New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Affordable housing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  3:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of the time when some one asks,why do you want or need such a large house I normally answer,None of your expletive ,explitive,Business. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am one of those that moved here and built a house that is much bigger than I/we needed and bigger than the one we left when both kids were at home. I chalk it up to the "mommy thing." I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of room when the kids came home to visit. As it turns out, they are not here often enough to have to pay for upkeep.

Well, now it costs a fortune to heat/cool it and the upkeep is way too much work. Seems like all we do is house work or yard work. Plus, I am really concerned about the re-appraisal that's going on in the county, knowing that my taxes are going to go through the roof.

Trying to decide what to do about it though... Will probably hang on for a few more years and then downsize. I'd say 1800 to 2000 sq. ft. would be fine for us and a 5 acre wooded lot with lots of trees and very little grass.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  5:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you are saving your money casey, In a few years 5 acres will probably cost a million dollars!!!

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am one of those that moved here and built a house that is much bigger than I/we needed and bigger than the one we left when both kids were at home. I chalk it up to the "mommy thing." I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of room when the kids came home to visit. As it turns out, they are not here often enough to have to pay for upkeep.

Well, now it costs a fortune to heat/cool it and the upkeep is way too much work. Seems like all we do is house work or yard work. Plus, I am really concerned about the re-appraisal that's going on in the county, knowing that my taxes are going to go through the roof.

Trying to decide what to do about it though... Will probably hang on for a few more years and then downsize. I'd say 1800 to 2000 sq. ft. would be fine for us and a 5 acre wooded lot with lots of trees and very little grass.

DoodleBug

I HEAR THAT.
My mother has a place in Sarasota. She was thinking of upgrading to a 2 bedroom condo right on the ocean, but did the math and realized she could put me and my sister up at the Ritz Carlton a block away for a month each year and still spend much less! Kind of funny how that works.

Edited by - spam4einstein on 07/30/2006 10:55:50 PMGo to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father retired some 10 years ago and relocated to Gulfshores, Alabama. He thinking was that we could all do our vacations there at the beach. Well, in the 10 years, I've been there 3 times. One brother has been there like 8 times and the youngest, never has.
Dad couldn't understand it for a long time, till we just plain told him, you are the one thats retired. We work, are involved in the community and do other things. I personally hate the beach. So,whats all this got to do with housing? He sold the large house and built a small two bedroom house on a slab, said he had a hard time with the builders tho, they all wanted to build a larger house. Kept telling him, it would be out of line with the neighbor hood. He's been in it almost a year and has had 3 people stop and try to buy it without ever seeing inside, just because of its size.
I am going to see him next week.

Go to Top of Page

oldman

USA
1849 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  3:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sam, ask how far apart they put studs.. ask what they use and get a materials list, compare to another and see where the cost is? Then turn around and call the harware and ask for a quote yourself!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Here in Florida roof truss is 24 inch on center and they use 15/16 OSB board. Wall studs 16 inch on center.all plumbing thats cold PVC pipe concrete slabs 4 inch thick.Most homes are concrete block,but several builders are pouring the wall 6 inch thick for first floor and stud wall second floor.Wind code is 135 mph constant for 30 minuntes here in Brevard county,FL.Most homes asphalt shingles

udvsanvhi-W-wesaGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  5:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband is finishing up a 1200 sq. ft. house for a widow. It is costing about $120,000 to build it, so that is not too bad. She could sell it and make a profit. It is 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a garage. She got the land from her SIL, so that helped, plus no basement.

Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeap, it is certainly the parent thing. When we moved here, both of my kids were in college out of state. I was sure they would spend all of their spare time at my house, after all, I did give birth to them. Also, they'd get married, have children, bring them home... I'd need room for lots of family... Well...

I got over the "empty nest" and learned that they have busy lives and cannot and/or will not drop everything to visit Blairsville, GA, as well they shouldn't. Now the youngest lives here (in his own place) and the oldest is busy climbing the corporate ladder in Texas. They do visit fairly often, but not enough to warrant a big house. Plus, I could rent a suite at a fancy hotel/spa somewhere that we could all stay in a couple of weeks a year and come out better, now that you mention it. Huummmm....

Maybe the smaller home, and nice hotels are closer than I thought...

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  11:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I want less house, but I do want less yard. It is real pretty, grassed 2 acres, but too much yard work.

Go to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  2:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot of projections are showing that as baby boomers age, they don't want to the worry and work of keeping up a yard. Many want to be close to amenitites. It is being predicted that single family homes, especially those on larger lots are going to be going on a big downswing and condos will be the new hot item to build. In some areas, the market for single family homes is completely saturated and new subdivisions are being shelved before they finish with phase one.

Interesting, huh?

Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  2:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you heard of the architect that wrote the book called The Not So Big House?

http://www.notsobighouse.com/

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  4:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have any of you heard of the architect that wrote the book called The Not So Big House?

http://www.notsobighouse.com/

Wildflower

Thanks for posting that! A wonderful concept that many many people should consider.

This reminds me. Are people in Blairsville still as materialistic as they used to be? I remember when I was there that people were judged by what they had, how they dressed, where they live, etc. After moving away, I discovered that many of the folks in Blairsville seem hyper-focused on materialism. That was one thing that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I remember people building a huge house that was so impressive to others but then not having money for good furniture because they blew it on the house and trying to impress others. Not a good mindset!

Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every where you go there are materialistic people. I don't think Blairsville was this way until the past 15 years or so, Most of the locals who have money have the land. (which they are for the most part going to keep so to keep others from moving in on top of them) and the ones who built the big houses were the ones with the little acreage lots with no land. Don't know if that helps you any, Electra. I am not a materialistic person. Some of my family are. Drive Lexus' and such but as for me, I hate payments. And I hate interest! So in 2 and a half years. All I own will be paid for! I am going to try to keep it that way!

" I live in my own little word. Everyone knows me there!"Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  5:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My houses have been mortgage free since I was 31, before I met my husband. I love the big house and the big yard, but we should just hire someone to cut the grass.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electra, you find materialistic people anywhere you go. I've known people who have delivered pizzas in Buckhead, Ga . He said that the homes were huge & the cars in the drive were the $40,000+ range. When they'd open the door, there'd be milk carton furniture. Materialistic is also having someone just smear in your face how much money they make, how much it cost for this, how much, how much, how much.
I once had a friend who told her husband to go down to the summit, where they were building a big home & see if it was bigger than theirs. She couldn't have that happen. She's no longer a friend of mine, but each his own!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  5:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband told me people probably think I am a bag lady, the way I dress. I treasure my holey shorts and stained shirt!!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently read that America is using more fossil fuel than ever, even though both cars and houses have become much more energy efficient.

The reason?

People started driving large SUV's and living in bigger houses, which cancelled out all the energy efficiency we've gained.

All the bigger houses are taxing the electrical grid across the Northeast right now with the summer heat.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in a big house and I spend less than $100 a month on electricity. One reason is that I have the correct amount of insulation in my house (most don't, no code) and I keep the hot water heater turned off 23 hours a day. I drove to murphy the other day and put the setting on the car to see how many mpg I got. I got 29mpg which I thought was pretty good.

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  1:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting about it being "extra" preoccupied with materialism here. I kind of see it and I kind of dont. I think its human nature across the board. I think its really ego. It shows itself differently in other places. I think in less wealthy and less educated places there is a greater focus on the basic material status symbols. Like Big houses or expensive cars and clothes.
In some of the really wealthy places up north everybody can buy a 100k car. So a super expensive car dosnt impress, rather it makes you look less well off and like your trying to prove wealth, trying to show off. Its also much more focused on what you do for a living. I dated a girl who's father owned about 1/3 of the nations largest furniture store and about 15 other furniture stores in the region. For their vast wealth they were look down upon by the "real snobs" in town. In a world where everyone is rich..it becomes as much about how you make your money, your education and family background as how much $$$ you have. Very much the old money..new money thing.

The other end of the spectrum is ghetto culture. Base materialism at its easiest to see. 30k cars in apartment parking lots, clothes with the labels on the outside, gaudy jewelry.

I see Blairsville as somewhere in-between. In a world without too many prestigious jobs and a mostly working class population Bigger homes and fancy trucks seem to be the way. In Atlanta it seems you can add what you do to make your money, clothes and perhaps zip code to that. I havnt see anywhere in Atlanta where the really rich think ist bad to show off and drive dirty Cadillacs, or old Volvos to show they dont even care about money or need to show wealth.

I think the wealthy areas up north are more ego focused than anywhere, but is a little more evolved when everyone is rich. Its about harder things to have than $$$. Its a very evil place!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  1:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spam you summed that up very well! Blairsville is more of a town of "who" you are. Your last name kind of thing. The wealthiest of the wealthy who live here, are actually "land wealthy"...Meaning it's not whats in their bank account but what they have to show for it. As dad once said to me about people who drove the finest of the fine and lived in the biggest of the big...He said they aren't wealthy THEIR IN DEBT! And he was right. I seen many fall from that material world since my youth. Especially when the kids left home and revealed the truth.

I heard a sad story about a family here in town. The man always made the family think they didn't have money. Had a house full of kids. The wife shopped for their clothing out of town at yard sales to get them nice clothing and they (OR she)lived very conservatively! When she finally got access to something or found something she found how he had hoarded all the money all those years and never told her. After 40 odd year or 30 odd years, She told him to leave. Do you blame her? I think I would of been bitter too!

" I live in my own little word. Everyone knows me there!"Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  3:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. But those "names" around here are definately becoming un-important here as more than 1/2 of the people living here now dont know or care who they are. Ive had a few people name drop on me since Ive been here, so I definately know what you mean. Kinda falling on deaf ears on us newcomers. But boy...your so right about the names being important among some of the natives.

Edited by - spam4einstein on 08/03/2006 11:02:17 PMGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  01:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam,

You're right about a lot. The game changes according to the surroundings.

I think people get into trouble when they forget to pay attention to their own heart. Instead of following the pack, people need to assess their own needs, preferences, and life choices.

They need to pay attention to their own heart. A spiritual book I'm reading summed it up very well. It said not to have anything you couldn't "love". That's partly what moderation is all about.

If you build a bigger house than you need or truly WANT, just because you can . . . will you love it? Or will you love a house more that really suits YOUR life.

Everyone has different needs.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  02:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Casey,

My aunt and uncle did the same thing you did. They had four children who are all grown now.

About the time the last one was leaving the nest, they built the largest home ever. They had their bedroom downstairs, and four bedrooms upstairs, thinking that their children could always come home with their spouses and families.

A few years later, my aunt developed a problem in her knees that made going up and down stairs painful, so even cleaning upstairs was a burden. At that point, they sold the big house and built a smaller one-story home and haven't looked back.

I think she realised that most of the time it was empty space anyway. A smaller home can still expand to accommodate everyone for just a few days.

I have realised lately that I could definitely live in a smaller home, even though practically everyone I know here is building some big ones. Some of them actually have enough family and guest traffic to warrant it.

But I don't care about other people's decisions. I only care about what actually works and feels right for me.

Actually, I am more into the finish work, colors, and furnishings than mere endless square footage. Style, comfort, happy colors, and liveability are what float my boat.

Oh, and wrap-around porches.

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  07:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I agree with that Wildflower, I had the heating and air conditioning man out yesterday to update my furnace. It works ok, but year before last I had my A/C updated and it cut my bill in half. Now I m screening in my deck and gonna install fans and all out there. May put a hot tub out there too, but my little ole house it the smallest I've ever owned but best suits my needs.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
but year before last I had my A/C updated and it cut my bill in half.

Wow, MAC. Can I ask what was there before and how old it was? I've got a fairly old heat pump that's still working fine, but now I wonder if I could reduce its electricity consumption if I replaced it.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy