New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 13 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 kids and teens need a place to hang out!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  03:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on sista!

Go to Top of Page

Lynne

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  11:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
uh huh, ya know it!!!

:)Go to Top of Page

zinger54

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  11:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya know I keep mentioning this so I will agian. There was once a very sucessful teen dance in Blairsville . Non profit , founded and operated by parents and Mr. Rice . Dose anyone remember Mr. Rice? I happen to know that he visits the forum from time to time just to catch up on things around B-ville and any acknolagement of the things he has done for us kids in the past would please him to know end.

Go to Top of Page

Lynne

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  03:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zinger, you think kids of this generation will appreciate what those kids back then enjoyed. I wonder if they would. It would be a good idea to do some surveys on what they would want for a place to hang out and see what kind of entertainment they would like to see. I think that is a wonderful idea to start a place like that. What ever happened to the old place?

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  11:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zinger, I know he started Fridaz and I know how much that did for the teens in the area and was very terribly devastated when it shut down!
I acknowledge him and he did alot for us kids! He is very appreciated in my book!

Maybe he could come back to Blairsville or maybe someone who knows how he did it all could!!!!! Repair the teen scene!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  11:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh Man! The Teen Dance how well I remember that place. Such good memories that happened there. Yes, Mr. Rice was good for us teens then, he took alot out of his own personal time just to make us bunch of Yo Yo's happy didn't he Zinger? I remember when I would go and one time my daddy had to come pick me up that night because for some reason I didn't have a ride home or something but anyway I remember when I got in the truck, Dad said YOU ARE NOT COMING BACK HERE ANYMORE! Well I was really upset at that comment due to the fact I knew I hadn't done anything that night and with alittle hestitation I asked WHY? He said you see that cop car over there ? I said Yeah..He said well he just picked a bunch of girls and put them in the car as we were driving by the car I happened to look and it was the cop's daughter and her friends. I laughed at my daddy but I also told him who it was at first his ego had a dent in it but he said well I will see about that. The next weekend I was back...hee hee

It was really a good place to be and we had lots of fun..there was always a chosen few that would try to cause problems but they were usually taken care of and everything went on peacefully. I dont remember anything really bad happening there while I went. I think it would be good to have that going on again if we had parents like we had then that would chaperone and watch out after the teens as they did then. And the cops did watch the place as well. SO there wasn't any loitering too much outside , but if there was it was all in good manner. Oh well...thats my little bit of advice on that!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  11:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another bit of advice on the teen dance thing was I really believe that if we as parents did get together and try to start something like this again it would work. Everyone is so down on our teenagers today! I know from experience our teens here are in alot of ways better than how we were back then. I know some are saying well you don't know so n so they do this and they do that! Well I will be quite honest on that most parents that say that aren't even looking at their own kids, their kids are usually the ones doing this and that! That's one thing I have never said and that is that my kid won't EVER do this or he/she won't EVER do that! I mean let's be honest most of us that post in here are adults right? Well think back on your youth and teen days...think of the things you done...now think about who got caught and who didn't. That's all it is ...some got caught and some didn't! We all experimented and we all done things that our parents/law enforcement wouldn't be proud of but the way I look at it is...Life is Trial and Error. We all are going to mess up somewhere down the road. We are all going to have skeletons in our closet that we don't won't others to know. So we really need to give our youth alot of credit...Their everyone human just as we were.

Go to Top of Page

zinger54

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  03:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn I don't know if the kids would like the same things . It seems like kids these days are into the "extreme " things. Like mountian biking or repelling off a cliff or bungee jumping. these thing hold a great deal of danger and risk . Even though there are some outfits that do take kids on these kinds of adventures ,I imagine its very expensive and would use alot of mom and dads change. There for making it mom and dads choice rather than the kids. I think you are right that a dance might seem dull to a todays teen . If there was a way to simulate these activities ,probably indoors and cutting out the danger and risk we might have something. It would take some serious thinking and creativity thats for sure. The velcro wall might be something . What else?

You know I hear alot about " the crappy skating rink" and the "crappy movie house" I think the skating rink could use a face lift or something to make it more attractive . There are lots of things you can do with a skating rink. Like create some sort of competition / game to make it more like a sporting thing . Offer some sort of skating classes to bring people in durring the day time and weeknights. Bring in a local teenage band a couple nights a week , they will play for cheap . just some thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

Lynne

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  10:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know there is the Funworld with the rock climbing wall and then there is the new paintball place. I dont know if it is open at night or not but would be nice if it was. Anyway, those are ways to do extreme stuff. I am wondering if we could somehow survey the highschool teens, get their opinion anonymously and as parents, put something together. Something they decided on in the survey. I mean if every parent contributed either,time, money, or talents to running it then it would serve a great purpose. What do you all think of that?

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  11:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know.... These old factorys would be a good start for something for the kids to do... The Factory in Franklin was a garment factory before all the games and such kicked off.

I know there are business men here that could make it happy and they also have the means to do so... if they pulled together.... I know it could happen.

We dont have to copy cat the others...

Go to Top of Page

Kaz

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  9:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started a relevant topic hoping to gather interest in getting a (frisbee) disc golf course put in one of the local parks, please see:

http://www.blairsville.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1069

Kevin A. ZaleskiGo to Top of Page

Rouge

USA
4350 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kaz.Hang in there friend. Us hens seem to stray

........KISS....

Rouge

Go to Top of Page

sentinel

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  4:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
I am interested, and I would love to help out. Please call or stop by the Union Sentinel, 745-6397.
Thanks,
Thor

Go to Top of Page

SoCcEr10

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  4:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think football, basketball, and soccer games are fun to hang out at and talk to your friends and such...

Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  8:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, i also went to the Teen club at the Civic center, LOL!! "You dropped the bomb on me", every time I hear that song I think of the dance club and going down the line and dancing!! WHEW!! What memories!

Go to Top of Page

Wolf 118

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been too a teen club.Whats it like?

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think they have them any more, Wolf. They were basically a place to hang out and dance. The closest equivalent, I think, is the 4-H dances that are held now.

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV!

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/05/2005 11:17:30 AMGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a great thing to me in my youth Wolf.

That Fun World is a good place for kids. They have security and a variety of things to do if you have PLENTY of moneys.lol

With God, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLEGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  02:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have decided that my house has become..."Kids and Teens need a place to hang out" and ya know what? I love it! Now there are times that I want to bop em but there all like my own ....I love them and worry about them just the same!

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the Best of everything. Love and Peace to all...Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  2:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw this topic, the thought came to me that Native's place would be a good place for teenagers, she already has three of them!!!

Go to Top of Page

Morning Coffee

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The kids who hang out downtown on the square are not well supervised by their parents. Take a look at the kids! They do not represent the teenagers of this community. Most parents I know forbid their kids to go there.

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teen places tend to spring up all over the land during springtime. They are called all sorts of names. As l travel l see hundreds of them and have inspected dozens for insurance companies( standard insurance companies will not write insurance on them). Invaribly they all close or are forced to close by the authorities within a few weeks.

At first all the kids go and have fun. some are supervised and some are not. Within a week and older crowd of boys start to come by "hitting on the younger girls". Then someone brings some beer and they go outside and drink. Male teen age testosterone, beer and girls leads to fights. The police show up, the placed is closed as a public nuiscence. The scenario is generally always the same. No l do not know the answer except move to the Yukon and homestaed where your neighbor is 50 miles away, Come to think about it, that would not be all that bad.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, there was a teen place a few years back, near the bowling alley and it did not last long.

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  8:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everytime I drive by the new skateboard park there seems to be at least 3 or 4 kids there. You have to admit it is really pretty lame and REALLY small. I think a larger one would be great! Even if it were a commercial one it would give kids a place to meet, hang out, impress each other with their skateboarding skills and get away from their computers! Our kids do need someplace to go. The batting cages are cool. Our Movie House really is in need of a major renovation. A new theater would be a real asset to the community, most everyone I know goes to the new one in Hiawassee,but we need a nice one here too! Maybe we should ask our teens what their thoughts are on this??? I mean how many are really going to sign up for the teen night advertised at the libray in the paper this week?? Not.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  12:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wu, thats the best reply yet hun. Its a humble one but those tend to be the best ones and I agree.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy