New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 19 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 The movie theatre closed about a month ago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  6:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone Notice?

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  7:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes...I noticed and it's probably a good thing. I heard so many bad things about the crooked seats, dirt, and fuzzy screen that I never went there.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  9:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe someone will buy it and clean it up.. Id like to have a movie theater again here.. let me rephrase that.. A NICER CLEAN ONE.LOL

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  9:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, it's only $763,000!! We could all pitch in & buy it. Get the duct tape and caution tape off of them.

*I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe*Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo.. change to us all ay? lol!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh you all are a tough crowd! LOL
Its was just a movie theatre. Id rather pay $5 and have a squeky seat than $10 to see the same movie with a softer seat & drink holder.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  12:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm.lol touching the material of the seat without feeling somekinda grossness.. PRICELESS!HAHA! SORRY! Id pay 10 bucks to feel comfy.. instead of 5 to wonder if "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I" had sat there before me and some 16 yr old was to busy in the parking lot to come make sure everything was clean! :O

Ah.. even that 5 bucks didnt make it work tho... maintnance sucks when you are paying high price but its good to be reassured its in proper running order.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  06:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha Ha~

I guess I could make a joke out of this but I wont...Ahh I'll do it anyway....The Theatre was SOOOOOOOOOO dirty.....<how dirty?>

It took them a month to retrieve a lost wallet off the floor~ With the Law's help~ ;) Sadly they took his dollar but he did get his wallet back.

"God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay and who you refuse to let go."
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing bad things about this theater.

Every time I drive by, I think . . . what on earth is the reason? It looks like a fairly new building! How old could it possibly be?

I mean . . . are there crooked seats and duct tape because it's old, or because it's been overly abused or not maintained?

And why didn't they care about losing business to Fieldstone Cinemas in Hiawassee????

What's the deal here?

Wildflower

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me.
But deep down, I know that's not true.
Some of the smaller countries are neutral.
~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  12:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not notice. Oh and yes I'd rather pay more for a nicer place to be. Don't want to put my pop corn down and wonder what's gonna be sharing it with me.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The theater is not that old, it wasn't around when I first moved here. They never ran an ad in the paper telling what movies were playing, so I never knew. I don't go much anyway!

Go to Top of Page

Gaonmymind

199 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  1:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably lost business to fieldstone because it was nasty!
I took my little one there one day for a show. I felt absolutely dirty after comming out of there. I kept smelling an oder and finally realized it was urine!
Does the law require that theaters have health inspections?
They do serve food.
Gives me the willys just thinking about what my kids and I could have been sitting in or near. EWWW!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  1:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Tom owned it they did run ads.. but it suffered because of management with the new owners.. the place WF was very dirty.. and no mam,... not maintained. Seats were broken and yes, there was duct tape that was on them for over a year.. so they acknowledged the issues.. just either wasnt bringing in teh profits to maintain them or just didnt care. Id rather think it was the budget holding them back.. but that wasnt the excuse for poor quality and service other wise.. with no more than there is to do with running a theater,... they could have cleaned the place at least.. and as for employees.. well I know how that goes so Ill not knock them on that one... that is something every business seems to have issues with.. even the Nursing home has issues with keeping workers..

Its stuff like this tho.. stuff that could have been helped in most ways.. but some that might not could have..

Yes mam. I too believe the Fieldstone put a hurt on them.. but IF Baldmtn had kept up its appearances like Coosa said.. by way of paper.. and like all us feel.. by cleaning the place up.. they would had nothing to worry for in competetion..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  1:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasnt that bad. Just wasnt all fancy and new.
If I want upscale, I an't gona be lookin for it at a movie theatre.

I agree with you wildflower. Its sad people would want to pay a bunch more for reclining seats in a megaplex at the cost of loosing one of the few places to go out at night here.

We had a nice little inexpensive place here, but that american mentality of newer and bigger is better won out. Consumerism is ingrained here in Blairsville really bad, seems like the town is over run with big new houses, big new trucks and big new and old people.

You all can jump on me and your welcome too, but this is one thing I miss socially about Connecticut. There was more of a sense of modesty and respect for the past there. The throwaway, next big thing, tear it down, newer is better and trend following wasnt as strong as it is down south. It seems even worse in Atlanta.
When people go up there they usually say its run down looking in a lot of areas. I think thats a reflection of what Im talking about. Its "fine" and has "character", why waste money and build a new one.? You also see hardly and "subdivisions" Most folks there wouldnt want to live in a foux finished cookie cutter place. There arent many chain restaurants, and the ones we do have only come in the past 5 years.
I saw some pics of downtown from 25 years ago, seems y'all tore down some real pretty and historic old buildings and trees. That would never have happened up north.

Just my observations, I do like it here better overall though. Feel free to chime in if you want.

Edited by - spam4einstein on 09/27/2006 2:02:19 PMGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fieldstone's movies were only $1.00 more. You go to atlanta, you pay $8.50-$10 for a movie. To sit in a theater where your feet don't stick to the floor & have to sit in a seat & wonder ,"what really went on in this chair", I'd pay $20 to see it at fieldstone. There was 2 times my daughter got sick from the rancid butter and we never went back. Kids running the place, they did nothing to keep up with the competition, so farewell to them. Fieldstone caters to the families with kids packs (popcorn, candy & drink), specials, the manager will hand out movie posters to the kids too. Well worth the extra buck.

*I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe*Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
The throwaway, next big thing, tear it down, newer is better and trend following wasnt as strong as it is down south. It seems even worse in Atlanta.

We blame that on Sherman!

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buhaha! Ummm.. Good point there Shader.. but I dont know who said to tear it down..?? I missed that? Repairs maybe? And wouldnt take a heck of a whole lot.. but who said tear it down? I believe I would vote no for that one too.. as I wouldnt like the Civic ctr torn down either!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spam...if you are looking for "historic", go to the Henn Theatre in Murphy. It really is an old-fashioned movie theatre and is clean and in good repair.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O yes.. now theres ya a good ole fashioned historic theater! And yes.. its still in good condition last trip I went.. back in 1992?

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spam...you're talking more like a native than a transplant.

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! maybe some red clay is getting under my skin. Ill have to start wearing my Ynakees hat again.

I didnt mean "tear down" in a literal sense on that building.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Im used to all new theatres costing $10. Id still go to ours even if feildstone was the same $$, but assumed that fieldstone was $9-10

Yes, the hen looks cool. I plan to check it out real soon.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam.. when we went to Panama in July.. it was indeed 10.00 a head to see a movie... so I understand your referencing..

I dont like the hours at Feildstone but I realize I cant have it all.lol

I know the blood, sweat and tears that has went thru our theater here, and it really was a shame to see it let go like it had.. but its even worse to see it closed.. if it were still open and clean,... I would not hesitate a bit in taking the family there.. however.. the last time I was there.. it honestly had a smell that turned my stomach and I kept waiting for it to go away but it didnt.. and the chairs were sticky and broken.. now Im a big gal.. but it honestly wasnt safe for anyone to sit in.. neither was the ones my kids were sitting in.. therefor.. is my reasoning I chose not to go to it for some time now.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  3:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone summed it up.

Would I choose to reward bad management? No way. If it's dirty, it would ruin my whole experience.

It sounds like a combination of bad management and too small a budget to run it right.

And, yes, Fieldstone is NOT expensive. It's a bargain compared to any city and you never have to fight a crowd. They also have free Saturday morning movies for kids I think.

I make it a point to never assume anything is expensive until I check it out. You miss a lot of good things that way.

If someone bought it with a good budget and management skills, people would flock to it. There is no way that the citizens of Blairsville would leave their own county IF they had a great choice right in town.

An opportunity missed.

But, it's inevitable that someone will eventually buy it and do a better job. Could be a money maker if they knew what they were doing.

You never know. In Dallas, when all the giant, stadium-seating mega theaters opened up, most of the older theaters went out of business. But there was one that got creative to get business back. They turned their older theater into a "movie and dinner" place. You would sit at a table, order dinner, and watch the movie. They also rented out space to parties and other functions. They also redesigned the place to look like a classic old theater.

It was a great success.

There is another (historical) theater in Dallas called the Inwood Theatre that shows independent films that don't come to the major chains. They have a little art deco bar in the lobby. They also do great. You just have to get more creative.

Wildflower

~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  3:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Spam,

The seats at Fieldstone don't recline.

I don't think they even rock.

Anyway, they do a good job there.

Wildflower

~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  3:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coosa,

I go online to see what movies are at the Fieldstone.

http://www.fieldstonecinemas.com/

I also see the marquee every time I do errands, but it's so easy to check show times online.

I'm dying to see "Little Miss Sunshine".

Wildflower

~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  3:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the free Saturday morning movie for children under the age of 14:

http://www.fieldstonecinemas.com/Specials.htm

Wildflower

~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy