New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Blairsville Youth is Really Not That Bad!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
ER

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  02:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can not seem to understand all of this talk about the youth in blairsville being troubled and trashy. I surely do not appreciate that kind of talk about myself and my friends. Sure this towns youth is not perfect but has anyone been to the ATL lately. Maybe if we had something else to do we would not be hanging out on the square, or riding around town which seems to cause more of an uproar than honestly needed. At least you know where we are. Would you rather us be out at parties, drinking and driving and doing god knows what other illegal activities. I admit that there have been times when I have resorted to some of these activities. Who hasn't. I do not believe that all of these older folks writing the rude comments about our youth are all so perfect themselves. Who are they to judge us. If you have such a problem with what we do with our spare time then maybe you should fork out some of that retirement money and build us somewhere to go. All this talk about a skate park is wonderful. At least for some of the younger kids. As far as the 18-24yr old crowd goes, well just let us take care of ourselves. We are old enough to make our own choices and if they happen to be the wrong ones well... then that is a part of life. Live, Learn, and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I still do not understand what it is that we do that is so wrong. Will someone please tell me?

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  07:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure where or when the "bashing" came from, but I can give you my opinion. Have you read the arrest report in the papers? A majority each week are from underage drinking/dui/possession of meth/pot. Maybe you're in the minority of the youth that are not getting in trouble. Fun World just opened. I'm in my 30's & I love it, so don't say you're too old for it!!LOL But, drugs & underage drinking are going to come out everywhere. We're just a smaller town & that makes it seem much bigger than it is. The adults who are making the meth labs need to be stopped, so help out in the community to make it better for the younger ones. Step up to the plate & prove these people wrong who are upsetting you.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  12:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see nothing wrong with the kids sitting around the square at night. We go out to dinner every night so we see lots of kids and they are always well behaved. Times haven't changed much. All we had was the movies to go to, or we would go to the local drive in restaurants and hang around. When there was a teen town, it was so supervised that no one wanted to go there.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  03:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marg and Coosa, youve spoken well!

ER, quit letting your coinscience bother ya dear.

If you want people to approve of you, give us something to smile about. Tell us something other then its alright to party!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  01:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some kids have been throwing rocks and busting out windows of cars on the sides of the roads. Not certain they are kids but someone has. I saw one at Bunker Hill and one at that car lot on Old Blue Ridge hwy! I think someone needs a whoopin and a reality check! That makes me soooo mad!

Go to Top of Page

jandrax

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  11:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and another thing is have you tried to get through b-ville on a friday night with everyone running around like a chicken with its head cut off?? it is hard enough during the day but at night it is crazy. i dont even go to town if i dont have to any more becasue of that. there has to be a better way and place to go than that.

Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  1:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I grew up here and I'm now 36 and still living here! It's ALWAYS been tradition for the teens to "sit on the square" or "hang out in town". Personally when i go through town it brings back so many memories and all good. I see nothing wrong with it. It's small town America and that's a good thing. Let them be, some things we do not need to change. No harm done!

Go to Top of Page

Vhines

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main problem is that the teens of today are not the teens of yesteryear. Every business in town has complained about trash, including used condoms, kleenex and worse been thrown on the ground in front of their stores. They don't have to put up with that and they are not. The police respond to citizen complaints as do city council persons. The "kids" are the ones that are slowly but surely having themselves removed from the square and every single parking lot in town.
At this moment, Auto Zone is the only private property lot they can legally gather in and the section of the square by the hole in the wall and Blairsville Realty. I submit to you that by spring they will have been removed from those areas as well.

Go to Top of Page

snickerfritz

6 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  5:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A skate park in Blairsville? Intresting idea... I would go I can't wait to graduate High School and go to college and Get Out Of Blairsville! The Kids are even more close-minded than the adults.........
I have nothing wrong with the kids driving around the square. But seriously, They should have some respect and stop throwing their crap around like a bunch of idiots. Not all teens are disrectful brats that do drugs...Just keep that in mind.

Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the kids hanging out on the square at all. They're generally well behaved and haven't caused me any trouble at all at my store. Sure they leave trash out sometimes, but that's normal for teenagers! It's not that often, it's not that messy and we just clean it up. I've never had any kind of malicious vandalism or problems with leaving items out accidently overnight. Everything is still there in the morning! I've been here five years and I've never seen the messes or the disgusting things that others talk about. I'm glad but I think that maybe a few "bad" apples caused the reputation that isn't accurate. As long as they don't hang out in front of my store during business hours, I say let them sit.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  7:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Town was fun and the place to go when I was a teen although I never understood riding around and around and why they called it a swuare when it is a circle or why we had that "monument" at the old courthouse. I never thought about the monument till Moose made a comment about how perverted it is.lol

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  7:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a positive attitude to the teenagers and young adults in Blairsville.They are generally well behaved and from my limited association they have been very respectful.They have more character than those that live in Tampa (where I an from.)Recently me and my wife were at mc Donalds on on a Friday night,I counted several vehicles comming and leaving the parking lot at the rate of ten times per hour.At first I thought what they were doing was really dumb and then I realized that I had done the same when I was A teenager,they didn't seem to be looking for trouble like me and my friends were.

Williaam R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  8:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure with a Blairsville police force, the older kids can't get away with the type of things I used to get into there in the wee hours (when nineteen and should have known better):
playing tag downtown - with cars...
driving around the Square the backwards way...
zooming down Thrill Hill...

(that's all I'll admit to, at least).

Shadow

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday. Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  8:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your right Shadow! I remember those days! I also remember when it snowed and was all icy the cops would let us do donuts in the parking lot at Ingles when it was closed and they sat there and watched us to make sure all would be ok! I loved Thrill Hill! Yep! I have been around the square backwards too!

Love and Peace to all....Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  8:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about hanging out at Owltown on Friday and Saturday nights? Pool table, country juke, smoking, BYOB, fighting, and general ruckus-raising.

Um....at least, that's what I heard about it. Yeah. Very detailed stories. Yeah...that's it.

(not that I condone any of that behavior now)

Shadow

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Edited by - ShadowMan on 11/09/2004 8:59:32 PMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  9:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shadow I worked at Owltown my Junior and Senior years! Hee Hee! But all the bad stuff........well fun stuff was gone when I went to work there. I recall riding up there one night but my Hubby wasn't one for taking me to places like that even though he went back then with his "Buds"(&friends too)

hrspowr

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  12:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Town was fun and the place to go when I was a teen although I never understood riding around and around and why they called it a swuare when it is a circle or why we had that "monument" at the old courthouse. I never thought about the monument till Moose made a comment about how perverted it is.lol

Haha, Moose is a mess and I mean that in a good way. I've known him for about 10 years and he hasn't changed a bit!

Go to Top of Page

Birdy

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The youth are visable in town. I have no problem with the youth.

Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sooooo, Shadow, when you get a call about your kids doing the same things you gonna be cool with it?

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  7:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can say answer that question! May I, Shadow? I have 3 teens...the oldest is a boy who is 19 years old. He got stopped the first week he got his truck. Just a warning, but it was for following too close in town. Ok...My theory is...most of us adults follow too closely, don't we? But you let a boy about 17 years old get a perdy lil truck with a No Fear thingy on his windshield and these lil blue light up things and Dog gone He gets pulled over!

He also was involved in a fight in town. He didn't start it but he finished it! He had to pay. The other feller had to pay! Punishment enough! I was actually proud that he beat the crap out of the guy because he needed it, and even the cops said that to me!

But when it comes to drinking and driving or any illegal use of drugs, I don't have the tolerance for that and you better believe if they do that and get caught that I will be one mad Mom!

I don't think the youth in town today are as much of "Rebels" as we all were! They only thing I see differently in town today that I didn't see when I was in town is that there are more girls in town than back then. My dad's philosophy on town was, He had better not see my hindend sitting on a hood of a car. So he never did 'til I was married!

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  8:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sooooo, Shadow, when you get a call about your kids doing the same things you gonna be cool with it?

I can imagine the calls or conversations my folks used to get, now that I'm well past all that and can reflect back. Back then I was young, invincible (I thought), and not much fear. I wasn't real big on listening either.

It's a stage. I hope my kids go through it better than I did. I don't think I'll be cool about it, but I might have some cautionary tales to commiserate and relate to them with.

Shadow

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday. Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  06:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that one of the best things we can give our kids (or anyone else's kids) in those wonderful-awful teenage years, is our memories; whether we share them verbally or through quiet undertanding when they act as we did when we were their ages. The "acts" may not always be the same but the motivation generally is. It's a teenager's job to begin to pull away from his parents so he can become a responsible adult....these little (or big) acts of defiance head them in that direction. God Bless them!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  07:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youre exactly right! GOD BLESS THEM! Theres a lot more going on in todays world. There was a lot of broken homes (I thought) growing up. Well, what I thought is even moreso today! Im not aiming straight for just broken homes, but it seems that when folks divorce or single parent homes evolve... kids rebel in different ways and they try to find happiness and just do not know where turn or how to cope with it. Kids act out to get attention. They are longing to be loved and seen as an individual.
My oldest is only 9 and she has had little friends that really just dont stand much of a chance unless someone is willing to give it to them. I thought I would try with one child whos mother and father are absent (I am all to familiar with absence of both parents living with my grandparents) and so we took her in on pity and love and concern. It was not to long after I saw trouble brewing and the child had been to moms on weekends and learned things that I am sure is the reason for being absent. My child started learning things from that child and it was really a trying time. We found out that sometimes nomatter how much you try, you can make matters worse and bring in the problems to your own family.
I feel sorry still for the little girl cause she has learned to con and munipulate at an early age.
She is always hurting my daughters feelings and using her for whatever is convienant for her and in return... my daughter is learning tricks of the trade and being punished.
I know I have yet a long road and I just feel sorry for the kids. They are dealing with worse issues than I recall us in my era dealing with and there are so many that have potential.
I pray for them all. I really do!

Go to Top of Page

Georgia

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  07:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The teens are'nt as bad as I was. That is for sure!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  03:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Children Learn What They Live"
by Dorothy Law Nolte

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I still think Grown ups like myself could learn a thing or two from the youth sometimes.lol ;) Ive seen some youth approach things better than me and a few grown ups all together..

God knows theres more expected educational wise for sure of them soooo they just might pass up the grown ups.lol Specially those who dont wanna grow up. :) Like me!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy