New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 7 visitors.
 All Forums
 Seen around our community
 Seen off of Loving Road
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  4:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this is along the lines of what Country was talking about in another topic...

swissroger

USA
7923 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  4:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit swissroger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is that the wally disaster?

verry nice that here is an place to show pics too!!!

"work is for me an bad interruption between two hollidays"Go to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, this is far from the Wal-Mart build site. This is up in the northwest corner of the county.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  5:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:( it is sad.. subdivision, conv. store... ? Yep.. thats far away from the 4 lane.. well not far far but thats Gods country out yunder!

hope and loveGo to Top of Page

Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  8:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You've got that right, Mr. Bill...

I used to drive down Loving Road and was always inspired - I would pray, think, dream, etc. But no more. I am distracted by all of the clear cutting going on. It's ugly.

Welcome to the mountains... blend in or move onGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  05:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I would never clear cut anything.

Seriously, what kind of builder would be so stupid as to clear cut for no reason? Most people want trees on their building lot.

Whenever I see a raw land or a house with no trees, it is completely undesirable to me. Why would I want a barren desolate lot, when I could easily find something with lots of trees?

If a developer isn't smart enough to save the trees, how is that the newcomer's fault?

County, you couldn't be any sadder about it than I am. I am pissed off that someone who owns a vacant lot in my neighborhood, and isn't planning on building for years, decided to hack down a bunch of trees. Now we all have to stare at the ugliness that used to be a beautiful lot. And these trees that were cut down are on the side of the property; not where the house would go!

They actually destroyed the only hint of privacy the future house would have from the road. Now they have ragged stumps.

It's not just my opinion; the whole neighborhood thinks the same. No one can figure out why those particular trees had to go!

You can't fix stupid.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  06:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
the whole neighborhood thinks the same. No one can figure out why those particular trees had to go!

Were they pines? Pine beetle could be a reason.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  11:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOPE!

They were mostly tall beautiful Poplars, maybe some Oak.

Most of their lot was already clear with an established lawn - plenty of room to build a house without cutting a single tree! Almost all the trees ran down one side of the lot and separated it from a small road with a neighbor's home on the other side.

It sits right on the lake and looked like a small park.

They left a few trees, but mostly thinned it out drastically. It now has a scraggly look with high tree stumps and a newly visible small ravine where the trees were situated.

No matter how many times I look at it, I can't see the rhyme or reason behind the trees that were selected to be cut down.

No one gets it, so I am not alone.

It's been uglified (new word).

Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  3:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

from WF:
Whenever I see a raw land or a house with no trees, it is completely undesirable to me. Why would I want a barren desolate lot, when I could easily find something with lots of trees?

If a developer isn't smart enough to save the trees, how is that the newcomer's fault?

end quote

Well, they do sell these lots because all the lots are sold in a barren area near my place. But not one local person bought a lot in there. The newcomers sometimes don't know any better since they maybe came from an area without trees.

Welcome to the mountains... blend in or move on

Edited by - Country on 05/02/2008 3:36:44 PMGo to Top of Page

iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  7:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same kind of tree removal is going on in several large areas along Loving Road. The property owner has had the land for sale for a long time. Now, they are taking out the trees and putting in roads.
It is disheartening.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  7:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Country, I really don't want to defend anyone one way or the other.  However, speaking for myself only.  We looked at a lot of places before we bought where we did.  The area was really nice, the view (to us) was and is very good.  Our property is somewhat "level" which is very important to us because of my wife's physical condition, and well, we just are not getting any younger.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the developer is the one who cut most (not all) of the trees down.  He sold them and made more money off of the property besides what he made from selling the lots.  Personally, I would rather have more trees than we do, but we are also satisfied with what have and what we are now building our dream on.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
America:
Romans 1:18-32
II Chron 7:14Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  7:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That aint yalls fault or the builders.. I do know this.. and they scalped that area years ago.. thinking a dump might be there but wasnt.. and I am glad its not! Now yall have kept a place untouched since yall have had it for a bird sanctuary.. and I KNOW how much yuns like growing those beautiful plants.. but alotsa developers do scalp the land..
Yall have the best lot I do believe too..

hope and loveGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected by our wonderful Daughter! big smile

And of course it is the best lot out there! tongue

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
America:
II Chron 7:14Go to Top of Page

BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  8:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Gray, you have lots of rabbits as big as my dog.  Be careful of what plants you pick because the rabbits are hearty eaters!  (Not to mention all your deer.)

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard about the rabbits today! I've seen some deer out there also. Tonight I was given a "do not kill" order for Bambi and Thumper! big smile Have to look for some way to deter the wild critters that doesn't involve a .22 for the small ones and a 30.30 or so for the larger ones!

GrayEagle
<)))<><
America:
II Chron 7:14

Edited by - GrayEagle on 05/02/2008 9:16:49 PMGo to Top of Page

halfnut

88 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  12:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
country, YOUR OWN NATIVE ONES SOLD THEIR LAND,FOR THIS TO BE DONE.

Go to Top of Page

Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  6:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yep they did, for several reasons:

can't afford the taxes anymore

can't stand to live here anymore - got to sell the land and get out.

Just because someone sells their land doesn't mean the person who buys it has to scrape it.

Scraping the land has nothing to do with the seller.

Your statment doesn't make sense.

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  8:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That clear cutting on Loving makes me sick.

"Uglified" sums it up very well.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  01:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Country,

Here is something you can rely on . . . I do not know one single newcomer who ever wanted a lot without trees on it!!!!!

EVEN if they came from an area without as many trees. Every one I know of that has built their homes here, left an abundance of trees.

Now, what GrayEagle said also comes into play . . . some people have to compromise on the lot they buy. They might need level land, or a certain location in the county, a certain price, or whatever. Their options might be limited by other needs, so it's hard to judge why they ended up with what they did.

As GrayEagle said, he would have preferred more trees, but had to take other things into consideration.

Hey, I have seen at least two new houses on the market, with superior floorplans (ones that make sense)and superior finish work, and both have almost NO trees. If a person is looking for an existing house in order not to have to build, they could easily end up choosing something with no trees even if they personally would have preferred them.

I'm sure there are always going to be a few people willing to buy anything, but the vast majority of transplants are looking for trees. Any developer who doesn't know this is a fool.

A lot of the newcomers I know, started out looking for an existing home to buy. But when you start looking, you rarely find both the type of lot you want combined with the type of house you want. So they all built their own.

Some developers cut down trees because they are lazy. They don't want to exert the extra care it takes to save as many as possible.

BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  1:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the area you are talking about? 

http://www.flagapartnersllc.com/land.html

Go to Top of Page

Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If so Blue Rose, isn't that interesting, a Florida developer.

Welcome to the mountains... blend in or move on

Edited by - Country on 05/05/2008 8:56:10 PMGo to Top of Page

Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  8:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

WF - I didn't mean that you PERSONALLY new the outsiders that bought in the development near me - I merely stated a fact - all of the buyers were outsiders, not one local person. And by local I'm not saying native, I'm saying local.

iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is this the area you are talking about? [size=3]

http://www.flagapartnersllc.com/land.html

How did people not know that?

People that are disgusted should email the developer and give him hell.

I just did.

Go to Top of Page

Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do we know for sure? - Mr. Bill - where was that taken?Go to Top of Page
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That development is on the other end of Loving Road and I didn't follow it that far to see what they're doing over there.

I think this {click link} (south side) is the property parcel that goes with the picture I took.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arentchya glad ya didnt? :(

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."
Admiral Hyman G. Rickover, "father" of America's nuclear navy (1900-1986).
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy