New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Area News
 19/129 widening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  8:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised to learn that someone in our government has decided to widen 19/129. Why? This road is not congested. I drive it everyday and sometimes I get behind a slow person who clogs it but it's not over-crowded. The houses and businesses are going to suffer tremendously with this widening. Plus, our tax dollars just paid for the re-surfacing. I can't get any straight answers out of local officials - just the surveyors. Comments anyone?

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since 19/129 is a US (Federal) highway, I suspect that it is part of the FedDOT or GaDOT program for highway improvements and has little or nothing to do with the county.

GrayEagle
<)))<><
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.

Edited by - GrayEagle on 03/03/2008 12:27:15 PMGo to Top of Page

moon&stars

United States
101 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  10:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit moon&stars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are they widening north and south both?Go to Top of Page
Country

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only talked to surveyors north of town

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to disagree, 19-129 North needs something done to it, have you tried to pull out into the highway, I have as some one kin to me lives on that hwy. I wish they could reroute it to get it away from the lake and the houses along there. You are right about affecting many people and many established houses, most of which have been there for years.

While it may not affect you riding down that hwy it surely affects those living or visiting.

whyGo to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  09:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
129 is a dangerous, busy road, I have lived down that way my whole life. It's lots of fun to try and pull out from Gum Log Rd or from Pat Colwell in the mornings.

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to.Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Compared to most other areas I've lived, 19/129 is a "lightly" traveled road.  I know that getting out on to the highway from a side road is difficult.  Seems like a traffic light at Gumlog and Pat Colwell would take care of that problem. I hate to see another 4-lane in our future.

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years back there was a traffic study ran and the Murphy highway was busier than 515. I too hate to see them 4-lane 19-129N but something needs to be done. The lake prevents diverting traffic toward Murphy before it gets to town from Blue Ridge in any decent manner.

Fawn where are you compareing it to?

whyGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  1:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A redlight won't help, we have one at Poteetes, and people just laugh as they blow through it. There are still accidents there, as a matter of fact there was one yesterday.

Now a speed bump would be excellent.

I never understood why the passing lane was turned into a turning lane, in front of empty fields?

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Edited by - HoneyBee on 03/03/2008 1:58:52 PMGo to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  3:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to chime in too. I drive almost all of 129n and its fine. Well, it can use another passing lane in a spot or two but it moves people perfectly. If more retail comes though it will need work. But I believe it is just fine right now and I am on all hours of the day everyday.

Go to Top of Page

Laurel

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  6:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laurel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We were affected in a MAJOR negative way just with the resurfacing. I can't imagine what would happen with a widening! I don't think the road needs to be widened. Are there any 19/129N retailers out there?

Laurel
Rountree's Furniture & DecorGo to Top of Page

Joy

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  7:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully, they'll start after school's out and have it finished before the new school year. That was awful trying to get the kids to school on time. School buses were even late on most days. Of course, it'll still be bad for people going to work.

129 is dangerous. I almost got hit head on by someone who pulled out into the wrong lane in front of Hughes store. I don't know if an extra lane is going to help people who are just not aware of what they're doing when they're driving.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  8:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joy, that's the exact spot where I was rear ended the Fri before Christmas and I'm still hurting. It may not be bumper to bumper but the speed limit is too high to be a two lane road.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  9:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hughes and right on up to Pat Colwell is a bad place to crossover traffic.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  10:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a lot of people seem to forget is that 129 is a HWY!!! No speed bumps on a Hwy, that's for certain. I like the passing lanes, but hate the fact that they close up so fast to a 2-lane again.
I think it may be a sign of the times that we need a 4 lane. How else can those Wal-mart trucks get through to b'ville? C'mon...you asked for it, & got it!!! Congrats.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  01:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I avoid North 129 like the plague.

When I first moved to the mountains in 2001, it wasn't bad. But I go out of my way to avoid it now.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  9:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this coming, but I'm not excited about the need for this, however the need exists.

Everday I've got someone up my ??? pushing me down that dang road, if I go 70, there they are, what happened to a nice peaceful morning drive in the country to work?

People are rude and so I'll be glad to see another lane, so they can rush to wherever the heck it is they're racing to (and did not wake up in time to get to), because they destroy the peace of my morning drive.

I might add, I always drive slightly over the limit, yet am so irate by the time to get to work that that is not nice. I moved to the country for a peaceful life.

Cherry Blossom

S,,M,,I,,L,,E

Go to Top of Page

Betsy

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  9:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Betsy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have been talking about that for 5 years, maybe they will wait another 5. It might not affect me, but it will alot of people.

Go to Top of Page

FUNNYGIRL

United States
14 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  10:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit FUNNYGIRL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I currently have a business on 129/no and when I built it 8 years ago they made me put a decelarating lane in (which was not cheap or in the budget for our project)to prepare for a 4 lane ( which they said would come within a year of us building). It has been 7 years since that statement. Are they going to? I don't know. As much as I would like to see it stay a 2 lane I don't feel we will win due to the fact this little town of our's is growing.

NANCY S.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  11:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry summarized the reason I hate North 129.

It does not matter if you drive the exact speed limit. Someone always wants to run over you, because you're not illegally speeding fast enough to suit them.

Where are the cops?

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

lillyrose

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  1:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit lillyrose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ALL I CAN SAY IS GOOD FOR THEM! I HOPE THEY WIDEN IT. LIVING OFF 129 FOR A LONG TIME AND I'M SICK OF ALL THE ACCIDENTS AND PEOPLE ALMOST RAMIN UP MY BEHIND TRYING TO TURN OFF. WHAT THEY ALSO NEED ARE MORE POLICE PRESENT TO GIVE OUT TICKETS. THEY CAN MAKE THEIR MONEY OFF ONE WEEKEND HANDING OUT TICKETS TO IMPROVE OUR DRUG FORCE!

Go GreenGo to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  2:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol.......... why always drag the cops into it? If they get out there and burn the road down to a crawl, then the whinning and crying about Darth Vader in their black cars and tinted windows will hit a new high. Especially if Jr. gets his class D license revoked for speeding.

Edited by - MiddleAgeCrazy on 03/06/2008 2:10:34 PMGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  2:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MAC, looks like you are "darned" if you do and "darned" if you don't!  Ya can't win can you? frown

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.Go to Top of Page

BlueRose

417 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  2:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got that right Mac.  I for one want to give all the cops a big kiss.kisses

Go to Top of Page

iluvit

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol.......... why always drag the cops into it? If they get out there and burn the road down to a crawl, then the whinning and crying about Darth Vader in their black cars and tinted windows will hit a new high. Especially if Jr. gets his class D license revoked for speeding.

Edited by - MiddleAgeCrazy on 03/06/2008 2:10:34 PM

I second your comment!

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  3:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BlueRose come on down to Savannah for St. Patricks Parade and you can kiss all the cops and firemen and military boys you can stand.
The gals all break out tubes of fire engine red lipstick and put it on heavy. Those guys had 10-15 sets of lips apiece plastered all over their faces. They even climbed up in the tanks and Humvees and kissed the operators.

Edited by - MiddleAgeCrazy on 03/06/2008 4:20:07 PMGo to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy