New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 9 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does recommend or endorse any business or professions discussed by our members. You should consider the information provided as advice alone and consult as many sources as you can when choosing a business or person to provide a service.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Callin All Yarn Addicts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 5
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  09:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Annie's Attic Pattern for the day

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."
A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  2:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a reminder that the 15% off YARN SALE is still in progress At MOUNTAIN YARN!!! We have recently received some great reproduction antique needle threaders, point protectors and yarn cutters. Donít forget that we offer gift certificates, needlework baskets and a great selection of books for the knitter, crocheter and for those who donít understand our passion for knitting and crocheting.

Our Holiday hours will be Monday December 18thĖ Thursday December 21st and Friday December 22nd we will close at 4:00 P.M. and reopen on Wednesday, December 27th.

The Mountain Yarn Class Schedule will be out very soon and you will be happy to know that the sale continues until December 30th!!

MOUNTAIN YARN

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."
A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  12:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just shipped by UPS, 17 'boggins to Grady Volunteer Services for the homeless babies they have there.

Donated a crocheted triangle shawl to the MMC Nursing Home for a resident.

And a prayer shawl to a friend in Rossville.

I feel real good, all over.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was so awesome of you Honeybee. I feel good too now.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  3:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

pamac1

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  09:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also a crochet hound, but would love to learn to knit. Does it cost much to take knitting classes at Mountain Yarn? I stopped in there one time to look around and to try to replace a hook I lost, but they didn't have the size I needed. They do have some beautiful yarns.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  10:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what the charges are, but I think they are open now and you can pick up a sheet or she will e-mail it to you.

A very nice lady and the store is in a good location.

I love yarns and material.

She has some beautiful yarns. I really need to learn to knit, it doesn't use as much yarn as crocheting and you can use the really fancy threads and ribbons.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

pamac1

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped in at Mountain Yarn this afternoon. She has knitting classes starting all the time. It is $45 for a month of classes, one day a week. There are morning, afternoon and evening classes. I can't start classes right now but will keep it in mind for later on.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know pamac, at Wally world they have a book with lot's of pictures and easy instructions called "Teach Me To Knit for Kids". I got the kid crochet one and learned the basics from it and the rest from the internet.

If you know anyone who knits I am sure they would be glad to teach you the basics.

Continuing education classes are fun and I realize the teachers have to make money but I really couldn't afford that.

I have a friend who knits and she offers to teach me but I don't think I have any more room in my brain right now.

Several of the churches have ladies who get together and knit.

I work during the day and it's hard for me to participate in anything like that but maybe we should work on something together.

If not maybe we could work with some kids and teach them to crochet.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

pamac1

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  7:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had picked up one of those teach yourself kits a while back. Last night I picked it up again and was able to muddle my way through the first part. I guess if I keep it up, I will be able to teach myself. I agree that the instructors need to make money, too, but I really didn't think I should put out $45 for the classes at this point. I have so many crochet projects in the works right now, I really need to finish them up! My sister says I have ADD when it comes to craft projects; get them 3/4 of the way done and get tired of them so I move on to something else.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know exactly what you mean, I have UFO's. Unfinshed Objects.

Keep trying adn just remember, you didn't learn how to crochet in one day.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  10:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to tell you, I tried to teach myself to knit several times. Can't tell you how many books I bought and I would muddle through. Then, I signed up for the beginners class at Mountain Yarn and just took off. It is amazing how much a little instruction can help (for me anyway). Now, I'm hooked. I LOVE KNITTING!!! I plan to go back and take a couple of the intermediate type courses.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lady at Mountain Yarn is really nice. I just love going in there and touching all of the yarns adn having big ideas about what I could make.

I crocheted 5 baby boggin's this weekend and working on number 6.

I have got to get started on some dish towels and make a few more shawls.

What's everyone else up to?

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  11:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter just started last monday taking knitting classes. She loved it! She can't wait to go back today. I look at what she's doing & I just get this confused look on my face, like "what & how are you doing that"?

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knitted stuff always look so delicate, expecially the baby items.

I just barely get by double or treble crochet, I would stay really confused with purl one, knit one.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

pamac1

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  2:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love crocheting and have quite a few items made up... does anyone know of a place that takes items on consignment or as an outlet to sell handmade items?

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that there are so many crocheters and knitters that the locam market is covered up.

I sell some at the craft shows where I sell my honey and people are very fickle. 2005 I made a ton on hats adn crocheted dishtowels and sold only a few items, I packed them up adn got the out at the 2006 show and sold everything and was taking special orders.

I plan on taking some items and soap and honey to some of the free shows that way I am only out my time.

Do you have any particular item that you crochet?

IF you are interested I could recommend a few places for you to go and set up and try to sell.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

pamac1

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some shawls, ponchos (adult, child and teen sizes) a few hats/scarves, some really cool tote bags, baby stuff (some I took to Shadow for the new baby...) In the past I made crocheted teddy bears and did sell those, but only by order. I got the stuff to start making old fashioned sock monkeys but haven't started them yet. Yes, I might be interested in setting up someplace but I have never done that before. My sister and I also make candles, both traditional and soy wax, so we could have that, too. Since I have never set up to sell hand crafted items before, I would welcome any suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  3:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep hoping for a farmers market type place here in Blairsville, but I guess not. You can't sell on the square or in the city limits.

Hayesville, NC has people gather on teh sqaure on Saturday's and set up to sell fruits, vegetables and other items.

Murphy, NC has the same except sometimes it is at the old depot and sometimes it is around the square just below the courthouse. Can't remeber their names but the people who run it have the organic vegetable place at Doyle's Restaurant. I did that one the year before last and it was nice.

The Episcopal Church at Hayesville does a free event every year adn it's just a donation.

We also go to Clermont, Ga for a free event that the FFA does as a donation thing.

I sell most of my items at the Harvest Festival at Blue Ridge in October and you can do 1 or 2 weekends there. However it is $40.00 a weekend.

You have a variety of items, which is great.

You also may want to consider joining our Arts Guild, it's $20 a year adn we have a store in Hiawassee that you can sell your stuff in and just pay a fee on the items you sell.

Still hoping for something like this at Blairsville, would be nice for the locals to have a place to sell.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

knittygritty

121 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  7:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently knitting a vest, some socks, and a scarf. I switch back and forth when I get tired of working on one thing. I always have several "irons in the fire" as daddy used to say.....and I always have a dishrag on needles. Finished two knitted baby beanies and some baby booties this weekend. I love shopping at Mountain Yarn, too. Pat is so sweet.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would rather buy yarn than groceries but my husband doesn't understand that.

A co-op would be nice that we could sell handmade items at, reasonably priced.

When I win the lottery I will work out something for us.

I finished another hat last night and starting on dishtowels. When my lye get's here it's back to soapmaking.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

murphy

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  6:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit murphy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
honeybee- would you know how to do a picot edge in single crochet? I know I could probably look it up online but would rather ask you if you had a simple way- thanks murphy

If you are Lucky enough to live in the Mountains...You are Lucky enough...Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  7:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give me until tomorrow sometime to dig through my notes, I know I have simple instructions somewhere.

If I have it, it has to be simple and easy.

Go to Top of Page

murphy

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  9:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit murphy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am in no hurry Honey Bee. I want a simple edge on a crocheted blanket that is not frilly. thanks

If you are Lucky enough to live in the Mountains...You are Lucky enough...Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this on the web, hope it works for you:

Here's the pattern I used - it's called "small picot edging" - you can either do a free-standing trim to sew to something, or you can crochet the edging into an existing piece of fabric (woven, knitted, or crocheted). I'm going to write it out in plain English because for some reason crochet abbreviations make my head hurt.

Crocheted onto the object to be embellished:
Single crochet into the edge of your fabric. Chain 3, single crochet twice into the first chain. Now just single crochet into the fabric again (I skipped one knit stitch on edge of the fabric) and continue with pattern. I used an E hook (aka sz 4, aka 3.5mm) and worsted weight yarn. Easy peasy.

Free-standing:
Chain 3, work 2 single crochets into the first of the three chains, repeat. Wow!

Let me know how it works out or if you need another pattern

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 5 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy