New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Gardening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 6
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone garden? What time of the year do the Dogwoods bloom?
thanks
daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I garden a bit with plants.. the dogwoods around April and May. :)

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 12/18/2006 5:02:57 PMGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  4:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a BROWN thumb!

I've noticed that some things are starting to bud & shouldn't be right now.

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  4:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather is quite unusuall too..

Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda have a brown thumb too. I don't want it!

I have killed many a flower and plant. Right now I have a plant that is in a bowl with rocks and marbles in the bottom with water in the bowl and and no dirt. Maybe it will live.

Why can't I get a little ahead instead of a bigger behind?Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  4:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing grows in the dungeon. Doesnt matter what color the thumb...nothing grows. Well mold and mildew does but nothing worth a flip or pretty like flowers.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You crack me up talkin about your dungeon! I don't know near as what I should about gardenin. I need to get into it. Flower and vegetable gardens!! Maybe I can learn somethin on this thread!?

~Yesterday's history, Tomorrow's a mystery, Today's a gift (that's why it's called the present). :)~Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  5:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I have been doing some research online about plants that deer do not like to eat so that i will have somewhat of an idea what not to plant when i finally get up there. Thanks for the info on dogwoods. i have never seen them and have been told they are quite pretty when in bloom. we will plan a trip up around that time.
you all have been having some really nice weather it seems. wish i was there. our a/c is still running. i hate seeing the power bill each month. can't wait to meet you allGo to Top of Page
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  6:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you have to do is pee on the plants & the deer will stay away!

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  7:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, so will the neighborsGo to Top of Page
taylor50-140

USA
2293 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  8:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lovegeorgia, not only will the urine thing work, but so will taking the hair out of your hairbrush/comb, or the hair from a haircut and scattering it around your garden plot. My borther gets hair from a local barber and uses that every year. No deer problem!

Life is a Journey -
Enjoy The Trip!
www.dorothytaylor.blogspot.com or www.granmagertie.blogspot.comGo to Top of Page

Im4Life

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Im4Life's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LoveGA:

It was a great time for tomatos in 2006. If you don't get Mother Earth News at www.MotherEarthNews.com, try to find a December/January 2007 at the news stand. Some of the plants grow long into the winter. There is and article on page 68 called "Long Live Leeks". Flavorful, versitle and extra cold-hardy, this delicious vegetable belongs in every garden. Page 73 Grow and Sell Heirloom Tomatoes. It talks about the "Tomato Lady" and her uniques bootstrap business of selling seedlings on her front porch.

I'm a greens sort of guy myself and I still have a garden during the cold months. I am still picking winter lettice and a variety of turnip greens...not everybody likes greens but to my wife and I think turnip greens are the food of the gods. I haven't experimented with it myself, but you can make a simple greenhouse with plastic and have greens almost until spring time. Anyway if you don't eat greens, they make a good ground cover.

When you move here don't forget to go by the pine chip place on the highway to Youngharris and get your mushroom compost. Your can grow mighty fine tomatos in that stuff. I have some ideas on growing tomatos at www.ki4dzy.nottely.net check it out. You will find my links to tomatons down the page at

The Garden Spot

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"

Dirty Links: Now that I got your attention, check out some of the Garden Links below.

Growing Tomatos

Inverted Indoor Gardening

Upside down Tomato Planter

More Upside down Tomatoes

All we have is what we do.Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  09:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All you have to do is pee on the plants & the deer will stay away!

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

So maybe that's why my husband does that?

I've planted my dogwoods and cherry blossoms and I can't wait to see them bloom!!! I hope they are alive, they look so little with no leaves and I'm the worst with plants and trees. I'm hoping I will be watching them bloom for years to come.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  12:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the info. Having 4 seasons will be so wonderful.
It is way too hot here to grow a lot of the flowers that I like.
You all must really enjoy seeing things bloom out in the spring.

And forget about decent tomatoes here. Can't wait to grow them when we get up there.

thanks again.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  11:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You want to head up in April - that's when the Dogwoods first bloom. Mid-April is good.

I learned that Dogwoods are supposed to naturally grow in the understory of a forest, because they have a symbiotic relationship with other trees. They are not supposed to do well if transplanted.

However, that makes me wonder about the Dogwoods that are planted all alone in yards and still seem to do well. Maybe they are cultivated that way, whereas the ones in the forest are wild?

Wildflower

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me.
But deep down, I know that's not true.
Some of the smaller countries are neutral.
~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  10:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a vast difference between the wild dogwoods you see in the forests and the ones that have been cultivated to grow as you see them in yards as ornamental trees. They cannot be transplanted (I know from experience as I have killed a few).

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  10:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ones in my yard were left when the trees were cut away from the area. They are beautiful and it just kills me when one has to be cut down because it died.

The past couple of days have had us outside working with the honeybees and putting me in the mood for spring.

My hyacinth is doing it's best, not to bloom, but it is hard.
I look forward to my bleeding hearts coming up this year. They seem to have taken over my small flower bed. I have Clematis and Morning Glories during growing season and love climbing plants.

Lilred bought a small sinflower in a paper cup and had got it sprouted and ready for spring. She has decide we can grow it in the house until it warms up.

Anyone on her interested in having a seed swap?
I didn't harvest much this year, because I had a difficult time last year getting rid of so many. But I have some to share.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."
A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

Im4Life

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  2:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Im4Life's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HB

quote:
Anyone on her interested in having a seed swap?
I didn't harvest much this year, because I had a difficult time last year getting rid of so many. But I have some to share.

Heirloom Tomatos

Does anyone grow heirloom tomatos? Do you have a good source for heirloom seeds?

'There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.' - Ken Olson, 1977, Digital Equipment CorporationGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  7:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but I don't have any. You can probably find them in the Market Bulletin. It's free for Georgia residents and list's everything for sale having to do with agriculture.

You read it online or sign up for a free subscription. I have ordered seeds from someone advertised in it before adn they were great. Luffa seeds.

Here is the link
http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_39654299_40311428,00.html

Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  9:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a list of What's Blooming In Your Birthmonth as listed in the Georia Living magazine. All of these grow well in Georgia.

January--narcissus
February--forsythia
March--azalea
April--iris
May--rose
June--hydrangea
July--crepe myrtle
August--phlox
September--canna
October--daylily
November--chrysanthemum
December--camellia

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  5:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, we are trying to decide if we should come up in the 3rd week of april or first week in May. i do not want to miss the spring scenery the way we missed the fall scenery by 2 weeks.
i know there is no way to predict for sure, but i am thinking if we try the last week in April we should be ok. i hope

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been bionic again.. :( but :) too. Got some of my gardens cleaned up and transplated some of my what I call "candy corn" plants, Cannas.. the plants I transplanted last week are already saying thank you with a few perdy blooms starting to show thru.
I was worried because of the cool snap we have had but them babys are all just fine. :)

Anne Frank said,
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." I agree!
Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  06:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cherry Blossoms are a blooming and look so pretty too. The Cherry Blossom Festival is going on in our state beginning in March. Here's a couple of links to them.

http://www.conyerscherryblossom.com/

http://www.cherryblossom.com/

God makes the lightning Bikers make the thunder
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak or see them post.
Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  06:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Local Dogwood Festivals in our state in April as well.

http://www.dogwood.org/

God makes the lightning Bikers make the thunder
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak or see them post.
Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  2:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pcm,
those links are great. thanks for posting.
Cherry blossoms are so lovely. when we lived in Japan, that was a huge deal there. Cherry blossom festivals everywhere. absolutely georgeous

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  3:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOC are you sure they are Canna's? Did you start them in a green house?
They usually don't bloom until warmer weather get's here. Mine are barely through the ground and usually head high when they bloom.

Never heard them referred to as candy corn but it suits them perfectly.

3 things to remember if you get caught "Don't complain, don't explain, and for sure, don't ever confess!"Go to Top of Page

Topic is 6 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy