New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Gardening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 6
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  3:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Joy and Love, that the good thing about living in the mountains, all of our water runs downhill.

I hate the thought of anyone having to endure that kind of weather, never knowing from one day to the next if you are going to have a roof or a house. Ya'll need to get here quick.

DOC said I rock
Cool beans

3 things to remember if you get caught "Don't complain, don't explain, and for sure, don't ever confess!"Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have found out that the building that Gray works in allows the people working there to use it as an evacuation center AND our pets are allowed in there as well as long as they are in cages. Angel has a carrier but we are looking around for a cage for Sadler. One of the reasons that I would never evacuate was because the shelters don't allow pets and I would never leave them at home. Fortunately we haven't had a hurricane strong enough where we had to evacuate. I'll be SO GLAD to get out of here and up to the mountains where we don't have to worry about hurricanes and VERY HIGH hurricane insurance rates!!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
joy,
that is really wonderful that you have a safe place to go with your pets. we no longer have our sweet dog, but if she were still here,
i would not think of leaving her alone in a storm.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was surprised to count and see that I have 5 separate bleeding heart bushes this year. Evidently they are not so dormant in the winter, they are busy doing something. I was a little aggravated to find one of the lower limbs broken, dang cat's. I am going this week and invest in some netting to put around the beds. Because their limbs are succulents they don't heal well, I just propped it up and hope for the best.

I have 4 Hosta's that have finally pushed through and it is taking all I have, not to want to dig a little to wake the others up.

I have a few morning glories that have pushed through and my Clematis are making their yearly trip up to the top of the shed.

The green shoots of my mini Irises just seemed to have jumped up over night and I am going to have pleanty of mint.

My transplanted mountain flower open it's leaves this weekend and I am anxious to see it.

3 things to remember if you get caught "Don't complain, don't explain, and for sure, don't ever confess!"Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honeybee,
your yard sounds like a spring wonderland. i bet it is beautiful.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope when you come up we might can visit and you can take a gander at it.

It not the Biltmore gardens, but I am proud of it.

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would love to do that.
will let you know when!!

Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your garden sounds wonderful, HoneyBee! I would love to see it also and maybe get some pointers at what grows well in Blairsville. I have been down here for so long that I have almost forgotten some of the plants and flowers that grow well there. Some things just don't grow well here because of the hot summers and all of the humidity! Down here, Impatients grow in the winter.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love & Joy you are both welcome to come visit and sit a spell.

Guess I will have to start putting back seeds for both of you this fall so you can have something for your flower beds when you get here.

Will probably split off some daylilies for you as a
"WELCOME to Blairsville, FINALLY" gift.

We had a really hot day yesterday and the newspeople announced we have a drought. I am not complaining cause it felt really good to get out. However, it we don't get rain soon it will affect the Sourwood trees and it will be a bad year for Sourwood honey, the most popular for this area.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we planted a burning bush today and another pink wheeping cherry blossom.

We raked the yard and watered the plants, trimmed the hedges. It was a great day in the yard!

Cherry Blossom

May neighbours respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  1:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EWW EWW YALL! I saw on the back of the Georgia magazine that the EMC puts out where you can order rose of sharons for like 6 for 3 bucks and some change.. and wow at the deals.. I was shocked because I had been looking at websites and thought.. wow.. I have one, Ill just root.lol! But the prices are awesome for the plants! Have any of you ordered from those kinda catalog places?

Honeybee.. my hostas are doing the same thing.. and I would love to see your plants too sometime. :)

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  1:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness, if everybody wants to see them, I may have to charge admission and tour fees :)

DOC come by anytime and look around.

Cherry I am jealous, cause I am inside working and you are outside working. Just wait, I am off the week after Easter and I can work on my farmer's tan.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.almanac.com/

Cool site.

Only 85 days until summer.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.almanac.com/garden/

The garden page is AWESOME! with information

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  9:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honeybee,
tha is a great site. you sure know how to pick 'em'.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its gotten cold tonite.. chilly.. I think most of the bulbs Ive planted and separated will be fine.. I hope so anyhow.

Thanks Honeybee for the site link..

The place that is advertising on the back of the GEORGIA MAGAZINE for the Rose of Sharons so cheap and more affordable plants and such is www . the house of wesley . com . just incase anyone wanted to look..

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doc,
thanks for posting that site.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) I hope you enjoy it Lovely!

Anne Frank said,
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Bleeding Hearts are really growing now and several more Hosta's have pushed through. My Lily of the Valley isn't doing anything at all. I have 1 pink Tulip, My treasured Hyacinth has finally finished it's blooming season and evidently my Stargazer Lilies weren't very dormant this winter cause instead of a one bulb plant coming through there are 3 YEA!!!

Morning Glories plants have peeped through and are about a 1/2 inch high. It's hard to believe that in several months they will cover the side of my shed and my front fence, they look so small.

Volunteers don't get paid, not because they're worthless, but because they're priceless.Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I got me a brand new, red sprayer for my water hose from the Dollar Store. I didn't know how bad my other one was until I put the new one on.

It don't take much to please me.

Volunteers don't get paid, not because they're worthless, but because they're priceless.Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My one dogwood and two cherry blossoms are blooming and I am so pleased.

One redbud is budding, the other is not?

One dogwood is not flowering yet.

Hope they all do well, it's a thrill to have floral trees in my yard. I talked about it all my life and always had a nice yard, but never floral trees.

I'm loving it.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you all are making me green with envy
i have a mango tree, does that count?????

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dogwoods are just beautiful, no matter what. They are a very simple flowering tree with clean lines, to me they look like paintings.

I noticed as I drove the backroad home yesterday that the Dogwoods on the left side of the road were still kind of yellow but the ones on the right side of the road were in bloom and snow white. Isn't amazing what sunlight can do.

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  08:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The rain has really helped. My Bleeding Hearts are growing like crazy and I have Hosta's coming up everywhere. That's what happens when you get old, you forget where you plant things and when they pop up it's like a big surprise.

Got the weeds out of the front garden, I can grow weeds really good. Got the fence staked up to keep the kitties out. My lavender is not looking too good, but, oh well.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  09:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the purple trees that are blooming now? I've got no idea. We want to just get one for our yard.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 6 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy