New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 4 visitors.
 All Forums
 Weather!
 Hurricane Season 2007
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought there was a topic for this already, but guess not.

So far we have had two named storms this season. Rouge, got the beer and spam ready?

Anyway, what I really wanted to say, this first day of July, is........

ONLY FIVE MORE MONTHS OF HURRICANE SEASON LEFT!

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  09:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My parents are getting their hurricane box together with all the essentials.  I don't think my mom would ever put spam in it, but you never know!!

Hopefully, it will be another mild one this year.

"You are the gatekeeper of your own mind, be receptive to those good thoughts"Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  12:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray,  i refuse to stay here again .     Wilma was the last straw for me.

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  12:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are going to close the shutters and hop on 75 and drive north non-stop

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  1:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on up, lovegeorgia!!!

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  1:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we will Coosa.  i refuse to stay again.  a Cat 1 , maybe, but nothing higher than that.  in fact, i will be working this week to pack essentials in a box, a suitcase of clothing so if we get a warning,  we are ready to jump in the car before the crowds

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  2:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not real sure what we will do. The building where I work is a hurricane shelter for the employees and tenants of the building. Also we can bring small pets, but they must be in a cage.

GrayEagle
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  4:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Gray, that is great that they allow pets. it really is not so much the storm itself, it is the aftermath.   3 weeks without power, we have a generator but not enough for a/c, people going crazy at the FEMA ice distributions sites.  They had to have the National Guard out here because of the fights in line.  you know, the whole thing. 

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I could not live without ice !!

Go to Top of Page

honeybear cubs

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  5:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray and Love, my heart is with you, as it is with all of my family and friends in FL during Hurricane Season. I am an Andrew, Jeanne, and Francis survivor...as well as a few others that were smaller that didn't even leave as much of an impression for me to recall their names! Andrew wiped us out, so the aftermath was camping with relatives until we could find another home, and trying to replace all of our basic essentials. A nightmare that I could go on for hours discussing. Our experience with Jeanne and Francis was more of the aftermath stress. Our house was blessedly spared, unlike some of our family members. However, we did have a few weeks without power...kids out of school...excruciating heat...husband working numerous hours...oh dear, I shudder just remembering it. But, all in all, when I compare my experiences to those of the Lousiana Katrina victims, I realize in the long run, we were the lucky ones... Even compared to Andrew, where we lost our home and most of our material possessions, at least we weren't sitting on our roof beams trying to avoid drowning. I pray to God no one has to experience that ever again.

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  6:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

honeybear cubs,  very aptly put.  i have friends from the homestead, kendall area that lost everything , as well.    yes, we are extremely blessed and thankful that we did not experience what the Katrina survivors and victims did.  i cannot even imagine the horror.  that is why i will not stay here again. my neighbors and i know we had tornadoes during Wilma, there is no way this devastation was from hurricane force winds alone.  i have lived here since 9 yrs of age and have been through many, many hurricanes.  after Andrew, i did not see hubby for about 3 wks. i hated the fact that he was even down in that area, that war zone with lotters, etc.  i am awfully sorry to hear that you and your family were victims of Andrew.  did you live in Country Walk? 

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  6:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I was very lucky. I lived in florida for 32 years and never went thru a bad hurricane. (I lived near Daytona Beach) I think the hurricanes are getting worse and worse.

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  6:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, it is just that there are so many per season lately.  just the preparation and anxiety of it all is too much.    it was ok when we were young, but this is really a pain now.    just do not have the tolerance for it anymore.

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  6:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray, why did you start this topic??????  just kiddingbig smilecoolsmile

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  7:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, there are so many more storms each year. When you are young, you have hurricane parties!!

Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  7:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We became accustomed to packing up what was important to us in just a couple of hours then "getting out of Dodge".  We were luckier than Love and Cubbie.  We never experienced a great deal of damage but the aftermath was terrible....no power!  We had a gas hot water heater and a couple of the neighbors came over everyday for showers.  Love....hope you aren't hit again this year and soon will be here in the mountains fulltime.

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  9:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fawn, thanks. so do i.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

TS Dean update:

Looks like Dean will become a Cat 3 sometime around Monday.  The projected forecast if for Dean to pass to the south of Cuba.  www.weatherunderground.com is a great place to check out the latest information.

All the computer models show a south of Cuba track except one and it has Dean hitting Hispaniola.  Throw that track out, and it looks good for Florida but bad for Cuba!

GrayEagle
If you are not part of the solution, then are you part of the problem?Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck everyone, I would not want to be you, that's why I refused to move to Florida when my parents wanted me to, that and taxes and homeowners and of course the sweat involved with living there.

I hope you are all safe!

I'm sure everyone who dies in one of these storms want to ask God, "Why did you let us die in this storm?". I'm sure God answers, "Why did you live in a place where you knew these storms occured?".

My advise is to MOVE!!!! Are you guys nuts?

Cherry Blossom

S,,M,,I,,L,,E

Edited by - Cherry Blossom on 08/15/2007 08:51:53 AMGo to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  1:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry, i had no choice.  i was 9 when my parents moved here.  No, i am not nuts for staying, this house has been on the market for a year.  our land sits in Blairsville waiting for us to b uild a house.   we will not stay if there is a hurricane.  Wilma almost did me in.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  2:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family is not nuts either, they love their home and their town in Jupiter, I personally can't understand anyone paying the taxes and insurance rates she does, but my family is very different from me, clearly.

However I voluntarily moved to a place that allows me to earn less than 1/2 of what I made when I was 18 years old, so go figure. I'm no rocket scientist either.

I do like the beauty, but my pay check is no beauty at all!!

Cherry Blossom

S,,M,,I,,L,,E

Edited by - Cherry Blossom on 08/15/2007 2:56:30 PMGo to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  9:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are here ONLY, and I mean ONLY because of my husband's job! We are certainly not here because we want to be! My husband is three years and two months until retirement (again) and it would be "nuts" for him to quit his job so close to time for him to retire.

All of our married life (38 years on August 30) we have had to live where the Army sent us or where the defense contractor sent us. In three years and two months we will finally be able to go and live where WE WANT TO LIVE!!!!! IN BLAIRSVILLE!!!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray, Joy and others in storm prone areas, take care and do not take any chances. Hed any warnings to leave, we do not want anything to happen to you all.

Better to be safe and not have the storm bypass you than have the storm hit you and you get hurt.

whyGo to Top of Page

tampa1

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  1:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's hope Dean goes to Mexico and not up the Gulf. Generator is un-packed, filling up some gas cans, already have stored up on Gatoraid,water,batteries,tarps. Almost as ready as we can be and I guess my favorite show will be the Weather Channel.
GreyEagle and all south of me, be safe.

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  2:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

Let's hope Dean goes to Mexico and not up the Gulf. Generator is un-packed, filling up some gas cans, already have stored up on Gatoraid,water,batteries,tarps. Almost as ready as we can be and I guess my favorite show will be the Weather Channel.
GreyEagle and all south of me, be safe.

you be safe also.   i hate this. 

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  3:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lovegeorgia, I know what you mean. My parents retired to Florida when I was only 8, so I was stuck there for over 30 years.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy