New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 18 visitors.

All Forums
 Union County Schools
 Chorus at Union County Schools
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  3:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What gives with chorus at school? Anyone heard anything?

It seems that there are 120 chorus students in 7th,8th,9th 10th grades. The princupal wants it cut to 80, because in his estimation chorus is "not as important".Some chorus students will be "cut' for no reason. An intern chorus director is at the school now, why not just hire him?

Any input or info would be appreciated.

Shucks

xy

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  08:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re: The principal wants it cut to 80, because in his estimation chorus is "not as important".

Doesn't the study of music help with the study/understanding of mathematics?

During the Nov. 13, 2006 school board meeting, wasn't permission granted - by the school board - for the establishment of UC Schools Chorus Booster Association?

Go to Top of Page

coffee

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  11:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a student teacher - not an intern.

Go to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  5:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Doesn't the study of music help with the study/understanding of mathematics?

Yes it does...

Schools that have music programs have significantly higher graduation rates than do those without programs (90.2% as compared to 72.9%). In addition, those that rate their programs as “excellent” or “very good” have an even higher graduation rate (90.9%). Schools that have music programs have significantly higher attendance rates than do those without programs (93.3% as compared to 84.9%). Harris Interactive poll of high school principals conducted Spring 2006; funded by MENC and NAMM. For more info, contact info@menc.org

Students in high-quality school music programs score higher on standardized tests compared to students in schools with deficient music education programs, regardless of the socioeconomic level of the school or school district. Students in top-quality music programs scored 22% better in English and 20% better in math than students in deficient music programs. Students in top-quality instrumental programs scored 19% higher in English than students in schools without a music program. Students in top quality instrumental programs scored 17% higher in math than children in schools without a music program. Students at schools with excellent music programs had higher English and math test scores across the country than students in schools with low-quality music programs. Students in all regions with lower-quality instrumental programs scored higher in English and math than students who had no music at all. – MENC Journal of Research in Music Education, Winter 2006, vol. 54, No. 4, pgs. 293- 307; “Examination of Relationship between Participation in School Music Programs of Differing Quality and Standardized Test Results” Christopher M. Johnson and Jenny E. Memmott, University of Kansas

quote:
During the Nov. 13, 2006 school board meeting, wasn't permission granted - by the school board - for the establishment of UC Schools Chorus Booster Association?

Yes indeed. Rob Murray, father of talented high school senior singer Ashley Murray, gave a short presentation on the merits of this association and the school board gave its blessings then. I haven't heard anything regarding it since that time, but I recall there were a good number of families interested in participating in this association.

Go to Top of Page

ENOUGH

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shucks you should be careful about starting a thread when you do not base it on facts. The number "80" is mandated from the state. It is a state regulated guideline, not some number that the school system has thrown out there. I'm sure if you would have called the chorus instructor, or the school system, they would have been happy to let you know the facts. I will not attempt to speak for the principal, but I bet he does not feel that the chorus department is any less important than any other club within the school system.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  08:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enough, you said that the number 80 was mandated by the state.  Is that number the maximum  or minimum?  Just wondering is all.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enough, I did not state anything except asks for additional information and confirmation.

Ok, that being said, if the 80 is a state mandate, then why does Forsyth County have over 200, Haralson has 115 and most every other county have over 80. Now speaking of getting facts straight!!!

ShucksGo to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  09:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shucks, Enough is correct in that you also attributed a reason behind the cuts as "because in his estimation chorus is 'not as important'." However curmudgeonly you might have put it though, you put it out there for others to weigh in on and offer different perspectives. That's the beauty of this medium.

Enough, since you know a little more about the situation, we're happy you helped clarify somewhat the "why"s behind the cuts.

I have to wonder how or if the high school communicated the cuts to the parents. From my own kids, I know that they are imperfect message carriers. Are there any thoughts to better using the school website as a communication vehicle out to the parents? Certainly the value of updating it with school closing information has been recognized. Could it be time to make it just as important and relevant as the sheets of papers teachers pass out to their students to take home to the parents?

Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow, as you are aware I am still a practicing curmudgeon.

Yes, it would be great if the schools concerns were given to the parents involved. I think there may be more support for decisions if all the information were transmitted in a timely manner.

ShucksGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shucks, as big of a curmudgeon as you are, at least you don't bombinate on and on about things. 

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.Go to Top of Page

xy

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  10:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've wonder for a few years now why the "About Us" page on the school system website still has 2003/2004 school year information and nothing more recent.

Would that be difficult to update?

Go to Top of Page

reality check

6 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  9:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked out the schools website and I hope they are not teaching our kids technology there! That thing is so outdated. It still has stuff about the first day of school. They should at least go on there and take the outdated stuff off. That looks bad on the school.

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy