New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 6 visitors.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Pet peeves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 8
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name some of yours!!

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nosy people who have no business in my business.

God makes the lightning Bikers make the thunder
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak .
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
people who talk on cell phones when they should be paying attention to their driving!!

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  1:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting old.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  1:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good one Cherry, but I don't like the alternative!

Go to Top of Page

oldman

USA
1849 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  2:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not enough time!

udvsanvhi-W-wesa desdvyeyohvsgaGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  3:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
everything that tastes good is not supposed to be good for you!

Go to Top of Page

WebErika

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  6:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit WebErika's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not enough time! :)

hypocracy

the cold

rude drivers

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  6:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cell phones ringing in church!!!

Go to Top of Page

taylor50-140

USA
2293 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coosa, you must have been thinking about me when you started this one! I just got in from work and need to "vent" a bit!

I KNOW that none of you on here would do these things, but just in case you know someone who does, please let them know what a problem it causes -

1) When you go into a restaurant, PLEASE wait just a moment and allow the hostess or server to seat you. If you seat yourself, you may be overlooked, then get mad when you feel you are being ignored.
2) Usually, seating is done in rotation so a particular server does not get overwhelmed with being seated back to back to back - when this happens, you will not be able to receive the service you expect because the server has 2 or 3 other tables wanting the same service at the same time you are. If you are seated in a particular area, unless you have a physical reason for needing a different seat, PLEASE just take the seat you were given. This will usually assure you will get the attention you deserve.
3) When the kitchen is extremely busy and falling behind, if the restaurant is short-handed, or if the kitchen does not prepare your food the way you ordered, remember that it IS NOT the servers fault.  A server can control a few things, but they can't control the kitchen. If you are unsatisfied with something that the server can not control, ask to speak with management rather than taking it out on the server by being rude to them or not tipping.
4) I realize that people are not made out of money, and often, a trip out to eat is a treat for a family, but please remember that the server is working for about $2.15 an hour plus tips. By law, regardless if you tip or not, the server HAS to claim a minimum of 8% of total sales - If your bill is $30.00, the server must claim at least $2.40 as part of their pay, therefore we are taxed on it. Please tip accordingly - we have bills too.
5) If you have small children, PLEASE do not allow them to run all over the restaurant. This is dangerous, both to them and to the servers who are having to dodge them while carrying hot food. Also, if the children drop food, crackers, ect on the floor, please clean up a bit after them. Servers can usually keep their tables clean, but having to sweep the floor between customers simply takes a lot of time. This time could be spent taking care of a new customer.
6) If the restaurant has a salad bar, please don't allow your small children to fix their own plates. Not only is it often messy, but it is unsanitary for the other customers. Small children  are breathing at the same level as the food going into your (or someone else's) salad. Would you want to eat a salad that a 6 year old with a cold just breathed all over? Same thing goes for any buffet. Also, if you are at the salad bar/buffet, have at least a little bit of consideration - don't make the salad bar look like a pig's slop trough when you are finished.

Ok, I guess I've vented enough! Thanks! I feel better!

Life is a Journey -
Enjoy The Trip!
www.dorothytaylor.blogspot.com or www.granmagertie.blogspot.comGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  09:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taylor, I was a waitress for many years, and people not tipping is my pet peeve too. Over 20 years ago, I worked for $2.01 an hour and now they are just up to $2.15 an hour. Servers have to live on their tips. I always leave 20% even when I got bad service, like last night! If you can't afford to tip correctly, you cannot afford to eat out.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  09:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Taylor!

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  10:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taylor,

I once worked as a hostess in a very nice restaurant. The biggest challenge was keeping the room "balanced", so the waiters and waitresses could handle everything and come out at the end of the night having as close to the same number of tables served as possible.

Thank goodness I was good at it. One slip up and you would have several angry waiters glaring at you! They kept count.

One waiter was much slower than the others and more easily flustered, so I had to develop a technique to start him off slow and give him more tables at the end of the night to catch up. Otherwise, he couldn't cope, yet he would be pissed if he didn't get as many as the others.

I spent a lot of time calming him down on the nights he worked.

Memories!

Wildflower

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me.
But deep down, I know that's not true.
Some of the smaller countries are neutral.
~Robert Orben

Edited by - Wildflower on 04/06/2007 10:12:26 AMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I always leave 20% even when I got bad service, like last night! If you can't afford to tip correctly, you cannot afford to eat out.

But you're not tipping correctly. The tip amount is supposed to be tied to the service received. It's not a "gimmee!", it's a "did you approve of my service?" If the answer is no, then the tip should be low (like that 8% that Scooter mentioned). If the answer is yes, then the tip should graduate accordingly.

To reward bad service is to say you want that type of service each time you go to that restaurant. A person that continually gets low tips while another coworker gets good tips will either cause them to reconsider how they can improve their service or cause them to find another position more in line with their capabilities (or a different type of restaurant).

Shadow

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George OrwellGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very true. I did leave $1 less than I usually do! (but still 20%)

Go to Top of Page

stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just can't stand people that leave a dollar or two on the table.  It got to where I would give it back to them.

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change".Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL! Star! I've never waitressed. But it looks like hard work...Well for those who do it right it is. And in a good dining establishment...a dollar or two is actually an insult I imagine!

I'm too blessed to be stressed!Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that's all some people have?

I tip well, so I'm not saying tipping poorly for good service is acceptable. However, ever get your bill and realize that you don't have much cash left over? I have. That does not mean, I purposely wanted to do something mean. Maybe that means my kids ordered something extra, that I did not account for it properly, and it was an error that I did not mean to make.

That is why I rarely carry cash. There's always extra on credit.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. Bugger and I went to the pancake place in Gatlinburg for breakfast. I forgot they only take cash. Our two breakfasts were $26.00 (YES THEY ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE) and I was so worried I would not have enough cash, luckily I had plenty, but I went in planning on using credit.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

honeybear

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow, I completely agree with you! I like to leave a nice tip most of the time. BUT there have been times when the service was so bad that I didn't want to leave anything, but did leave the minimum, 'cause I do know they have to pay taxes on it.
But I refuse to reward bad service or bad attitudes!
Hey, if I want a grumpy waitress, I can get that at home! LOL

"Live well, Love often, Laugh a whole bunch!"Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cherry, I don't carry cash either. And I have actually been between a rock and a hard place when it came to tipping often times. It wasn't that I didn't want too...It was I forgot to allow for the moneys. What I normally try to do is go pay with check and ask if I can write it for x amount over for the tip. They always agree.

I'm too blessed to be stressed!Go to Top of Page

stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

With me waitressing for years and years and having to survive on tips to raise my child when I was a single mother I tip well.  If she was a bad waitress she will still get her 20% because we did end up getting our drinks and our food.  I usually do 2 dollars a head at a nice restraunt espically with the kids and if it's a buffet they get 1 dollar per head. 

What get's me is many people punish the waitress if it takes a long time for the food to get out or if the food is not right,  that is not the waitresses problem that's the cooks but the waitress's get the blame on that with their tip.

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change".Go to Top of Page

stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  1:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S.  I'm talking about a family of seven up there!

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  1:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my hubby will drive any waitress nuts. At home he takes care of everyone's needs, he likes to, so when he goes out, I guess he makes up for it.

Anything he orders off the menu he alters. I've seen him send a rare steak back and say, "Can you put it on the grill another 30 seconds?". I about boil with steam, he would bother someone about 30 seconds.

He will go through 3-4 drinks, he always does this, yet at home he's never done that. IRK!!!!

Then when the food comes, he'll need this and that, instead of ordering it with the order.

Now I love hubby, but I have no idea why he does this when we go out, but I'm guessing if looks could kill, he will learn pretty quickly to stop this behavior. Because I've got the look down!!!

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  1:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My worst thing is when they hold that coffee cup up and ding the spoon against it!!! OH MY that's when I knew I didn't have the patience for it anymore because I really wanted to tell them where to put that cup and it got to where if they were rude I would tell them to take a number and stand in line LOL.  I got out of it when it got to that point.

But I did very well as a waitress I would ALWAYS come home with at least 100-200 dollars in tips a day (working at restraunts around here).

coosa creek

USA
39310 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dislike cell phones in restaurants. My husband always leaves his at home.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 8 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy