New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Gardening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 6
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill be moving mine.. thanks! :) I was hoping there would be enough light there at my walk way.. however.. I dont think that there is..

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked in the flower beds until 9:30 last night. Did some watering and tying up my climbers and some weeding.

Hubby cut's grass and blows it into the flower beds and I have to scratch it out. Put in my request for some mulch last night and just got a blank stare. That's what is good about him being a timber scaler and buyer, lifetime mulch supply.

Got to get another base of homemade fertilizer out before we mulch. I think the extended winter weather took some of the nutrients out.

I also have to get a kid's play rake from the store, make's it easier to rake and clean between flowers and plants without snagging on something. PLus you can get down there close adn have more control over teh kid size rake then a full size rake.

Bleeding Hearts have come back. The green leaves are big as ever but the flowers are sparse.

The Hosta's have gone into overdrive and my Daylilies have little buds on them.

I am trying to figure out the best place to plant some herb seeds I have adn dug up all of the Pennyroyal growing on the bank, looked too much like weeds.

I love these long days.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  7:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this what you are looking for, Cherry?

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
If you are not part of the problem and not part of the solution, you have no business being part of the conversation (gossip)!Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  7:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I just found this and saw your post:

Bugger and I planted a blue flower plant he wanted in the yard, the other day we planted hummingbird vines near our water spouts. We also planted a cherry bush and today we potted a citronella plant, which will keep flies away, we put it in a pot, so we can move it wherever we are hanging out in the yard, it radiates 10' of fumes to keep flies and mosquitos away (so I hear?).

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  1:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

OK,

I have 2 red strawberries on my strawberry plants and lot's more green ones.

I had a Freesia bloom and it is dark pink & yellow. It had fallen over and I just happened to see a flash of color in the flower bed and stood it up.

Clematis are doing great.

I also planted zucchini this year.

Found this on the Organic Gardening web site

By Willi Evans Galloway

Related Articles
Tomatoes
Tomato Growing Tips
Prevent Tomato Diseases
Disease Resistant Tomatoes
Products
Turbo-Tomato Mulch
Vegetable Gardener's Bible
Discussions
New Gardeners
If you want to grow record-breaking big tomatoes, follow the lead of Gordon Graham. He holds the Guinness World Records title for the heaviest tomatoa 7-pound 12-ounce whopper grown back in 1986. This winning tomato came from a 'Delicious' vine, so that's obviously a variety to keep in mind. But there are lots of others that are up to the challenge.

Most huge tomato varieties are indeterminate (plants that grow and fruit all season) slicer or beefsteak types. 'Giant Belgium' produces sweet fruits that average 2 pounds. 'Hillbilly' is an heirloom beefsteak type with pink-and-yellow bicolored fruits that weigh in at 1 to 2 pounds. 'Big Zac' is a hybrid of two heirlooms, and it regularly produces 4-to-6-pound fruits! Then there are the tomatoes that I like to call the "big beefies" ('Beefsteak', 'Italian Giant Beefsteak', 'Watermelon Beefsteak', and 'Beefmaster'), which are all well known for producing heavy fruits. Check out Tomato Growers Supply Company (888-478-7333; www.tomatogrowers.com) and Totally Tomatoes (803-663-0016; www.totallytomato.com) for more ideas.

It's a lot of work to coax your tomatoes into really packing on the pounds. First of all, you'll need to provide the best basic care: full sun, fluffy soil with plenty of organic matter, lots of space between plants, an inch of water per week, and support (stakes or cages). Get the plants into the ground early and protect them with Wall-O-Waters or cloches. Hold off on mulching until the ground warms up and the plants begin to flower. Fertilize every two weeks with a dilute fish emulsion fertilizer (but be careful not to provide too much nitrogen, or you'll get a lot of foliage and few fruits).

Once the plants begin to grow, the real training begins. Allow only one stem to develop, and pluck off suckers (the sprouts that form between branches and the main stem) when they are very young. Remove all but two or three fruits from each plant. It's best to eliminate developing fruits at the top of the vine and leave older fruits at the bottom. Prune off tomatoes that develop farthest from the stem and leave one fruit per cluster. Prevent branches from breaking by supporting the tomatoes with pantyhose slings when they start to get really big. And wish for some good luck. You're going to need it if you want a shot at knocking down that record.

Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  11:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I can search for this answer on the web but since y'all know everything I wanted to ask yuns first. :) How might I go about stoppin the rabbits from eatin my Hostas?? Grrrr. Someone mentioned sprinklin pepper on em. ?? Thanks for your advice/help.

~If you can't stand behind our troops...stand in front of 'em!~Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  1:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

cayenne pepper will irritate their noses

Overworked & UndermedicatedGo to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  2:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank u!

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  6:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A well placed .22 round will eliminate the problem and provide some meat on the table to boot!

GrayEagle
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  09:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

fried critters and gravy are not on my WW plan.

Overworked & UndermedicatedGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  11:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh, but they might be in Jawja's meal plan!

GrayEagle
Welfare is for those to truly need it. Not the freeloaders who abuse it.Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  2:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At lunch I saw someone selling huge pink crepe myrtle's, is it too late to plant these? Is now an okay time to plant those? Any advise, I'd like to get one of those.

Cherry Blossom

S,,M,,I,,L,,E

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  10:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess no one knows about that, so that gives me a good reason to be frugal and not buy one.

Cherry Blossom

S,,M,,I,,L,,E

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 6 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy