New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.
 All Forums
 Union County Schools
 Advice!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 5
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  8:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, that's awful. I got the picture before reading all of this. WOW! I'd make sure that kid is help accountable & the teachers.
When our daughter went to c-21 last year, they all had to do homework first & then they could play or do crafts. I hope with the new director, it hasn't slipped. Good luck, & I know that must be a real hardship on that little bud.

*I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe*Go to Top of Page

knittygritty

121 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  8:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This must have happened when the children were loading the buses. I have heard that the helpers load the buses at 21st Century, not the teachers. Still, I can not figure out why someone did not see it. Either way, it happened and the child that did it should be disciplined. Did the other child get a strike against him? I thought this program has a three strikes and you are out policy. I'm not sure for how long or if it is permanent dismissal. I am sorry your little boy felt threatened and had to go through this. I hope you keep him in the program and don't lose faith in the teachers. We really do have some wonderful teachers in our school system and it seems they all get a bad rap when one messes up. I have had pretty good experiences with all the teachers when my four children went through the UC system. However, I know some who have not been so lucky. Good luck in your decision making concerning this matter. I hope you little boy is ok.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  9:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knitty, thank you.. I am praying about it.. I really am. I helped him with his work tonite and he was cute but it was sad too.. he said, Mommy, will you be my teacher and I wont have to go back to that nother school where Kotsey goes.. :(... I explained to him that the boy wouldnt always be around him. That this was just one instance and tomorrow will be a better day.. by this time he had started coloring again.. didnt say anything else.

Yes mam.. there are lotsa wonderful teachers there.. LOTS and I have been so fortunant for my kids really with their teachers.. tho I had issues with my eldest last year.. she adored her teacher.. she was my kids idle to be honest.. so much that she came home and told us the teachers personal life to.lol but not really lol.. she paid very close attention to the teacher and wanted and still wants to be her when she grows up.. so much that it interfered with academics.. not the teachers fault at all. I honestly love the teacher.. and I admired her when I was a young girl too.. she was and has always been a truly beautiful lady that girls did look up to.

My Weela, now last year we were truly blessed with her teacher.. she was honest to goodness angelic and made a very big and positive impact on my daughter.. if only we coulda moved her along with her.. ;)... but so far so good this year with her new teacher too although we still arent over last years teacher.. :( But I hope she is still there when my next one comes along.. tho she had a new grandbaby last year so.. I couldnt blame her if she wants to enjoy her grandbabys too..

Anyways, we have had lots of positives.. and like I said earlier on.. the positives stands out and so does the negatves.. Those positives shine on thruout life.. as I know my Mrs. Everett and Mr. Ensley will always be in my heart and I owe them soo much... not only academically but they tought me LIFE too.. and thats all I want for my kids.. taught what the academics require with a touch of compassion..

The principal.. Mr. Kelly.. and his assistant.. THEY are there for the kids not only their staff.. They treated and handled the matter so very well.. we can not complain there at all..

As for the director Maddy, I honestly dont know... I am not very impressed personally this far.. I hadnt had to deal with her much until today and well you know how that went,.

I liked Dana bunches.. she was on top of everything and done her job. no qualms there.. at all.

The homework thing.. I cant say there either.. all I know is the girls were split up yet they always brought their homework home and said that they got to watch Boomerang at school... so thats all I know however the new cordinator told hunny on the phone that the child is responsible for doing their homework .. not the staff... I dont want the staff to do my kids homework but if they didnt have homeowrk to need help in,.. ya know.. I had to fill out a list of movies I would permit my child to watch last week.. and I was wondering when she would have time for this if they were going over homework and tutoring their needs academically for what they were sent to the program for.. but I figureed it was for days that they got finished early..

Thats all I am gonna say for now.. Ive ranted and worried.. prayed and asked all I can for this day.. Love and best wishes to all..

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

knittygritty

121 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  9:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
((((((((((((DOC))))))))))))))))lots of hugs to you! Hope everything gets better sweetie!! I'll be thinking of you and those babies of yours.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  9:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(((((((((((Knitty))))))))))))) thank you.. that goes beyond whats here on this board..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

swtsue

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - swtsue on 09/20/2006 10:41:24 PMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  07:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, now I need another blood pressure pill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc, I got that picture and was absolutely just ......well words can't or won't describe!!!!!!!!!

You and UBB do WHATEVER you have to do for him and if it means keeping him out of this program THEN so be it! I am FED UP with this school system!!!!!!!! And I mean FED UP!

Yesterday, Lil Man came by the office to go pay a bill for me. I was in the midst of patients and trying to get them back and I asked him how his day was. He had problems with that teacher again, over a program that the school is offering that is participation IF YOU want to be part of it. Well she told Lil Man that he would be getting a zero for NOT participating. So I KNEW from reading this packet that this was a "IT's UP TO YOU"...not a "ITS UP TO THE TEACHER!"...So I just stoppped what I was doing COMPLETELY! And I called the teacher at school. Of course, I was sent to her voice mail. She later called me at work and I started with A and went to Z in a matter of seconds. Thank goodness my brain could retail all that I spit out! But I just told her all the troubles and all the problems and that I had a 3 page letter I had already written up that she would be receiving and so would the principal. I also told her that I had not put my son through school for her to cause him to WANT to quit! I got through with all my conversing with her on the phone and then called the principal...Mr R and he said that the teacher couldnt give him a Zero for not participating in a voluntary program, I said well her and the other teachers schemmed it that way and .......I WASNT PUTTING UP WITH IT! THAT I SAT VERY QUIET FOR THE PAST MONTH but No longer! He promised me he would take care of the problem. And my last words to both of them were, I want him OUT Of that class, and I do not want that teacher having ANY association with him at all. THis is the 2nd time since 8th grade he has had her. No more! Oh and to beat it all, I asked the teacher if she put that on the packet about the students getting a zero for not doing it and she said "well no!" and I said "Well I am TELLING YOU that he WILL NOT get a zero for some rule she formed with another teacher and that HE WOULD Not participate in this program! So we will see what transpires today! I do know one thing. I am ready to get the heck out of dodge! I am heading for the beach Tomorrow morning bright and shiney! Doc, you and all of you are in my thoughts. I will be honest here and say, I, at the moment, cant stand the school situation. We as parents have to stand for our kids. ANd By GOllies! I did and I am! And I am not backing down now!

"God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay and who you refuse to let go."
Go to Top of Page

taylor50-140

USA
2293 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  07:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My kids are all grown so I've never had any dealing with the UC school system, but, it seems problems like these arise in all areas.
When my boys were in 2nd and 4th grades, they were being harrassed by a bunch of older boys on the bus. They kept telling the bus driver and the principle, but because we were new to the area (Gray & Joy - we had moved to Waynesville!) we were not part of their good ol'boy network, so all complaints were ignored.
One afternoon, I received a call from the school telling me to come pick up my kids at the elementary school as there had been a fight and both the boys and Be-Bop had been taken to the elementary school. I went to the school and was horrified! My youngest boy had a bloody nose and scrapes and bruises, and the oldest boy had broken glasses, a busted lip and a cracked rib! The ones at the school hadn't even offered to get either of them a paper towel to wash off their face! I let the principle know under no uncertain terms that either he figured out how to pay for the medical and the glasses, or the price would come out of his behind!
I'm SO sorry that all of this is happening to ya'll. Keep doing whatever you can for your kids. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I've been there.

Life is a Journey -
Enjoy The Trip!Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never known a child not to get some type of grief from school. Not sure any parent can stop this from happening at sometime during a child's life.

My adorable 6 year old came home the other day with a huge welt down his cheek from his eye down from some boy scratching his gorgeous face.

I was utterly livid. Could have seriously hurt his eye. The boy did not get in trouble, not even sure the bus driver knew, but I wanted to seriously create a stink, because NO ONE has the right to harm my child.

Instead my hubby told my boy to tell that boy that he does not have the right to ever touch him again. I thought that was a dumb way to handle it, but the boy listened and said okay and looked like he did not know what my boy was talking about.

Guess maybe that was the most mature way to handle it, but it did not cross my mind.

Hope it never happens again, but he's a boy and it will.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry, I think yours ride mines bus.. just has been at different times since they started that program.. That bus driver is the strictest I know of and has been doing it for ever since I was in elem. school.. HOWEVER, Never be affraid to talk to her.. she really is a wonderful person and will stay on top of things if you have a problem.. it isnt making drama or a nuiscence when you are protecting your kid.
Thats good that your boy went about it like your husband asked but kids need adult supervision and specially when there are issues already brewing so they can watch and maintain it from happening again..
Somethings are in the best interest of safety.. if know one knows whats happened.. no one knows to HELP deal with it.. and even with Lil Doc.. now I aint saying ya should TRY to hold their hand 24/7 but when I was 10 yrs old my mawmaw started getting sick.. and sometimes her dr. appts was during the time I would be getting off of the bus and I didnt wanna be picked up early.. she would leave the key and I stayed by myself until they got home.. by the time I was 12 I had earned the respect and decission amungst my elders that I could manage to be alone in the home for hours if needed when she was hospitialized and momma was working... In this day and time, I wouldnt leave Lil Doc. like that.. and Ive also heard its against the law.. children have lots more they are open for now adays... and more mischief is out there.. but I wouldnt feel comfortable with some things being left up to my kids without my guidence or anothers..
Its not being immature to watch out for the safety of children,.. at all I dont think.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's immature. I would never have handled it that way. I just happen to be at work when the bus comes. I sure would have talked to the bus driver and I will talk to her if anything else happens. I totally believe in protecting your children while you can, because when they're older they are less likely to come home and share with you the problems they are having at school.

Luckily my boy loves to talk and we talk about everything, hopefully that won't change with age.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that protecting your children, sends the children the message that they have the right to be treated with dignity.

Once they get older, they will know this and will expect to be treated that way. That would lower the chance of allowing themselves to be victimized and make them more likely to speak up against abuses.

Wildflower

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me.
But deep down, I know that's not true.
Some of the smaller countries are neutral.
~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  5:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whelp hubbies technique did not work, today this boy, whom the bus driver asked my boy to sit with (same boy), scratched his forhead with his toy car. My boy told the driver, thank goodness. However I'm calling the driver and telling her that boy does not have permission to sit with my boy again.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  8:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry,

In addition to telling the driver, can't someone inform the other boy's parents what he did to your son (twice)?

They ought to know what their son is doing. That's a behavior problem he has.

Wildflower

~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  8:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry, we may have a common denominator.. my son came in today saying that a boy in a green jacket and shirt hit him on the back of the head with his book.. :O... GOOD GRIEF... YEAH SOMEONE SHOULD KNOW.. Ill ask Shirley in the morning cause I have something else to ask her as well.

Hunny made the call. Lilbigun is NO longer in 21st Century. Am I happy with this decission? Not really and I tried to discourage this from happening last nite after we talked about it before bedtime.. HOWEVER.. I suppose its a good thing cause Lil Doc came home and was in tears.. seems someone with red hair who helps there told Lil Doc that YOUR BROTHERS DADDY TORE THE SHIRT.. after the ELEM. School already said that the shirt was NOT torn when he left for 21st... Good grief// I was shocked and its not like we havent had enough grief over this with my son being hurt and scared of school too now.. but the nerve.. I asked lil Doc who else witnessed this woman saying this and she told me so I guess we will deal with this too.. I am sorry I doubted hunny choice now to take him out for his own safety.. and thats why he chose it.. he didnt want to even consider another possiblity of him getting hurt again and the child is terrified anyways and I am not sure had we said you are going,... that it would have been bad emotionally moreso for our child.

Cherry, Id like to know if your child was around this boy on the bus who wore the green jacket and shirt cause if its one in the same.. then that needs nipped too! IT NEEDS NIPPED ANYWAYS!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

honeybear cubs

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  10:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, gals...DOC and Cherry, MY boys ride that bus, too...and my little one was complaining of a boy last week, bugging him, and told him he was going to "punch his brains out". That was one day, another day he was grabbing him around his neck. My little one told him to leave him alone. And, my husband and I told him to make sure he sits by his big brother once he comes on, and we told his big brother to make sure he tells this kid not to mess with them if he does. (Well, big bro is only one year older and not much taller...but still!) So far, they haven't said anything else about this kid bothering them. I'm wondering if it is the SAME kid?!?! I don't know what color shirt he was wearing today, but I'll ask the boys tomorrow and see what they say about this very possible common denominator. Guess we're going to need more than a shirt color to go by on this. Hmmmm...we'll have to email and chat about this one!

Go to Top of Page

Nikita04

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  01:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do all of the kids in all of the grades ride the same bus? They shouldn't put the big kids in with the little ones.

Why can't the bus route be split up? Pick up the elenmentary kids& take them to school,then the middle kids to school,& last the high school kids.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  02:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Nik.. and not sure.. theres enough buses as there is for sure.. theres like 3 different ones come by my house that I know of..

As for the common denominator.. there was my neighbors boy that was hitting on Weela the first week of school and my boy told him to hit on his own sister.. well that boy hit my boy but Shirley cought it and he was taken to the office.. the boy hitting other kids..

Was watching Boomerang.. and well.. I could watch Popeye without eating spinach and beating the tar outta someone.. but nowadays., the kids really learn from actions that they see,.. it is disturbing anymore. Sure there was physical fighting in school when I was in school.. but it was NOTHING like it is now... at all..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  03:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc I emailed you his name and info, thanks! HBC if you'd like it Doc has it. I did not have your email. He is the same age as my boy, or at least not older my boy said.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  06:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry, I have returned your mail and if you are available, please read.

Its not one in the same :O.. :(
Thats not good.. that means there is two...

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

honeybear cubs

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  07:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOC, and Cherry, you have mail!

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, I could feel my heart aching when I saw the pic of your lil man and then I come here and read about all that happened and the way the school has (or rather HAS NOT) handled this, and now I'm seeing red!!
This brings to mind all that Mr. R went thru last year due to the emails. Such a stink raised over that, but yet here's a child being harrassed and physically assaulted, and they want to shrug it off. Pretty sad that more concern lays with an email than with the safety of the children that are in their care!!
Sounds too, like you, HBC and Cherry should get together with the bus driver about the situation there. A meeting with the parents may be in order.

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

honeybear cubs

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  08:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice! United We Stand...yes???

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  10:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all should meet with the school together . . . three sets of parents would be force to be reckoned with.

Wildflower

~Robert Orben
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank yuns.

Well I talked with both "issue care givers". Mrs. Shirley was good as gold and did call me immediately. She is gonna take care of things on the bus and very very understanding and sweet. My older gals are gonna watch our boys girls.. like I said, they each get carried away with their own... one rah rah reeing and the other chattery butterfly.. but now they have been asked nicely this morning to help us, the boys and Mrs. Shirley by me.. Ill be honest... I did get a "Uhh Momma I try already." lol ;) Yall can guess which one said that.. shes reallly wanting to become a lady!

Topey, my husband went and sat in the office with this director this morning... and yet he was there to remedy a the accusastions made to my daughter yesterday by the helper on the way to get her kid out of detention and then Weela being pulled aside the other day by another teacher... basically.. there is still no remedy. They did finally admit that the 6th graders were mixed with the lil kids but they even used a "but it wasnt at bus time" excuse.. it was indeed at the time the buses were loading at the end of 21st century. They said it was at snack time.. which lilun was with his eldest sister and her best friend eating snack and it DID NOT HAPPEN AT SNACK TIME.
They questioned the boy that has been accussed and pointed out as the boy by my child.. all the boy had to do is say he didnt do it to them.. case closed on him..
Do I think they will do anything about this? Nope. Do I think they are conserned.. I know that the Elem. staff is.
Is there going to be extra precausions? I hope so for other childrens safety. Do I feel that this was handled well.. Nope. Do I trust them, cant say that I do.
She finally called here this morning before hunny went up there.. she tried to tell me that my child was telling different stories,.. NOPE. Hes been very consistant without any help from anyone.. no one has pulled him aside and TOLD him what he should think like the helpers who done this with my girls. He has been consistant with the Elem. and with us.. so why is he not with them at the program? Why do they want to encourage my girls differently? Hmmm. makes one wonder..

So no mam Topey.. this isnt as serious to some as that email that anyone with interent could find (probably worse can be found on the world wide web). No mam.. I have not heard in conversation one time anyone from the pertaining if he is ok.. if he is sore.. nope.. no comforting for him or assurance that they recognize his hurt.. just a bunch trying to cover some trails cause he was left unsupervised around a kid 4x his size and weight to hurt my child.

Had they took recoginition in the dangers, tried to remedy it and make sure that they were interested in the childrens well beings rather than covering tales... I suppose I could say I was satisfied.
Hunny told them that it did cross his mind after speaking with other to go to DFACS after two days of this.. but he wanted to see if they were actually working on remedy all together. Whats the difference in neglect here in this situation..

Will he? I dont know.. I think he and I love our children.. and love children altogether. I think they could really have a great program here if they wanted to. Trust worthy people are all within our schools. Like the report I read that WF posted the link to... I can see why 20/20 done that report. Its not just in small towns.. its everywhere...

My child is no longer in the program. He is too small to go thru that.. and its GODS hand that protected his ribs from being broken cause I was in tears and consern over how his chest looked...
Academics come before socializing in this house.. thats one of the SCHOOL/HOME rules here in this house for our children. HOWEVER SAFETY comes before academics in this house too now.

Thanks for all the advice yuns and listening eyes and conserns. I dont know what else to say here because there aint really anything else to say..
God be with those children and with all parents.. with the good teachers and helpers who have to sit in the shadows of those others..

Sir Winston Churchill

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 09/21/2006 1:07:36 PMGo to Top of Page

Topic is 5 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy