New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 9 visitors.
 All Forums
 Weather!
 Hurricane Season 2008
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well, we are 11 days into the 2008 Hurricane Season (don't mean the College Football Team by that name).

It looks like while Joy and I were without TV or Internet, there was a small named TS which hit Belize.  Oh well, looks like the tropics have calmed down for the time being.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
America:
Romans 1:18-32
II Chron 7:14

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Just a reminder to all who need or can use this information (some of these are not bad to have "just in case":

Prepare now for the upcoming hurricane season
Your emergency kit should have a 3 to 14-day supply of the following items:

The Basics:

�� Drinking water (1 gallon per person, per day)
�� Manual can opener
�� Nonperishable foods *
�� Canned meat, fish, fruit or vegetables
�� Bread in moisture proof packaging
�� Cookies, candy or dried fruit
�� Canned soups & nonperishable milk
�� Powdered or single serve drinks
�� Cereal or granola bars
�� Packaged ketchup, mustard & mayonnaise
�� Peanut butter & jelly
�� Instant tea or coffee
�� Flashlight (1 per person) *
�� Portable battery-powered lanterns
�� Large trash bags (lots of them)
�� Battery-powered radio *
�� Extra batteries, including hearing aid batteries
�� First aid kit including aspirin, antibiotic cream
�� Mosquito repellent
�� Sunscreen (45 SPF recommended)
�� Waterproof matches / butane lighter
�� Money *
�� Unscented bleach or water purification tablets (add 8 drops of bleach per gal.)
�� Maps of the area with landmarks on it

Cooking

�� Sterno fuel
�� Portable camp stove or grill w/ utensils
�� Stove fuel, charcoal w/ lighter fluid or propane
�� Disposable eating utensils, plates, cups
�� Napkins and paper towels
�� Aluminum foil
�� Oven mitts

Personal Supplies

�� Prescription medicines (1 month supply and copy of prescriptions) *
�� Feminine hygiene products
�� Toilet paper
�� Entertainment: books, games, toys and magazines *
�� Bedding: pillows, sleeping bags *
�� Change of clothing *
�� Rain ponchos & work gloves
�� Extra eye glasses or contacts

Babies

�� Disposable diapers *
�� Formula, food & medication *
�� Bottles & feeding utensils

Pet Supplies

�� Dry and/or canned food
�� ID tags and collars
�� Proof of recent immunizations
�� Water (1/2 gallon per day)
�� Litter box & supplies
�� Carrying container

Other Necessities

�� Tool Box
�� ABC rated fire extinguisher
�� Masking tape or duct tape
�� Outdoor extension cords
�� Spray paint
�� Standard, single line phone
�� Local phone book
�� Roofing tarps or plastic sheeting

Important Documents*

�� Insurance documents
�� A list of all your important contacts (family, doctors, insurance agents)
�� Banking information
�� Leases / mortgage
�� Proof of occupancy (such as utility bill) *
�� Photo inventory of your personal belongings *
�� Waterproof container to keep the documents in

* If you’re planning to evacuate to a Red Cross Evacuation Center, please be sure to take these items.

GrayEagle
America:
II Chron 7:14Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  6:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray, thats awesome of you to help out by providing the check list!
Have you chatted with Rouge lately? I hope that shes alright and I hope that YOU ALL are safe this Hurricane Season. God be with yall..

"A good heart is better than all the heads in the world."

Edward Bulwar - Lytton

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I was finally able to did out our generator. Been in "storage", in the garage, since Wilma (2005). She cranked up like she was new. Guess I did prep her for storage correctly. Now I gotta crank her up once or twice a month now just to make sure. However, I DON'T want to have to use her.

GrayEagle
America:

Edited by - GrayEagle on 06/20/2008 1:32:06 PMGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  8:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two months down and four to go!

GrayEagle
America:
We must be careful on how tolerant we become that we don't sacrifice our righteousness.Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  8:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope ya'll don't have any more hurricanes!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  8:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lav.  Technically, "we" haven't  had any this year....yet!   Texas is the only recipient so far.

GrayEagle
America:
We must be careful on how tolerant we become that we don't sacrifice our righteousness.Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  9:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter is in Houston, Texas on work assignment. According to the local weather reports, Hurricane Edourd will hit pretty close to Houston tomorrrow. She told me she would send me email updates on all the action and photos from the 11th floor of her hotel.

This should be interesting.

ShucksGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  05:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shucks, I hope she will be well.

Here is the current track from Weather Underground:
http://tinyurl.com/5hujro

Looks like it will be going just to the north of Houston, but it is still "only" a Tropical Storm.

GrayEagle
America:

Rouge

USA
4350 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  6:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the words of Bones McCoy..."Dammit Jim" TS Fay

.....KISS....

Rouge

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, looks like Key West is going to get some wind and rain Monday or Tuesday!  Let's hope that Fay doesn't want to take a more northerly turn and maybe a more westerly movement.

GrayEagle
America:

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Let's just hope Fay dies before reaching any part of FL or the states.

Is Rouge already under the bed???

"Smile, it enhances your face value."Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  1:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like TS Fay will pay a visit to Key West tomorrow evening, then take a trip up the west coast of FL.  By Thursday, you may be getting a small about of the rain and wind when she moves into SC.   Sometime between Thursday A.M. and Friday P.M. she should be come a depression.

During her visit to the FL west coast, she seems to be staying out over the water.  That could mean that those on the coast will have a lot of storm surge and lots of rain.

GrayEagle
America:

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  4:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't look good. Take care and be safe all my Florida friends!!!

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This shows the projected 5 day track.
http://tinyurl.com/6am5oj

GrayEagle
America:

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  4:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rouge, unless you are in Key West or on the west coast, you can come out from under the bed and quite eating your spam and drinking your beer.  Well, quit eating your spam will do. 

GrayEagle
America:

Rouge

USA
4350 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  05:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray, You know me so well

.....KISS.....

Rouge

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  08:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like we are getting and are going to get more and more from the "dirty" side of the storm.  Rouge, you might need to reconsider getting back under the bed!  I think this is going to be more of a rain and wind event more than anything else.  But I think there will be a lot more rain with this dirty little "lady" named Fay.

GrayEagle
America:

Rouge

USA
4350 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  1:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK..I am getting tired of crawling under the bed, I'm getting older now, and the bed is getting lower....I think my bed is shrinking, surely it is not me (Please don't call me Shirley ) I think I am going to find a new place to find my stash. Hopefully this wil be my last hurricane season before I move to Bartow county. I love you all, (most of you) but my gosh , some of you make my blood pressure rise over the acceptable range... But that is normal for me. I need a pizza for supper, that will help me calm down.. Gray... There is a new item I'm sure you will like like.... It is "Spam Lite" How bad that can it be..

.......KISS........

Rouge

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  2:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pizza, beer, and hurricanes sounds like a lovely diversion. It's almost time to make a new batch of beer, but my wife has been canning up a storm and its hard to get into the kitchen.

Shadow
ShadowGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  3:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another reason to stick around....Shadow is gonna make  you some home-made beer!  But SPAM-LITE!  I don't think I would care for that at all!

Looks like for the most part, Fay was just a bad thought for us.  Key West and the west coast still is in for some weather.

Have you considered crawling under the table, instead of the bed?  More room to store beer and that other stuff!

GrayEagle
America:

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  06:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Fay is just a dream for us down here.  However, the space coast, Jacksonville and west will be "enjoying" her company for the next few days.  Best thing out of Fay is all the inches of rain going into "the Lake".  Lake Okeechobee should come up several inches or maybe a foot or more.

Rouge, you can come out now!

GrayEagle
America:

Bob_Hill

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  6:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last rainfall amount total in the middle of Brevard county was 24.5 inches since Fay's arrival. I wish we could send some up to you folks. Many people have flooded homes and the sewers have backed up. I prefer hurricanes to this mess...

Almost there...Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  8:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wish some of the rain would come up here too Bob!

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  8:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, do you live in Titusville or close by?  My sister and BIL live there.

GrayEagle
America:

Bob_Hill

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Melbourne, Gray. The rain gauge is now 30 inches in a subdivision called Windover Farms, about 1 mile away from me. We have National Guard troops with a Humvee stuck in a ditch by my work building. The street is flooded and were supposed to direct/divert traffic. They tried to drive around a car and didn't know a drainage ditch was there. So now the folks sent to help us out have totally clogged the road with 3 humvees all trying to get the other out of a ditch on a 2 lane road...at least it stopped raining and the sun has peaked out. I hope it will head up to Union county now and give you folks some much needed relief.

Almost there...Go to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy