New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 7 visitors.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Gardening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 6
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  9:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm.. my cannas havent bloomed yet.. I am sorry. They didnt bloom last year until about July?.. however, my day/easter lilys are starting to blossom and most of them came from the church that hunnys sister and husband did demolition work for so I cant help but be proud of those babies :).. umm.. hmm.. My candy corn plants havent started and Im sorry I totally worded that wrong.. last year it was late summer before they started to bloom.. they sorta look like cats tale but are colored like candy corn? I honestly do not know the correct name for them.. I dont mind sharing what I have ;).

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to home depot after Easter one year and got me a pot that had 5 dead flowers, but live stalks, LESS THAN HALF PRICE, took those jokers home, planted then and they come back every year. I would much rather have a flower given to me with a bulb than cut flowers becuase you can plant them adn enjoy them year after year.

I like the name candy corn for them it suits them just perfect.

3 things to remember if you get caught "Don't complain, don't explain, and for sure, don't ever confess!"Go to Top of Page

stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like I'm going to have to plant something besides grass in my yard to keep up with ya'll! LOL

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change".Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you have grass Star. We don't have any.

Why can't I get a little ahead instead of a bigger behind?Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee & Doc GARDEN DIVA'S

I still have strawberry plants to go into a pot and some Coneflower seeds to get into the ground.

Did get all of my Morning Gloris planted.

Bleeding hearts are coming up quickly, a few mushrooms on my ****ake log and some pansies have opened up. One little tiny flower in my bed of dirt.

3 things to remember if you get caught "Don't complain, don't explain, and for sure, don't ever confess!"Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garden Divas.. love it! :) I could play in the dirt with plants all day long. :) That is if I am active for it. lol! AMEN TO THE BULBS! I would too..

Honeybee, we rooted rhodis one year and forsythias.. and they done very well too. We gave a bunch away and kept some.. I just wished I knew all these names for them like you.. I can learn..

My big adventure is rooting from my magnolia tree.. I would love to have several magnolias.

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And last year when KFC redone their landscaping, hunny stopped in for me to see if they were gonna reuse any of the shrubs.. well they gave us all we wanted of those boogers and then this year was the church.. I hate to see people throw out good plants just because they want a different look.. so I try to keep my eyes open and ears for those things.. :)

Anne Frank said,
Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had several cherry blossom trees in our yard in Virginia and they were so beautiful in the spring. We had forsythia and azalias and I really miss all of that. Looking forward to having them again. We have lots of dogwood trees on our property and are trying hard to make sure they all can be saved when the house is built.

I asked this question someplace else and never got an answer but does anyone know if camelias will grow in Blairsville? I remember growing up with several bushes in our yard in Brunswick and just love them. It is too hot in south Florida to grow them.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My azalias arent doing so swell here.. last year a few did.. and mom, I was no help with that question because I havent personally grown any camelias nor known of my mawmaw doing so..

I would love to have some cherry blossom trees.. Cherry is being stingy with them.lol!

I would also love to have a weeping willow tree.. I love those too..

Anne Frank said,
Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
My big adventure is rooting from my magnolia tree.. I would love to have several magnolias.
If you can spare them, would you try to root one or two for us!

Not for this year, but maybe for next....[[[[[HUGS]]]]

GrayEagle
<:))))<><
If you are not part of the problem and not part of the solution, you have no business being part of the conversation (gossip)!Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  1:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Azaleas are acid loving plant so you need to put some plant acid around them. I save my coffee grounds and soak them in water and then dump them on the azaleas and they do really ggod.

I believe Camillas would do good here, I think they are a member of the Hybiscus family just like the Rose of Sharon and those do good.

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also love weeping willows. will they grow there?

It is way too hot here to grow different types of flowers and trees.
That will be so pleasant to see spring blooms and flowering trees once again.

is there a garden club in B'ville?

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  4:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes there is.....an active one to boot! From the Blairsville-Union Chamber of Commerce site:

Blairsville Garden Club
3473 Thousand Oaks
Blairsville, GA 30512
Stephanie Gray, President
(706) 745-3714
stephg@alltel.net

Shadow

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George OrwellGo to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  4:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shadow,
hey, thanks. i will need all of the help i can get.Go to Top of Page
stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  8:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just going to have to quit coming into this topic all those names sound like foreign language to me. I do know what a daisy is though!! LOL
Puddin you and me can get together and grow some grass (the yard stuff guys)ROTF!!!

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change".Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3620 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I asked this question someplace else and never got an answer but does anyone know if camelias will grow in Blairsville?

Joy, I asked Hubby's Mom about those yesterday..they will grow here. She has a couple or so in the backyard..and said that her Mama has several of them.
Tell Gray that I also asked her about the broccoli and cauliflower..she said that she had never had luck with either of them, but that doesn't mean that they won't grow here. I told her if she couldn't grow something, then apparently it wouldn't grow here...the woman definitely has a green thumb!!

"I use to have a handle on life, but it broke off.."
~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  8:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Topey!

GrayEagle
If you are not part of the problem and not part of the solution, you have no business being part of the conversation (gossip)!

Edited by - GrayEagle on 03/21/2007 8:58:17 PMGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  09:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can just see the wheels turning in Gray's head now.

He has his little paper out with grids on it and his ruler drawing lines "OK the house goes here and the garage goes there, where am I going to fit my garden in, hhmmm. And just how many flowers can we fit against the house and don't forget about fruit trees."

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can just see the wheels turning in Gray's head now.

He has his little paper out with grids on it and his ruler drawing lines "OK the house goes here and the garage goes there, where am I going to fit my garden in, hhmmm. And just how many flowers can we fit against the house and don't forget about fruit trees."

3 things to remember if you get caught "Don't complain, don't explain, and for sure, don't ever confess!"

GrayEagle
If you are not part of the problem and not part of the solution, you have no business being part of the conversation (gossip)!Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, your not too far off on that one HoneyBee! We don't have the grids marked off but we're aready deciding on where things will go. I have been working on a binder for quite a while with paint chips, pictures of lighting fixtures, appliances, etc. We planted two small azalia bushes a couple of years ago but they haven't done much (we're not there to water them) and Gray is constantly looking up different things (on the internet for information) that we are thinking about for the house. We're planning on building the garage/apartment first so we can come up anytime we want to instead of having to rely on his sister for lodging. We just wish the time would go by quicker so we can move up sooner!

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to add to your binder some raised beds, georgia red clay is good but most all of my flower beds are raised with black dirt in them, the plants seem to do better.

The ones that are planted in the ground, not beds, do ok if you have a good area, the not so good ground, I just plant hardy plants that will grow no matter where you plant them.

A garage apartment is a better idea then staying with someone, you can come and go as you please and you don't have to worry if there is room.

Plus you can walk around in your bloomers if you have your own place.

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  11:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joy,
this a wonderful that you can do that. i wish we could do that as well. these cabin prices are killing me

i wish i knew what we had on our property as far as trees and things go. every thing was brown, cold and drizzly when we decided on it.
i do think there may a dogwood or two. guess we will find out in april.

i am with you. we wish we could get there and get settled also.

soon enough hurricane season will startGo to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joy,
soon enough hurricane season will start

Don't remind me! The forecasters say that this is going to be a very active hurricane season. There are still people down here with blue tarps on their roofs (mostly from insurance problems) from Hurricane Wilma in 2005!

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know. i still see blue tarps. sad

that is why i want to spend the summer up in B'ville. can't handle another Wilma while hiding in the safe room and having to run out of safe room because the roof was starting to peel off. Never again.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  2:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can not type much today.. I over did it the last few days.. sigh.

:) Dad, you know I will.. {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Honeybee.. I thank you for that helpful tip.. and Im gonna try that coffee grounds trick.. Yay! I do hope to save them babies.
:) You rock!

Lovely, yes mam,.. Weeping willows will grow here :).

Anne Frank said,
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 6 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy