New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 5 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does recommend or endorse any business or professions discussed by our members. You should consider the information provided as advice alone and consult as many sources as you can when choosing a business or person to provide a service.
 All Forums
 Hobbies and Crafts
 Callin All Yarn Addicts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 5
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any yarn addicts out there?

Had the opportunity to visit "A Mountain Yarn" last night. Very nice lady, can't remember her name. They have a wide selection and all yarns and accessories for knitting are %15 off until Christmas. She is also offering classes, from beginners to advanced. (hint, hint PCM)

I want to learn to knit socks on the round needles buy have to learn to knit first. I am just a crocheter.

However, I just subscribed to a new crochet magazine, Crochet Today. Lot's of great stuff from beginners to advanced by not ral technical. THey make their advance patterns easier.

I will be finishing up my CROCHET! subscription and haven't decided wherether to renew it.

All yarn people crochet, knitting, needlework, etc please jump in and join the conversation.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."
A. Monet

Edited by - HoneyBee on 12/01/2006 10:56:19 AM

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://joanns.com/ is offering %20 off your entire online order today.

I have ordered from them numerous times and they have a great turn around time and reasonable shipping prices. All items have been as advertised.

They are offering online discounts all of the time, free shipping, so on and so forth.

You might want to check it out.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."
A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's that hint hint pcm about? I told you I'm not patient enough to do this. If I need anything done I know who to call. You Honeybee.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But what are you going to do in your old age? When you can't hike your leg to ride a Harley and your bifocals won't fit under your helmet face shield.

Of course little clip could ride you around in a sidecar. :)

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds cute. I like to knit, have no idea how to do anything fancy, just long rows, not big enough for a blanket, but a long shawl or something.

I'd like to learn, but have not time.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry if we don't make time for ourselves, no else is going to make it for us.

My mom tried to teach me to crochet when I wa younger, no interest. Then I tried again as I got older, no interest. Fianlly a couple of years ago I started and got interested but couldn't remember what to do at the end of a row. The internet is wonderful for patterns and such, but not for beginners. So I went to Wal-Mart and got me a book "Teach Me To Crochet For Kids" (they also have a knitting one for kids) lot's of pictures and easy directions with patterns. Once I got it down, off I went. Most stuff I make is single or double crochet, so it's not fancy stitches.

I am finishing up a triangle shawl with just 3 basic stitches and it look's pretty good, don't know what to do with it. Will probably donate it to the nursing home in Murphy where I am volunteering.

So feel free to help me stimulate the yarn economy. Take a class or get a knitter to work with you and it's great therapy.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There surely are some lovely yarns out there. I love throw blankets. I bought a Ralph Lauren cashmere one and believe me it sure would have been cheaper to knit myself.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  1:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out that when you knit, you use less yarn than crochet. That's how all you knitters get away with the cool, pretty stuff. The ribbons and decorator yarns are beautiful.

At Thanksgiving last year I took a spinning class (for you forum cruisers, that is not the one at the gym) at the Folk School. I can actually work a drop spindle but the spinning wheel is difficult for me because I am left handed. So there you go, everything I make is backwards. I learned it all from washing the wool all the way up to spinning it. Very interesting weekend class.

I will be your personal cheerleader, supporter when you decide to give it knitting or crocheting a try.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

knittygritty

121 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a knitter...hence...the name, knittygritty. I love Mountain Yarn...I have been taking some classes there myself. I took a sock class and a booga bag class. The yarns are beautiful!!! I finished my first pair of socks and have another pair half done....LOL....I knit every spare minute I can. It is sooooo relaxing.....wonderful therapy. I also crochet, but like knitting better because the finished product is much softer. Happy Knitting!!

Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what holds me back from knitting is that it looks complicated. My friend Rachel knit's wonderful and has offered to teach me. I think I want to stay in my crochet "safe zone". Plus I am left handed, which makes it hard to teach me. Everything I make is backwards

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FREE Pattern of the Day Gingerbread House Tissue Cover

Courtesy of Crochet Newsletter
Just follow the link.

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's special at http://joann.com/

Free shipping, no minimum required.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An excellent page to bookmark for well over a thousand FREE patterns. If you can't find it here, then it's not out there.

http://www.myhq.com/public/c/r/crochetpoet/

Link to the Lion Brand FREE pattern page. Searchable for crochet, knitting and other yarn crafts.

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi

A. Monet

Edited by - HoneyBee on 12/04/2006 10:55:51 AMGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  11:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the round loom knitters. I use them mostly for hats and they are great. You don't have to count stitches and if you have to lay it down in the middle of something you can pick it up adn go right back to it. So easy a 1st grader can do it. How do I know? Because at MArtin's Creek after school that's what got me interested. The little girl was just wrapping away and finally I figured it out and got hooked. So if you want to do a yarn craft but don't want to use the knitting/crochet needles this is for you.

If you already have them, then this is a good place to find instructions and patterns

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/how-to-loom-knit.html#patterns

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  09:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See lot's of cruisers through this page but only a few responses. Come on there has got to be more yarn people on this board, where are you?

More free patterns for crochers here:

http://www.4crocheters.com/craft/crocheting.htm

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we have any felter's here?

Just wondering. I was thinking about making some small purses adn felting them.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  09:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
joann.com specials today along with free shipping, no minimum required.

Yarn, Knit & Crochet
Buy 8 or More Skeins of Yarn and Save an Additional 10%!
30% OFF - Knitting Needle & Crochet Hook Gift Sets!
$4.49 each - Caron One Pound Yarn, Reg $5.99!
$3.77 each - Lion Brand Lion Boucle Yarn, Reg $4.99!
$3.99 each - Patons Classic Merino Wool Yarn, Reg $5.99!
$1 OFF - Every Moda-Dea Skein of Yarn!
25% OFF - Crochet Hooks!
25% OFF - Knitting Needles!

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Free knitting patterns at http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

and don't forget Lion Brand yarn's free pattern page.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  09:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I crochet. I do it to relax and express creativity. I have sooooo
much left-over yarn that now I made squares for WARM UP AMERICA>
It is a nice way to use up the yarn and help out folks less fortunate.

Sincerely,
CandaceGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:05:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have contacted Grady about donating my hats and they haven't called back yet, so I may be looking for another charity.

I know they are doing the Caps to the Capital for overseas infants but would like to help out in this country.

WARM UP AMERICA is a great charity. They are great and have lot's of participants.

I do wish we could find something a little closer to contribute to.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  10:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS AFGHAN

Christmas Granny Afghan

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

Absolutely beautiful

Makes me want to learn a granny square.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

lovegeorgia

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  1:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HoneyBee,
Granny squares are easy and a lot of fun. When I first learned to crochet, I ordered a video. It really helped me a lot because I could stop it, pause, etc.

Sincerely,
CandaceGo to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  4:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am left-handed, which makes anyone showing me teaching impaired. I have a friend at work who is working with me on it, she just keeps telling me I am doing it backwards.

What kind of video?

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

stardust74

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  4:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the heck is a GRANNY SQUARE??

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3620 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  4:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Nannie taught me to crochet years ago, and the Granny Square was what she taught me after I got the hang of the basics.
I laid down my crochet hook years ago tho (during the 'know it all' teenage years and then marriage), and have probably forgotten how to even make a chain. :(
That is a beautiful afghan tho!

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

HoneyBee

USA
4364 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a square that you start with the middle in a circle and it ends up in a square.

go look at the Christmas afghan link, it's a whole bunch of them.

well Topaz, we will just have to get you crunk (as they say in the ATL) on crocheting again. IT's lonely out here by myself.

A. Monet
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 5 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy