New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 5 visitors.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Gardening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 6
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i have always planted them in the yard.  but, not sure about up there.  Honeybee will know,

she knows everything about gardening. 

and crochet.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  3:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pull the dead blooms and as soon as the weather warms up, split them and plant them in your flower bed. They should do good up here. My Stargazers do excellent.

"I asked God, she's Pro-Choice"Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have just gotten bck in from dead heading my flowers and leaves from my Hostas. The Bleeding Hearts made me sad and I told myself that is was just pride I guess. The tiny Morning Glory leaves are all dead and my Daylilies and Irises have laid over. The Wisteria has wilted and surprisingly a lot of my mint has bit the dust. Dead flowers are gloomy and depressing.

So I went out to take care of everything and on the bright side, my Lily of the Valleys have pushed through and are going to do just fine. My Clematis has buds, yeah!. The blooms on the Thrift survived, my May Apple mountain flower is still beautiful, the Stargazer Lily leaves and stems made it and a host of other plants and flowers.

So I watered and petted them all and will get some fertilizer on them to give them a boost.

While cutting away the dead Bleeding Hearts I found new growth that has survived, so hopefully they will be back up and covering the fence again.

God is Good.

Faith, Hope & Love, but the greatest of these is love.Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  5:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Honeybee,

that is sad.  all those beautiful plants.  all that hard work. 

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  09:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ok, it just gives me more seeds to round up so that I can plant them in my free time.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  09:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hubby got me a bird bath for my garden, for my birthday, it's very nice.

I like yard art.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you enjoy watching little birdies.    happy birthday

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  08:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love yard art too.

Hope you get lot's of visitors to your bird bath.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, my Bleeding Hearts actually have 5 little hearts on one stem.

YEA!!!!!!!!!

"Woman must not accept; she must challenge. She must not be awed by that which has been built up around her; she must reverence that woman in her which struggles for expression." M. SangerGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummm not sure what happened, but it did fabulous for a year and a half, but I think my front door tree has died????? It was one of those that look like red, baby bottle cleaners on it.

Really pretty and it looks dead as can be, what would have killed it, it's really a big, nice tree.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Cherry, that description confuses me, find a picture and post it so I can see what it is.

"Woman must not accept; she must challenge. She must not be awed by that which has been built up around her; she must reverence that woman in her which struggles for expression." M. SangerGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I will.

P.S. Hubby just called and said the gorgeous humminbird feeder we got from Dollywood, has not attracted one humminbird, they love our garage instead, yet today it is swarming with bees.

The bees are all over it, he can't get to it to take it away.

Bummer!

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.floridagardener.com/pom/callistemon.htm

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bees are attracted to the sweet liquid that is in the feeder, there is not a thing you can do about it.

I have had to take all of mine hummingbird feeders down because of that.

Plus the bees are starving because there is very little for them to eat since we had the late snows.

Tell him to take it down tonight after dark, it will probably be over half empty by then.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice "bottle brush" tree in the picture.I would recommend doing a little more studying up on it and then cut it way back and move it out into the sunlight and start watering and fertilizing it.

After the snows were over in April, I went out in the yard and cut back most everything to the ground, that died. Amazingly they have all come back and I believe I will have some Lily of the Valley's this year.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  11:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been there for years, it gets sun.

How much should I cut back? It's taller than me and I don't know anything.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how much you should cut back "technically" you might want to research that. If it were mine I would cut it back to either the inside green part of each limb. If it was pretty well dead all over I would cut it back to the main trunk.

BUT THAT IS ME!!! I HAVE NO CERTIFIED TRAINING!!!

We have 3 hedgerow bushes that have pretty well died fron the snows and they will be trimmed back to the green leaves, if no green is there when I start then I will cut all the limbs off to the trunks.

I will take pictures before I start and after and then monitor how it does through the year.

I cut my dead Hosta leaves off and they are just as big as ever.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Putting this in the garden topic.

Stopped at the fruit/veggie stand at lunch time and got some cucumbers, vidalia onions and red tomatoes for a salad with vinegar & seasoning. Real good when soaked and refridgerated.

Picked up some green tomatoes for frying, some yellow corn on the cob for boiling and 2 apples for snack.

All that put's me in the mood to do some canning.

Thinking about making a batch of green tomato salsa or chow-chow.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  10:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please post the tomatoe, onion and cucumber receipe? We get that at Dillards and we just love it, but don't know what to add to it.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  11:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a "White House Vinegar" recipe book that I use and then add my own stuff.

TOMATO - CUCUMBER ONION SALAD

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. minced parsley
1 med. cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
2 med. tomatoes, sliced
1 lg. onion, sliced and separated into rings

Combine first 6 ingredients in a jar; shake well. Combine vegetables in a serving bowl. Pour marinade over vegetables; refrigerate 2 hours before serving.

I leave out the sugar and parsley. I occasionally use a little seasoning salt. Just experiment but it's really good served cold.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am not going to call any names, but I am mad at DOC!!!!

She has 3 of the prettiees light purple irises standing in her front yard. Straight and tall, and if you grow irises then you know what I mean.

I am mad, cause mine haven't bloomed yet.

Guess I will have to go on midnight recon and see what she is sneaking on them to make them grow.

Miss-Behavin

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  4:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had 2 bearded iris planted  2 years & it hasn't bloomed yet, whats wrong? Plant is so green & healthy.

Go to Top of Page

oldman

USA
1849 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  7:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

I have had 2 bearded iris planted  2 years & it hasn't bloomed yet, whats wrong? Plant is so green & healthy.

It may need a friend near by,Some plants do better with another of the same plant? Serious........

udvsanvhi-W-wesa desdvyeyohvsgaGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  8:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I am not going to call any names, but I am mad at DOC!!!!

She has 3 of the prettiees light purple irises standing in her front yard. Straight and tall, and if you grow irises then you know what I mean.

I am mad, cause mine haven't bloomed yet.

Guess I will have to go on midnight recon and see what she is sneaking on them to make them grow.

"Woman must not accept; she must challenge. She must not be awed by that which has been built up around her; she must reverence that woman in her which struggles for expression." M. Sanger

Please do not be mad.. If you would like some iris, you can email me. :)

however, my other plants arent doing so well.. it is just soo dry. :(

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  9:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend who gave me the Daylilies said they their bulbs are called rhizomes and they need to be exposed to light, not buried like bulbs. The light is what "stimulates" them to grown.

My irises and gladiolas bloom every other year. I hope to get my road bank covered in Daylilies and so far they are multiplying like rabbits.

Topic is 6 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy