New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Affordable housing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  1:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was an older compressor, I think it was a Singer, never heard of it before. It gave me trouble for two seasons before I had the whole thing changed out. Its a TRANE now.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  4:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are right, you should only build (or buy) a house that you truly love. I do truly love the way my house looks, both inside and outside.

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  5:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You like how it looks or do you really like it????

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we wanted to build our house on the 5.4 acres we bought 4 yrs ago. We found out how much it would cost to build & found this house & sold the property. One day....

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I truly love my house and love the way it looks! My husband drew the house plan. I have a really neat master bathroom, I have never seen one that I liked more.(in a normal house)

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  10:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
May I suggest if you are going to upgrade your AC you do some research. One of the top brands is Trane, however, further research will find that Trane is made by American Standard. The main physical difference is the outer covers of the compressor. The major difference is in the price. American Standard just may be less expensive for the same quality of product.

GrayEagle
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." Samuel ClemensGo to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  07:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing the furnace Gray. Already did the A/C last year. Have replumbed the whole place and updated all the fixtures. Ripped out all the carpet and did the laminate flooring. When I retire I want the whole place done.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  1:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We put Lennox in all of our houses. Have had no problems with any of them yet.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  12:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh. My. God.

Look at what is happening in Hendersonville, NC. Donald Trump!!!

http://www.realestatejournal.com/secondhomes/20060621-forsyth.html

Was alerted to this in our Towns County newspaper. Our commissioner has heard about it, and is now considering a height ordinance before this type of thing comes to Towns County.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  01:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nutz! there's already some condo's about to be built in Hiawassee, but not sure how big. He's from Japan or somewhere in the Asia area.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was interesting!!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we already have two condos here in Towns County. There is one near the grocery store, and the other one is sort of in my neighborhood. You can see them sticking up on the hill across the water from the Yacht Club.

I heard from a neighbor who knew the builder, that the wife begged her husband to make them only three stories tall. He ignored her.

Later on, he couldn't sell them and he went under and disappeared.

Thank God for small favors - he originally wanted to build 21 buildings!!!! He only managed to build three.

Even so, they stick up like a sore thumb above the hills. They are very well kept up and the grounds are like a park, but I wish they weren't there.

Oh well. I do hope the Commissioner goes forward with a building height ordinance.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we have condo's in blairsville?? Around the golf course??

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes we do. On Pat Haralson rigth at the golf course, as a matter of fact right at the eleventh hole.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  11:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya know, even tho they get very lil land and no mountains.. I picked up a real estate book in Albany Georgia and believe it or not.. houses down there that have all the doll me ups are going for a fraction of cost here... yes they are a few years old.. one for instance had 34 acres with it, 4bdrm 3.5 bath, triple garage and a pond for 360 grand.. what are you gonna get here for that? If ya dont believe me, remax of albany has it listed and its in Lee county which is considered the nice parts down there.. sure there isnt mountains and sure the frame of this house is more than likely not of the standards of what the inspectors would have you do here and well sometimes there is a lot of over kill in somethings too.. but we are talking about affordabilty verses what you choose... affordabilty was my brain rushing when I laid eyes on this house and all this acreage and what you could do with the acreage to more than pay for the house itself.. then came the facts, moving where the heat is overwhelmingly different from here... going thru the motions to get to where we actually was in my brain rush.. and choice of leaving the place I love.. and grew up in for something that is affordable but living where my heart is.. affordability is choice and I dont know who to actually recall in my own mind has lived their lives on affordability rather than what they want and what they feel is on their terms of being happy.. I think everyone wants something for nothing.. in some cases.. but when it comes to a place that you choose to plant your memories in.. be wise not only when it comes to money, but dont cheat yourself of the terms that make you happy.. dont gripe when its your choice and what you chose because its something you want or you wouldnt make the strive for the destination you reach.

My mawmaw bought a house after my pawpaw passed away (my daddys momma). It was brick but the brick was done to the home after the mobile home was put there... meaning a bricked double wide on the perdiest lot.. she gave 44 grand in the early 80s for this place and it was in its day, a bragger so to say in hers and my opinions.. she later married Lawrence and they got their own home and she just added that bricked mobile home to her rental income... with other places she and my pawpaw had... well we went and looked it this place while we were there being I hadnt been there to that house in sometime.. mawmaw was in discuss at how that mobile home had rotted floors and the trim inside was falling down.. the upkeep that was needed was let go.. she had rented to own to a couple who kept the outside appearances spectacular.. well they ran off a few months ago owing mawmaw and breaking agreement.. the inside was something that hunny just shook his head at.. issues were covered up instead of properly fixed.. instead of repairing the floor, they had place plywood on the floor and covered up the pipe issues then covered up the plywood with carpet, now the carpet and plywood was showing tale tail signs... the salvaging will cost the means of gutting the trailor basically out and building within the bricks?? naw.. that would be crazy? would it?

What she will be selling in this place will be the land.. the house is worth only the brick that is laid around it.. and can you believe nice beautiful flat lots with septic down there are going for 10 grand? She gave us the option to have it.. we will tell her tomorrow to sell this place for what she can get and put the money in retirement as she will retire next month. I feel so bad for her and in the situation she was in.. the folks had lived there rent to own for 5 yrs.. they did well at making it look good on the outside, paid on time up till about 7 months before they actually skipped out.. and here she is... she has said it wouldnt do any good to take them to court.. they more than likely filed bankruptsy or will.. she cant find them via phone books or internet which only means to her that they are on the run from more than just her... so you get what you pay for is her words... she proclaims that had she had the business savy she has had to learn over the years without my pawpaw that she wouldnt had blinked her eye at a mobile home cause she owns two more that are kept up to shape and in good condition that just dont bring nothing more merely than the land they sit on.. yes its convienant money wise for folks who cant afford a construction of a home... but when a person can.. she proclaims, dont settle and dont think your doing yourself any favors for later on in life :(... it was very sad to see the grief in her face as she said this looking thru this home.. it was to be income for later on and then inheretance that at this time.. is neither.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  09:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DoC,

I hate to say this when your Mom is suffering over that house, but . . . as the landlord, wasn't she the one obligated to keep the interior in repair?

I think all the tenant has to do is keep the property clean and inform the landlord of anything that breaks and needs repair.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it depends a lot on your agreement with the landlord. We were able to paint in a house we rented. We had to pay for the paint, but that was our deal.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The contract was drawn up by a lawyer when they agreed to rent to own... and it read and was signed that the buyers would maintain the property and be responsable.. it also read that they were to insure the home.. in which mawmaw carried insurance as well but when mawmaw called their insurance place... they had dropped the insurance long before they actually skipped out.

Now her other rental places, she has not owner financed and will not but she does keep them up and maintained.

It was a chance and the people did pay their rent on time for many years.. like I said, from the outside, it looked very pleasant and everything looked like it was ok.. until they skipped out.. and mawmaw went into the home and saw what was inside of it.. she wasnt busy savy but she was business savy enough to have a lawyer draw up the contract but when they skip out and like she said, it was all a worthless effort now.. :( For the folks and for her.. their payments were 350.00 a month..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  11:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rent to own. Yep, they should be doing that interior stuff, or whatever the contract says. Some people are just losers & skip out like them.
My BIL just bought a house in morningside area of atl. The tenant upstairs hadn't paid rent in 2 months, he knew his rental rights too. When they went in front of the judge, he asked for 2 more months in the place. The judge laughed at him & said he already owed $2500 for 2 months back rent & that the marshalls would be there soon. He hooked up electricity from the neighbor next door too! (hid the extension cord under some bushes & stuff. What nerve! He left the night before the marshall showed up.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  11:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rent to own. Yep, they should be doing that interior stuff, or whatever the contract says. Some people are just losers & skip out like them.
My BIL just bought a house in morningside area of atl. The tenant upstairs hadn't paid rent in 2 months, he knew his rental rights too. When they went in front of the judge, he asked for 2 more months in the place. The judge laughed at him & said he already owed $2500 for 2 months back rent & that the marshalls would be there soon. He hooked up electricity from the neighbor next door too! (hid the extension cord under some bushes & stuff. What nerve! He left the night before the marshall showed up.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What nerve! errr!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  2:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there "Rent - With Option To Buy" and there's "Rent - To Own".

Not sure of the difference. It sounds like their rent was considered almost a mortgage?

My business partner and I rent a spec house that has an Option To Buy. It had been on the market, but it didn't sell so the owner decided to rent it out.

But at this point it's just an option to buy, so the landlord has to maintain the house. We pay for a guy to do lawn maintenance and keep the place up. But if anything goes wrong, the landlord has to deal with it.

We needed a large place because we're separate - just friends, biz partners, and house mates. He took the upstairs and I'm downstairs, plus 2 extra bedrooms for company. He may, or may not, decide to buy it.

There have been some structural issues with this house where we're still not sure of the outcome. It's made us glad not to be tied to it. Who knows what the future holds?

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  2:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love for mawmaw to just do away with all the rentals, and all this and that and enjoy life..

As for agreements, I suppose yours, I just guess its the way it is for yall and or how it goes for yall.

I read the agreement she had and it all was written out plain enough and then again, I suppose an agreement is what two people make and agree to abide by. The lawyer has never done my mawmaw wrong and shes owned a transmission shop, heating and air and has had to have this lawyer or any lawyer with her on her coat wings.. my grandpaw didnt leave her dry so to say... she has worked tho and I can give her that.. she didnt take advantage and go on a spending spree. She has been head strong in working even tho she didnt have to. She came from a small place and was one of 12 kids who had nothing growing up and she knows and remembers where she came from.. that is why she gave these folks the chance in life (a second chance) because she knows how hard life is.. tough luck for her to get the slap in the face..

Now as far as whatever you are talking about Wildy, I may not be clear but you sound to be wanting to place landlords t totally at fault and you being a landlord or had been one... I supposse you havent had to loose much and your agreement with your co partner seems to be justifiable for what yall expect, or expected... good for you.. but landlords shouldnt have to pay the price regardless... and from the way I am reading your post, you are willing to be responsible... even when the tenants should respect the property regardless.. thats something that I guess anyone would call affordable housing when people can move in and let the landlord eat whatever they dish out to them.. and thats sad.. not the way I would view these situations... so again... regardless of your contract or agreement, I disagree with that view.. I do agree that the landlord should maintain the homes in such standards that would be livable and fix whatever is broken. Thats what mawmaw does with her other rentals... this one wasnt a agreement as such tho regardless what you and your agreements say.. her lawyer alone is one of the best Ive ever known.. and he knows of the situation and he advised her on it.. she knows what steps she could take but whats the use when they wouldnt even pay the rent for months and apparently didnt spend money along the years to maintain proper maintnance.. she knows it would cost her more money to take them to court IF she ever could find them.. that wouldnt be a smart thing to waste even more money than shes already lost on.. being a landlord alone, she has to give a notice before even requesting to step inside of the other rentals... Georgia laws are there, and she follows them... Ive known landlords here to in our county to invade privacy and even worse.. so before we lay out what Georgia laws are or agreements, I suppose we should research somethings.. if anything.. learn!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  9:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DoC,

Believe me . . . We just have a standard rental agreement and a lease. Nothing unusual. We didn't ask for anything special to be written.

We are expected to pay the rent on time, keep the place up, etc . . . but I can't imagine us being expected to finance repairing any structural issue . . . like repairing an air conditioner, or if there were termite damage, etc . . .

We don't own it (unless we decide to at some later date).

I do have some issues with some of the finish work and the deck construction, so we are fence-sitting in our minds whether it would make sense to buy the place. It would cost a lot to redo the things that weren't done correctly in the first place. I suppose it would depend on the price - the house is beautiful overall and the neighborhood is wonderful, but who wants to spend so much to fix what should have been done right?

I also suspect a gutter is causing water to get underneath an eave because it wasn't installed correctly. We pointed it out to the owner, but he doesn't seem to think it's a problem. That disturbs me. It looks like water damage is happening and now would be the time to stop it. This house is a huge investment for him and I don't understand why he isn't worried.

Anyway, since your mom had to get an attorney to craft an agreement, and those people were supposed to buy it, I think they were in a totally different situation than a standard rental lease.

It sounds like it was more like an owner-financed mortgage of sorts.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  10:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes down to you actally buying, that's when you tell the owner that you're not signing anything until it's inspected by your inspector.

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy