New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.

All Forums
 Seen around our community
 Seen at a veteran's grave
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although my grandfather did not die in war, he was a veteran of both World War II and the Korean War and was a German POW for many years. He was buried with military honors when he passed away in 1991.

During each Memorial Day weekend we pay special attention to his grave and make sure it's cleaned up and well tended for the holiday. These are pictures I took of that activity today.

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  12:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a beautiful thing to do for your grandfather.
Those pictures reminded me of how we spent last Memorial Day. We (Gray, LJ and myself) were at Arlington National Cemetery for the ceremony there. The VFW had spent countless hours placing American flags at each of the thousands of graves  on the hillsides that make up the cemetery. It was truly a beautiful sight, especially knowing that all of the men and women who have been laid to rest there gave their lives so that our country could remain free.
Following the main ceremony we watched as different organizations placed floral tributes at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
 Probably the saddest part of the day was when we found the grave of a friend from our days in Virginia who had been killed in Iraq. He was such a fine young man who was ambushed from a mosque on a routine patrol.
Over the next few days when you see someone who you know served in the military, take a moment to thank them for their service to our country.
Thanks Mr. Bill for sharing.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from visiting some of my friends and relatives myself, flags fly where there were none, conversations had with the far away and rememberances were shared although they couldn't speak.

whyGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing Mr.Bill.

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -Abraham LincolnGo to Top of Page

jandrax

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this may not be the place for this but to everyone past and present that has ever served our country in this fashion i would like to say THANK YOU!!!..... if not for you this counrty would not be what it is.

Go to Top of Page

hwy129

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  2:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwy129's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That really is nice. And, I'm glad to see young people taking part in it. It seems like the more modern we get, the less we remember how things should be done.Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy