and always go prepared to spend the night. Cold and wet aren't good combinations so always carry rain cloths and emergency blankets and a whistle (a whistle can be heard further and can be used even when too tired to yell, get a plastic one as a metal one can stick to your lips when frozen). A good pair of boots are a must as are good socks. I always dress in layers so I can take off or add as necessary to combat the heat or cold. You never want to get hot and sweat, walking or such, and then stop and cool down too much.

I would start out by squirrel hunting or such before tackling deer hunting.

whyGo to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  11:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks alot for the infos, i will check the links and the basic equipment i have in stock. an old used .22 will arrive soon too and then i only need an female show me how to make squireel-dumplings LOL.

Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  2:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Squirrel dumplings are good!Go to Top of Page
Woof

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  7:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swiss man - you have my e-mail. I have 7 bucks up here who are driving me nuts. The 8 point stands 50 yards from porch and glares..I mean glares at me. He has been around since March. He is yours. My Jack Russell lets me know when he is near. All I want is one roast and one vension pack of burger. Live on road alone and I got just the spot for you to hang out. Leave doe and twins alone though. Nite and Woof PS I shot handgun near them and they just look at me. I shook can with stones and they smiled. I sang to them and they gently left the area.

Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  8:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meg, I saw a receipe in an old cookbook called "White Trash Cooking and Trailer Park Desserts" by a guy whose last name was Mickler. In it was a receipe for "Tree Rat Stew" aka squirrell dumplings.

The cookbook is still in print, I think.

Shucks

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  11:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks, step by step, i have to start low & learning, want do it correkt.

theres maybe an recipt around for fried treerat alà elvis.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  12:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roger, I've got some recipes for you: http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?id=3616768

Shadow
ShadowGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shucks, thanks for the cookbook suggestion, but I already know how to make squirrel dumplings. It would probably be a funny book to read. Do all the recipes start out "take two cups of lard..."?

Anyway, I think I work too many hours a week to be considered white trash. Redneck maybe, hillbilly definitely, but not white trash.
Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  11:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meg, not intended to call anyone white trash, just the name of the book.

I have never eaten squirrell dumplings, or for that matter any wild game, I may have to try it sometime.

If you ever get a chance to buy the book, by all means do so, it is hilarious and some good receipes in it also.

ShucksGo to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks shadow!

on ouer side i get regulary in wintertime wild meat, deer, boar and in usa 2 times bear. standart is rabbit, contless times. if cooked right, with red gabbage, spatzle etc, its verry tasty.

Go to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shucks, I didn't think you were calling me white trash. I was just rambling, as I tend to do sometimes when I am tired.

I'll have to look on Amazon and see if I can find a cheap copy of that cookbook.Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  2:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honeybee, I cannot believe the reigning "earth mama" that youare, would refuse a big ole plate of nice juicy possum.What is this world coming to!!!

I was in Wadley, Ga this weekend for a funeral and saw a place selling "chitlins or gizzards over rice w/cornbread for $2.95 per plate and that included tea.My mouth watered over the thoughts of that delicacy.

On the way down, I saw a restaurant selling bar be cued possum. Now that would be different!!

All these epicurean delites just thrilled me, since I have always refused to eat any wild game and that includes possum. Actually, I am a vegan.

Shucks

Go to Top of Page

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  5:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to puke!

"Laughter add's 8 years to your life, so laugh damnit!"Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  8:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way would i eat a possum!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuh uh.. and I never ever wanna see escargo again either.. and I dont appreciate my husband telling me that the "chicken" was really frog legs.. it did not taste like chicken after he told me.. HMPH!

"A good heart is better than all the heads in the world."
Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Go to Top of Page

polly

United States
239 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  10:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit polly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yuck!! Possum, NASTY!!!!!

Philippians 4:13Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  11:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if i had nown that ya us womans are that picky LOL

like many people outside usa im happy to get food and spl good tasty food. one of my friends had possum, he say its an bit on the greasy side but with swiss cooking thats sure an tasty stew.

down south, where i stay in usa, one teenage daugther gets yuck if she see my swiss red beand with rice and saussage mix in the pan. i hope for her that she is allways able to go to tacko bell or else she fancy!

swisssilvia often make her "warfood" she named it, small cutted unknown meat that is on sale, mixed with noodles from sale and an small can of mushrooms, heat that up by stirring it, looks like allready eaten once but with seasoning its tasty and feed ya!

so that you all allways have good food you like, not like many others, me sometimes too, poor but tasty food.

DoC, froglegs must be good if cooked proper, swisssilvia loved them. for me its to little food!

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  4:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'possum and sweat taters, squirrel dumplings, rabbit stew, bear roast, and venison tenderloin. YUM-YUM

'possum is a little greasy but so is pork if not cooked correctly. 'coon is alright but now my favorite food. Bear is close to beef but a little stringy and greasy also. Squirrel is fine as is rabbit. No problem with any venison, deer, elk or etc.

Muzzleloader season begins tomorrow, this is from the DNR guide:

Either Sex: Oct. 11-17; Statewide, except
in archery only counties and in accordance
with bag limits, county-wide antler restrictions
and other regulations.

To those going hunting, please be careful and KNOW YOUR TARGET.

whyGo to Top of Page

polly

United States
239 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  4:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit polly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

'possum and sweat taters, squirrel dumplings, rabbit stew, bear roast, and venison tenderloin. YUM-YUM

'possum is a little greasy but so is pork if not cooked correctly. 'coon is alright but now my favorite food. Bear is close to beef but a little stringy and greasy also. Squirrel is fine as is rabbit. No problem with any venison, deer, elk or etc.

Muzzleloader season begins tomorrow, this is from the DNR guide:

Either Sex: Oct. 11-17; Statewide, except
in archery only counties and in accordance
with bag limits, county-wide antler restrictions
and other regulations.

To those going hunting, please be careful and KNOW YOUR TARGET.

why

Hey I like Squirrel dumplings & rabbit stew... My mama used to make the best!MMMMMMMM Like venison too! Bear meat'sok..Love them frog legs! But those ugly possums NO THANK YOU!

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  05:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
possum? yummi! http://www.messerforum.net/showpost.php?p=387153&postcount=20

Go to Top of Page

polly

United States
239 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit polly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since the subject of eating possum has been brought up..I found a recipe for those who might want to try it...but you can count me out...LOL

Possum and Taters

1 Young, fat possum
2 T Butter
8 Sweet potatoes
1 T Sugar
Salt

First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlit night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight, either outside or in a refrigerator. When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum until tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  03:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, will try as i catch one, lavender sure make the pre-test-eater.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  8:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way am i eating a possum Roger!
You will have to find another victim for that! lol!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

here in swiss only the rich and powerfull can easy go and hunt, for us poor its near impossible, thats one freedom in usa i want enjoy, for food and not for wallhangers!

Why does it cost so much to hunt in Switzerland?

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  11:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i dont now, its only for the rich and aristrocrat there. the regulations and tests are strict and not many can enjoy that, one of the reasons to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3t8PwHvj10

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy