New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.

All Forums
 Union County Schools
 Staph at High School
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My student came home and said there is a case of staph infection at the high school, is this something to worry about?

Edited by - justamom on 10/23/2007 7:49:05 PM

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, there's lots of staff at the high school! LOL. Ok sorry, it was funny.

Did you mean "staph" as in the staph infection? I think this was already discussed somewhere on here. ?? I'll try to find it and maybe than can help answer your question.

Edited by - JawJa Gurl on 10/23/2007 4:07:45 PMGo to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  4:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, nevermind, the topic was discussin it in general and not about it bein at the school. Sorry I'm not much help.

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  4:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Funny!!! From what I heard the student can't be at school and I have been hearing about it on TV. Apparently this student caught it on Fall Break. I would think if it were the bad kind of staph they would let us know?????

Edited by - justamom on 10/23/2007 7:50:54 PMGo to Top of Page

Southern_Sue

61 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  7:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is true, there is staph at the school. My son plays football and they were told that the locker rooms are being "washed down". They were also told to bring all their stuff home for us to wash! I'm not sure if a student has it or if they are just being safe, but I do know that they are taking some precautions!

Go to Top of Page

babyloo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hope the student cannot come back to school. The staph strain out there now is terrible, so I would not want my child around anyone who had it.  GMA had a feature on the MRSA stuff, and the reporter said you could get it from a towel!!  It is supposed to be very, very contagious. Has the school let any of the parents know of this? 

babylooGo to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  08:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness. Y'all be careful! It is a serious thing. As I mentioned in the other thread about staph, my daddy caught it and it was fatal. Hopin the school gets cleaned up and the students don't get it! Good question Babyloo, has the school notified anyone yet?

Here's a link to an article about it goin around and it also has some signs to look for. Just thot it was interestin....

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14410297/detail.html

Edited by - JawJa Gurl on 10/24/2007 09:03:20 AMGo to Top of Page

xy

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

People need to get back to basic guidelines -

WASH YOUR HANDS

after using the restroom,

before you eat,

etc.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  10:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry students diagnosed with staph infection

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/stories/2007/10/23/Staph_1024_web.html?cxntnid=amn102407e

Luke 6:27,28Go to Top of Page

babyloo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I heard there were two cases of staph in the high school and that they are disinfecting the place.  I wonder if they are washing the desktops after every block?  That sort of stuff can live forever on a surface like that.  Caution your children not to put their faces down on a desk!

It is hard to wash your hands in a place like the schools because there are no lavatories/sinks in the classrooms.  When my children were in school, there was NEVER soap and paper towels to use--NEVER!  I am sure it is no better now. 

babylooGo to Top of Page

xy

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  2:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: " . . .It is hard to wash your hands in a place like the schools because there are no lavatories/sinks in the classrooms. When my children were in school, there was NEVER soap and paper towels to use--NEVER! I am sure it is no better now."

I used to send hand sanitizer to school with my kids.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  9:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just going to go ahead and tell you ...We were told today that "JUST" the walkin clinic ALONE sees MRSA every other day as of right now. Surgeries are performed on this every day too. Aputations. And excisions also...This is just beginning to rear it's ugly head. Hand washing is good as sanitizers too but ANY open sore be sure to keep it clean and something over it to keep it covered. This is the start of many cases. Open wounds that won't heal. And yes it is in the school. It's in the work places it's among everything and everywhere. It lives on surfaces..(pens, shaking another person's hand, hard surfaces, porous surfaces..) in other words...EVERYWHERE! Keep your nose clean and hands clean! Yep!

I live in my own little world; But that's ok, they all know me here.Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was on one of our local TV stations tonight.

MSRA: Fact Vs. Fiction.
http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_297152314.html

This might provide some additional information for all of us.

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Careful what you say about someone. Someone else may know more about you than you think!Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  9:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That article is so true. I have been around MRSA patients for years..and knocking on wood ...I haven't ever acquired it that I know of. Of course I would know if I had. People who sit for long period of time are apt to get the anal or rectal type. People who are on the knees (carpenters) are apt to get it on their knees. Kids who scratch their bug bites are apt to get it into their system by their hands. But as the Dr. says it normally people with low immune systems (cancer, diabetics, etc) so it's very worth while to keep a check but not be too paranoid . (althought I have Germ X everywhere and Clorox Wipes too ..*sigh*

I live in my own little world; But that's ok, they all know me here.Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  06:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Info Guys, Thanks! Why all of a sudden is this staph on the news and all over the schools? I know there has always been staph on surfaces, I guess we just never heard much about it or the media has jumped on it??? Will have to get more informed and wash hands more! Hope they make the kids stay out of school if they have it.

Edited by - justamom on 10/25/2007 06:48:33 AMGo to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard a doctor from Emory on the radio this mornin sayin this isn't somethin new and has always been around but we're just hearin a lot about it now more than before b/c it's comin more common now since doctors have created the problem by always prescribin antibiotics for things at the drop of a hat and when not necessary and now bodies aren't fightin things as they should. It's good to not always take lots antibiotics b/c you don't wanna break your body down.

It's ugly stuff, be careful! Pretty soon we're gonna have to live in a bubble around us! Lol.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tough staph hits 5 more students
The latest diagnoses of the drug-resistant, life-threatening bacteria involves two students at North Cobb High School in Kennesaw, two students at Osborne High School in Marietta and one student at Southside High School in Atlanta. So far, an estimated 23 students have been infected.

Makes me glad we don't use antibiotics very much. When we need them they may actually work.

Luke 6:27,28Go to Top of Page

Betsy

USA
439 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Betsy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally know the family of the girl that got the infection over Fall break. She was not at school, her mother was very cautious about it. She kept her out longer then the doctors made her out b/c there was still a wound. She caught it in another state while visiting family. Thank God she is 100% ok now and able to go to school now.

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy