New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Blairsville Youth is Really Not That Bad!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  4:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this a while back and ment to comment on it then.

As a member of the youth council at our church some years ago, I recomended to the committee members that we listen to our youth as they make more sence than their parents most of the time. If the youth arn't happy then no one is happy to paraphrase an old saying.

The youth hang aroung town basically because they have no where else to go. What better place around here for them. As Harlen Duncan the then Sherif once said, I like them hanging around town, that way I can find them if I need them.

The only problem I see with the youth hanging around town is the litter some leave behind. Back in the day, as the youth call my time, the youth would police themselves and make sure the litter was picked up or would be reminded by the police (not forced) to pick it up.

We as should watch out for the older youth and adults that may hang out with the kids on the squire or anywhere else. They may lead the kids astray.

I was a kid once and some of the best times of my life were hanging around town and the old Tastee Freeze. We turned out pretty well I guess.

whyGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why, Some adults forget that they were once teen-agers themselves,eventho I spent half of my teen age years in the military,there were some pleasant times,with the opposite. I have never accepted that teenagers need a special place to congergate or hang out.Most of them want to be free of the supervision of older people,that's part of the maturing process. Teenagers and young adults will find a place to assemble,to their satisfaction. This,I did notice,everytime I go to Mc Donalds (in the evening)the t.agers will drive through the parking lot about every five minutes.I can't fully understand the motive,also gas is expensive. I think,on a national average the teens here would be close to the top. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  11:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to drive around & around our McD's on the weekend nights. They stopped that soon after we graduated. Gas was way cheaper too. Just wanted to see our friends & chat. Find out who was having a party or where everyone was going.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I would like to be able to do some of the things I did when I was young, I don't know if I would like to be growing up now or not. They're so many things to tempt our kids today and so much peer pressure. In some circles a kid is looked down upon if they do too well in school or decide to concentrate in sports rather than hang around with their "other" friends. It's bad when its wrong to be smart or talented.

Too many things available to the youth of today can kill you the first time you get involved. The main thing I would like to say to our youth is take care of each other, you know what is right and wrong. Don't let your friends hurt themselves or others. Don't lose the privilage of sitting around the square because of a few that don't get it and have to litter or break bottles. You will find that those who arn't in the "click" today may be pretty good people to know as you get older, you can be friends with all types and groups. They each have their own stories and dreams. Some times being a good listener is the best kind of friend to be.

Getting carried away, better stop for now.

whyGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  11:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why, I agree with your post of the 18th.To many of we older people think that we are so wise and intelligent that we can't listen to someone that is younger. There is always room for learning. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  2:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WRJ, thanks for the roses, there is an old saying "Out of the mouths of babes". Art Linkletter (you have to be old enough to understand his show) once said that he liked to interview old folks and kids, the old folks figured that all their enemys were dead and the young folks were too young to care.

The youth will tell you the truth if you will listen and if they think they will not be ridiculed for their thoughts.

whyGo to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our teens here are awesome compared to most other places. The problem is there is no place to" hang out". I took 2 to the movie theater here 2 nights ago and there were only 4 teens in the entire theater and my other teen told me that the theater at fun world was packed!

Most teenagers go to the movies, there really is not much else to do for a date, young or old , they deserve an updated, cleaner place to go too as do the rest of us. Teenagers work and spend most of their money, I know of more than a few that make their own car payments and pay for their own gas and insurance!

If there was more to do there might be less time for them to be sitting around drinking etc. Even the mini-golf in town is lame, who would want to have a date there????!!! Overall we still have less problems with our youth here than alot of other places, more drama maybe but less serious and harmful stuff although we shouldn't think it's perfect here cause we do have all the issues as the larger towns, just a lesser degree thank God.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy