New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.

All Forums
 Outdoor Activities
 ? regarding Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
ricks

85 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently, this isn't a really long train ride...rather a fairly short ride to McCaysville and Copperhill, a lengthy layover there, and then a fairly short ride back to Blue Ridge.

My daughter, son-in-law, and two grandkids (8&3yoa)are coming up for a few days over July 4. Is this something the kids would enjoy or are they going to be more bored than impressed, particularly with the layover to go shopping or whatever.

IluvGa.

United States
236 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  2:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit IluvGa.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does it cost a lot to ride this train?

I just love this place,Blairsville. I can hardly wait to move there.I am a country girl at heart, and i am tired of this city here.However the weather is beautiful here right now. Getting used to the cold would be hard but as long as i have flannel shirtsGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  10:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IluvGa, here is their web address:

http://brscenic.com/

It has information about rates and trips.Go to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to ride this next Saturday with various ages of kids and I'll be able to give some impressions based on that afterwards.

Go to Top of Page

bears way

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit bears way's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have taken several sets of people all ages on the train ride, they
all seem to enjoy it.

Kangeroo Farm east of Eiljay is great, all ages enjoy it. Rent a
pontoon on Lake Chatuge, great fun,

dreamlandGo to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  12:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been on this ride twice. Once several years ago and the other last year. I thought the view along the river wasn't as good as it used to be. The trees have grown and in a lot of places along the ride you can't even see the river. If you go (especially in the summer) be sure to get in an air conditioned train car. You will be a lot more comfortable.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

IluvGa.

United States
236 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  7:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit IluvGa.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I'm going to ride this train too, maybe this year.

Kimmy, God is good all the time.Go to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  09:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote

As indicated earlier, we rode the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway this past weekend. The train ride itself takes an hour each way, although distance wise it doesn't travel far (The distance from Blue Ridge to McCaysville is only about ten miles, although the train takes a more scenic route that adds about three miles). So it's a nice leisurely authentic train ride along the Toccoa River.

Once you get to the the destination point, it's time to disembark and explore the joined towns of McCaysville, GA and Copper Hill, TN.

Most people head to restaurants for lunch once they get off, which means the restaurants get very busy in a short amount of time. It's possible to get a box lunch from BRSR or bring your own lunch and eat in the pavilion right where you disembark. This avoids the restaurant crowds and I think makes for a more enjoyable experience.

Once you're done eating, it's fun to walk around and follow the blue line separating Georgia from Tennessee (conveniently marked in light blue along the roads and sidewalks and even onto some of the buildings). Aside from walking around, there are curio and antique shops to wander through. We didn't wander into anything that captured the young kids' attention and even as adults, it was a little hard to find something to occupy our time.

The train ride definitely gets the youngsters' attention though and the river is pleasant enough to watch from the train. There's some garbled announcements along the way pointing out items of interest like the recreated Cherokee Indian fish trap (shown below).

We followed up the train trip with a cook-out on the grill back at the house. Overall, we enjoyed the train trip and thought it made for a wonderful family outing. If you're looking for something to do as a family for four or five hours (and more if you combine it with a cookout like we did), then Blue Ridge Scenic Railway on a warm Spring or Summer day is an excellent way to go!

Go to Top of Page

swissroger

USA
7922 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  5:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great report how it actually is, unfortunaly no steam engine, thanks for the pics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3t8PwHvj10

Wise men learn through the mistakes of others, Smart men learn through their own mistakes, and monkeys learn through repetition.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  8:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice pics! I feel like i'm almost there.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy