New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Affordable housing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  9:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest issue of the NGN, specifically the article about UCDA, an item on the agenda was " affordable housing" and in a prior post someone mentioned " houses for the working class". Exactly what is affordable housing? All houses are affordable, just depends on what you can afford. The same for "working class houses". All houses are technically for the working class, depends on your class and whether or not you work. Do you want your children to be labeled as "living in the working class homes" . I think not.

This type housing is a problem in most every community in America. Why do you think there is a lack of so called affordable housing? It is because most builders will not build them, the major national builders and some very large builders in metro Atlanta will tell you very quick, you cannot build low cost homes and make a profit. Only 1 or 2 counties in Metro Atlanta will allow a mobile home, even in a mobile home park. One of them, Dawson County, has such rigid restrictions that it is almost impossible to get a lot or land zoned for a mobile home.

The answer is the area needs more industry and commercial establishments paying higher wages so the working base can afford the bigger and better housing.

In the same paper, under "letters to the editor", a lady was complaining about her family members moving to Atlanta because of low wages in Union County. She stated ," her niece got a WHOPPING
$15.00 per hour". This is one of the problems, a mindset that thinks $15.00 per hour is a whopping salary. No easy answers, but a start is EDUCATION,EDUCATION,EDUCATION. In todays marketplace, if you do not have a college degree you are destined to be a $15.00 per hour employee looking for "affordable Housing".

With low cost housing and low cost apartments all you will have in a few years is a group of slum dwellings. Granted, there will be the exception to this, but few and far between.

Shucks

BenjaminGeiger

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  02:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit BenjaminGeiger's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The same for "working class houses". All houses are technically for the working class, depends on your class and whether or not you work. Do you want your children to be labeled as "living in the working class homes" . I think not.

You obviously have no idea of what is meant by 'working class'. I grew up in a 'working class' family, living paycheck to paycheck. My stepfather worked, and my mother worked whenever she could (which wasn't very often, as my brother's medical problems required constant attention). They were hardly the ignorant, lazy bums you imply that 'working class families' are; they tried their hardest to get out of poverty but couldn't manage it.

Five hundred miles away from Blairsville, my father has been working for the same employer for sixteen years, works 56 hours per week (seven days per week), and doesn't earn enough to buy---or even rent---a real house. Instead, we live in a 'manufactured home', which is developer-speak for 'a mobile home without wheels'.

Even with two adults working and sharing expenses, even 'inexpensive' housing is beyond our means. We live in central Florida, where housing prices are infinitesimal compared to the mountains.

quote:

The answer is the area needs more industry and commercial establishments paying higher wages so the working base can afford the bigger and better housing.

The problem is circular. Since there isn't already a base of skilled workers, companies are reluctant to move into the area, and without steady employment, skilled workers can't afford to move to the area. What's more, there is no such thing as loyalty anymore, neither from companies nor from employees. How can anyone justify a thirty-year commitment when chances are good they'll be unemployed in less than three?

quote:

In todays marketplace, if you do not have a college degree you are destined to be a $15.00 per hour employee looking for "affordable Housing".

I have two Bachelor's degrees (one in Computer Science and one in Computer Engineering) and I earn $20 per hour before taxes, 20 hours per week. It's not an overwhelming wage, but it's better than other offers I've received... and it's only that high because my employer was able to save money earlier on. (The wage was originally $15 per hour, and likely will drop to that sometime in September.)

I'm still living with my father because I can't afford to move out... and this is along the "I-4 corridor", the most concentrated area of high-tech jobs in Florida (not to mention an easy commute). The situation is immeasurably worse in Blairsville, where commuting to Atlanta is at best tedious and expensive---150 miles each way down US-515/I-575---and commuting anywhere else is well nigh impossible.

quote:

With low cost housing and low cost apartments all you will have in a few years is a group of slum dwellings. Granted, there will be the exception to this, but few and far between.

Without low cost housing or low cost apartments, all you will have in a few years is a group of retired people without anybody to operate the businesses they rely on, and even more homeless than you have now.

----

I grew up in Blairsville. Then I managed to escape.Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  03:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The latest issue of the NGN, specifically the article about UCDA, an item on the agenda was " affordable housing" and in a prior post someone mentioned " houses for the working class". Exactly what is affordable housing? All houses are affordable, just depends on what you can afford. The same for "working class houses". All houses are technically for the working class, depends on your class and whether or not you work. Do you want your children to be labeled as "living in the working class homes" . I think not.

Working class homes... I lived in hud approved apartments when I was young, it didnt hurt me. I didnt get wet when it rained, I didnt have to freeze and it was actually very much nicer than most places I had been in as far as any home is considered."
Nope, I dont want my kids having to settle for a trailor that should be condemned or used for scrap metal but if you think thats suitable because the lack of jobs even for the educated, then thats your own willing mind to think that way. You must have stood a better chance in any way you went, offered more than what some are except for some knowledge on the facts of life apparently you have not experienced, good for you but who are you to condemn a person for what they are handed in life? ANYONE CAN FALL FROM GRACE! A FEW BAD WINDS OF LUCK, LAID OFF FROM WORK AND USE YOUR OTHER SAVINGS TO LIVE ON AND LETS SEE YOU IN PERSAY A YEAR AFTER DEALING THAT HAND? Its easier than most think to have to start all over again..

quote:
This type housing is a problem in most every community in America. Why do you think there is a lack of so called affordable housing? It is because most builders will not build them, the major national builders and some very large builders in metro Atlanta will tell you very quick, you cannot build low cost homes and make a profit. Only 1 or 2 counties in Metro Atlanta will allow a mobile home, even in a mobile home park. One of them, Dawson County, has such rigid restrictions that it is almost impossible to get a lot or land zoned for a mobile home.

Maybe you should check out Newton Co. and then theres a few places where mobile homes would make the houses look like junk.
Also one of the major mobile home dealers is in Jonesboro Ga. My grandparent bought one there is how I know. The place is still there and that was before I was even thought of.

As for Builders, well.. my husband builds and tho materials have went sky rocketing because the demands are being harder to keep up with being most is going out of the country, I think my husband gives a good rate. We arent sitting in poshness but all we look for is to live and survive and make sure that simple needs are met. Yeah tho, Ive heard of some asking way more than we have before all the insurance was a have to and now, I dont know if the builders are gonna pickle themselves into a glass jar or not because when they go up, there are only gonna be certain ones who can afford the homes.. and theres gonna be a few who will have to come down, I am sure.

quote:

I agree about industry and commercial establishments that pay better, I myself have had to work two jobs before to barely make it but as far as housing, I think Bville has the best its ever had and that is saying a lot. Better housing is hard to find when you have people who want real estate rental investments that they arent going to loose out on if some renter desides not to properly clean and maintain the residence. Rentals are very risky and the ones I know of, outside of apartment living, arent maintained by the owners properly anyways.. thats a really hard place to be at.. owning a rental and then renting a rental that is worth anything..
As for purchasing, I dont know how many make mortgage payments on anything that is offered to general employees around here without a second job. I dont know how the working class family as you call it can come up with 20% down of 200 grand and then make payments of persay 1500.00 a month with a family.. unless there is more than one working in a family.. then I still have to say thank you God for those who can make it.. thats not exactly the builders doings either but whoever puts the prices on homes around here! Could be a builder but who sets the estimated values?

quote:
In the same paper, under "letters to the editor", a lady was complaining about her family members moving to Atlanta because of low wages in Union County. She stated ," her niece got a WHOPPING
$15.00 per hour". This is one of the problems, a mindset that thinks $15.00 per hour is a whopping salary. No easy answers, but a start is EDUCATION,EDUCATION,EDUCATION. In todays marketplace, if you do not have a college degree you are destined to be a $15.00 per hour employee looking for "affordable Housing".

I didnt see where it specified ATL but I may have been destracted by some other article too that was just a wee bit off target, was it Atlanta cause Gainesville I hear pays the same as well and it is because they do double the work load that we do and can offer to pay more because of more funds coming in? Thats what I was told anyways when I considered bailor shifts at the hospital down there long ago. That would be more of a issue with what comes in at the medical offices and places here than just pay um to match what a enviroment that makes 3 times take in does... its just a no brainer.. I think the hospital and nursing home pay excellent and give great bonuses myself and I guess that goes back to - go where you are happiest but dont blame the community for you wanting more than is offered, blame standards.. isnt that a point you was making too? The poverty is nothing compared to whats on the streets in ATL. here.

quote:

Shucks

Again, we have nicer rentals and communitys than we had when I was growing up and I dont see many slum dwellings like I did when I was growing up depending on what you classify as slum dwellings? Blame the slum lords who charge the price of rent as a new dwelling payment. Dont blame the people who have to suffer thru the slum lords not properly maintaining what most people will pay good money to rent because that 20% down of 200 grand hasnt been yet made and saved due to their unexpected illnesses or raising their family.. Do you think anyone who moves into a trailor that is 30 yrs old and has not been caulked or maintained moves in with intentions of living their lives in such? Maybe a few but not many wanna and most of the times, the trailors rot til they are condemned and then people are forced to take the next door trailor cause they just cant seem to get ahead! If you havent walked in the shoes or at least tried them on, how can you sit and say anything? Ive walked in these shoes.. my first husband and I rented a trailor because we couldnt afford fancy and we could come up with the down payment to buy, we had no land.. we were young too yes.. and thank God for unanswered prayers..
The apartments I was raised at were really nice and even tho we had to sell out my pawpaws place because my grandmaws health and insurance coverage wasnt working the way it shoulda been, those apartments made a home for us and the love was there...
I agree there are people who if breathing didnt come natural, theyd die... in fact I am related to a few.. and there are people who will find any excuse to settle instead of improving but your post to me, was open to all instead of a select few.. and well.. I dont think anyone has intended to fall from grace or to have to settle but those who do, if they are happy, who knows that they arent happiest than anyone else.? NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, ATL, OR WHEREEVER, GOOD LUCK CAUSE ITS A DOG EAT DOG WORLD AND NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS FAIR BUT YOU CAN LEARN LOTS AND GROW MORE!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a young couple, they want to buy a first home, both have full time jobs in Blairsville, have to buy something between 85,000 and 100,000 to keep the payment to where they can afford to live, there is nothing here for them. They want a little frame home that in a couple years they would be able to resell and move up. Try to find a nice little place, not in a dumpy area for under $100,000 here, you just can't find it. If you go towards Dawsonville or Cumming there are many to choose from, so I have to agree, there is not much here to choose from even if you consider $100,000 to be affordable. We are pricing ourselves out of the market, younger folks will have to move somewhere else to get ahead not must for houseing but for employment too.

If you can't find a decent lot for under $40,000 then how in the world can you build an affordable home for under $100,000 with the cost of materials, it just can't be done, do the math. If a younger couple is lucky maybe they will aquire some "family" land to build on and be ahead of the game that way but not all are so lucky. So I guess that $15.00/hr sounds pretty good when someone is used to $8.00 or $9.00/hour.

I have to agree, education is the way to making a higher wage, but it's not going to help in Blairsville because there are few jobs available for college graduates. This is just a little town with service type jobs and no industry and I think that is why most people are moving here to retire and our younger ones are moving out. If that keeps happening this place will "die" out for sure !

Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  08:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree w/ somethin each of the previous posters on this issue have said.

I don't like articles like such that was in the paper. I think it's wrong to put a label on any type of housing. No one knows the other's true situation. The type of person who lives in that house should be more important than how their head is covered. Just my lil ole opinion of course.

There's good and bad things about B'ville growin. Sometimes I'm selfish about the growth b/c if you don't already have a house or land thru family/inheritance, etc. it makes it harder for people to be able to buy a house and/or land and the lack of jobs there are to help one pay for the the house/land/livin expenses are just not plenty.

Affordable housing? Just what you can afford, it's not really anybody else's business.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching HGTV last night - a show called "What You Get For The Money". The sum was $400,000 last night and they showed what you get for that amount in several different places for the money.

The largest home for $400,000 they showed was on the outskirts of Atlanta. The home was 3,900 sq. ft. and twice the size of what you got for the money elsewhere.

But the thing that shocked me the most, was the realization that $400,000 can't buy the type of house that was shown in Atlanta!!!

It was on one acre and the construction was very detailed. That house would go for $1,000,000 here!

That's ridiculous.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes...pretty amazing isn't it? I guess it's back to the old saying about "location, location, location" being the most important thing.

Affordable housing is becoming non-existent in all the "popular" places.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four years ago, my husband built his first spec house. It was small, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths on 1.3 acres with a decent mountain view. He built it with the same quality he puts in each house. The size was 1200 square feet.
The first person that saw it bought it, for $115,000, a brand new house!! We paid the r.e. agent $4000 because even tho she listed it, I sold it that week. So we got $111,000. We made a total of $7000 profit for almost one year's work.
We paid $22,000 for the lot.

Four years later, the cost of materials has tripled. Eveyone is forced to carry liability insurance so labor costs have gone sky high. To pay a roofer for 2 days to put shingles on a roof, went from $600 last year to $2500 this year. This insurance requirement is going to really hurt the building industry.

My husband is a licensed builder in North Carolina and this insurance is not required in that state, so building is much cheaper. Plus, I must say that the cost of land has more than quadrupled. We are in the process of buying another lot for a spec and we are now paying $80,000 for a mountain view lot.

How can we build an affordable house, when we have to pay $80,000 for a lot. The last basement we had put up was $22,000. So we are up to $100,000 with just a lot and a basement!! It is getting rediculous!!

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deb has had a manufactured home listed with Blairsville Realty since March, 4 years old. Her parents lived in it but wanted to move back to colorado and did. Acre lot, an all.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  3:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are lots and lots of houses on the market, but they just aren't moving!

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  6:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blairsville is AFFORDABLE! I moved from CT and a 1800sf house on 1/2 acre in a decent town is $300k! That is a place that is impossible to make it as a "average" young person. Most of my friends (late 20's early 30's)are making six figures and live a decent middle class lifestyle. We didnt want to be part of that rat race so we moved here. Its true that its harder to earn as much money here, but the truth is you dont need to! We pay $350 a year for homeowners ins. on our house and 7 acres. We paid almost $3000 a year up north. We also paid $4000k a year in property tax vs. $450 here! LIFE IS ABOUT 100 TIMES EASIER HERE! Earning a $10hr here means living in a ugly trailer and driving a crapy car (boo-hoo)! In CT it means having no car because tax, gas and all the fees of owning a car like 2k a year for minimum ins. make it un-affordabel..not to mention inspection would flunk many of the "affordable" cars like you see here. It also means living in a dangerous neighborhood. Blairsville is a place you can be poor and still have a decent simple life.

Anyone here who says they cant find an affordable house isnt looking. I was going to buy a under 100k fixer upper this winter here. Looked at several nice places in Murphy for 75k. These werent crapy homes either.

There is a big problem with no jobs for the "educated" That is a problem here. This is a great place for working class...someone like that would improve there lifestyle by moving here...but someone with an education would take a lifestyle hit if they moved here. BEING POOR SUCKS...BUT IF I WERE IN THAT PLACE ID RATHER BE HERE THAN MOST ANYWHERE! We arent rich..but live alot better than we did up north!

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  7:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam, CT is another world! I don't know who can afford to live there unless you are making mega bucks and working for some fortune 500 company, My friend moved there and can't find a thing and is so jealous of our prices here! Just a matter of of perspective I guess!

Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  9:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can say this, we bought our house in 2000, and it has MORE than doubled in value since then, that's just 6 years!!! Amazing! THANK GOD we bought when we did or we couldn't afford a thing now!! I lived in Atlanta and had a BIG nice home and it cost nothing compared to the little cabins and 2 bedroom homes in Blairsville. We went to the tour of homes in Atlanta and top of the line homes were priced around $500,000 and under, and these were VERY detailed, amazing dream homes. These same homes would cost well over 1 million here! So, is it really the cost of materials? How can they build one for so much cheaper than we can up here? I know even if you own your land it's gonna cost close to double to build here than it would elsewhere!

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope my two cents is able to find a place on this topic. We have our home for sale.On our last two trips to Florida I have been able to gather enough information about the housing here and there. I remember when the houses were much better constructed in this area of Georgia and much less expensive than they were where we lived in Florida (Tampa) That is not true anymore (don't shoot the messenger.)I can buy a house in a gated community,3000 sq.FT,5 bedrooms 4 baths 3 car garage,office,crown moulding throughout,1000 sq.ft. real hardwood floor, granite counter in the main bath and kitchen ,etc,etc.A house with this type floor plan is not built in this part of the country. Price $409,000.00 the same would cost at least $100.000.00 more here if it were available.Home owners insurance is between two and 3 thousand per year.Property taxes for me ,zero. To bad the climate here can't be taken to Florida. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  9:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam, ask how far apart they put studs.. ask what they use and get a materials list, compare to another and see where the cost is? Then turn around and call the harware and ask for a quote yourself!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  9:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They build for less near Atlanta because they mass produce. These big building companies buy in bulk, dont use subs, are efficent, and have little waste. They also need to make less profit per house.

WRJ
I may agree with you about quality of build in the stuff a decade ago, but the older stuff....my god! I have never seen so much poor construction...slightly better than a barn. Lots of junk being built now...Dont the builders here know how to build a masonary chimney?

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your builder did your rock work? Ummm sometimes its best to let professionals in a certain line of work do these things.. unless your builder has done that certain line of work over and over and,,.. over..

As for the houses being built poorly, if yall say that after having these inspectors, somethings wrong.. older ones, I agree after my aunt and uncle rented a cabin up here that was built in the 70s.. the electrical is what was scary!

Did any of you see those apartments as they were being built in town? As for slap um up and mass force goes.. I agree.. we are friends of some of the ones who started a unique place in south Atlanta and yes, they do buy in bulk but nope, I dont agree about the waste of materials for they would have piles of 2x8 PT thrown in a wood pile where the only thing they did was use them for bracing, they werent bent and they were in good condition.. lets not even mention sheetrock... hunny told the friend that that was a waste and he started watching it closely because after all, he was in a office in downtown ATL knowing anything more than the acht. and the builders he hired.. we had done work for him and his partners elsewhere..
We rode back and forth to ATL for right near 4 yrs looking at subdivisions and getting inspriations for whats goin and selling and yeah, for what we were gonna build before we bought this house.. and I just cant agree that these big companys dont waste.. specially when Ive seen many DIFFERENT job sites and yes, it made us sick because with what we had seen, you could salvage 3 houses and almost have enough for a shell.. yep!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the post on my original topic of "Affordable Housing" and appreciate your comments. Mr.Geiger stated that I knew nothing about "working class" people. I can understand how he came to this conclusion. However, let me set the stage so to speak.

I came from as "working class" family as anyone I know. I lived in one of the most rural and backward areas of Georgia imaginable. Every neighbor we had was a bootlegger. My father had a 5th grade education and my mother the same. She worked as a "linthead" in a cotton mill and my dad worked in the same and as a machinist at the old Bell Bomber plant in Marietta, Ga. We lived from paycheck to paycheck and sometimes no paycheck.

When I graduated from high school, I went to work in a pants factory pressing pants. I had to press 870 pair per day to make $48.00 a week. After 3 months of this I knew I had to do something different. I quit that day, and enrolled in West Georgia College the following week. I had to hitch hike daily to and from school. I was asked if I would play football and I recieved an "assistance scholarship". This is a scholarship where alumni and boosters shake hands with you after a game and lo and behold you have a 5,10 or 20 dollar bill. The dining room looked the other way when you came through for food. Books mysteriously showed up in your locker. I will always be grateful for these unknown benefactors.

In my 2nd year I contracted pneumonia after a game and caused damage to my lungs and I had to quit football. I went to work met my wife and bought a house. It cost $13,500 and the down payment was $700. We have owned and or constructed 7 homes since then.

During the following years I made some good decisions, some bad decisions but we made it.

The moral of this story is, no matter where you begin, with hard work and a lot of luck, making the right decisions, and education you can make it.

I fully realize that things are different today. It is tough on young couples. Housing cost in Blairsville are rediculous for what you get. Land and lot cost have been artificially generated by overpaying by individuals who have a lot of money to overpay on land. This has caused the entire land/home system to get out of whack.

Houses in Atlanta are cheaper because of mass building. It is not uncommon for one builder to builder 75 to 100 houses per year. Land cost will always prohibit any type affordable or low cost homes.

"The Great Speckled Bird"

Shucks

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  1:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Jenkins,you will find that my husband does build the type of houses you are talking about, crown molding and all. His problem is he does all the workmanship inside the house by himself, paint, trim, moldings, hardwood floor, tile, counter tops, cabinets, etc.
Many of the builders elsewhere use immigrant labor that work for low pay.
The cost of concrete in Atlanta was $80 a square yard, here we are paying $125 for the same concrete.
I agree, the cost of land has been driven up unbelievely in the past 4 years and I hope it comes down.
There is a home for sale on the market in highland falls, that is listed for 1.3 million. Maddy took a tour of it with the realtor.
when she asked who built it, it was my husbband.
He was on that house for about a year and a half, doing all the work himself. He made about $40,000 in wages for that year and a half, that incudes working all saturdays and sundays and most holidays including my birthday on Thanksgiving day.
So, I don't think the builders are making a killing, at least we aren't.
The cost to build that house in 2000 was about $400,000 plus the cost of the drive and landscaping.
Looks like they want to triple their money!!

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  9:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning when I checked the National Association of Homebuilders web site, the National Average Cost per sqft to build an average quality home, not custom with a bunch of upgrades, was $111.00/sqft

So if a builder buys the average lot in Blairsville for say $40,000 and he builds a 1500 sqft home or cabin for $166,500 now he has aprox. $206,500 into it, and he needs to make some profit, I mean nobody wants to come out even, so he adds something in for that, then most builders do not have time to mess around trying to advertise and market and show the spec home, most likely they are building the next one so then the real estate company needs to spend the money now to advertise etc and they have sky high costs and they don't work for free, and now that adds a bit more, now we are getting up there again in price. Affordable to some, not to others.

Younger folks or fixed income folks may not be able to afford the "average" house here, and Yeah it's cheaper to build in Atlanta for all the reasons you guys mentioned above !

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  08:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I for one, and this is just my take on the subject. I had a 2200 square foot house in Atlanta. Two acres of yard and as I get older I wanted to down size. I don't have people coming to stay with me anymore and I don't care for all the upkeep. I don't understant why folks keep building these big houses up here to "retire" in. I've had three friends build large houses and then sell them cause they were overwhelmed with upkeep.

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  11:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mac,I don't think that I will ever feel comfortable in a small house. In my family there were ten children(five boys five girls)the four older than me were sisters .Our house was three bedrooms and one bath.You can immagine what happened every morning.My first three years in the military were no improvement.I like the privacy and convience of a larger house. What I like most about a large house is that there is enough room for me to hide when my wife wants me to work. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  1:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have lived in everything from a college dorm to a rather large home. For living comfort, average sized 2500sf. is ideal to me. If I had kids...maybe more would be better. But any biger than that starts to loose a bit of comfort to me. Thats not to say I would mind building a monument to myself at some point...but I know after a time I would sell it and find "just the right size"
My father in law is building a 7500sf ranch (thats interior living space..not decks and stuff) with 10ft ceelings. Its awfull~ Fels like walking through a wherehouse. A big huse like that is OK on 2 floors...but bad on 1

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My house is 3200 square feet and just about right for me. i would like something a little smaller, but my husband wants to build a bigger house.
The cost to build a home here, now is about $110 a square foot and that is not a fancy house either. Unfortunely, there are so many houses for sale here, you can't just buy a plain $40,000 lot. Everyone wants a view, or to be on a creek, lake or river. When I bought my river front acre, it was $13,000. Now it is $250,000. Land has got to come down for cost of houses to come down.
We ae buying a lot that a chicken house use to sit on. The price, $80,000!

Go to Top of Page

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
From MAC:
Well, I for one, and this is just my take on the subject. I had a 2200 square foot house in Atlanta. Two acres of yard and as I get older I wanted to down size. I don't have people coming to stay with me anymore and I don't care for all the upkeep. I don't understant why folks keep building these big houses up here to "retire" in. I've had three friends build large houses and then sell them cause they were overwhelmed with upkeep.

I believe your answer is "on the money." Why do two people and a pet or two need more than 1500 sq ft or less to live in? Think of the heating and cooling cost savings in a smaller home. Think about the cleaning and upkeep in both time and expense.

Why not take the "extra" money you'd save and give it to a good cause or go on a missionary trip or go on a vacation trip or offer to underwrite a Habitat for Humanity house? Why not put that "extra" money in a trust for your grandchildren?

We come into the world with nothing and we'll leave it all here when we leave this world. So why not put some of what you'll leave to good use while you can enjoy giving it to others?

I think the USAmerican has an inflated sense of "need" for a single family dwelling and a piece of dirt called a lawn. I see dozens of self-employed people in lawn-care and few home-owners who actually do their own lawn work or plant their own flower beds. There are some and they usually belong to one or another of the Flower Clubs. But the majority of home-owners here are helping the economy by hiring low-paid yardworkers. (And just how many of you check to see if the yardperson is a citizen or a legally documented immigrant?) And they hire someone to clean the house where they use three rooms and close off the others.

I do not own. I rent. I am retiring and downsizing.

If the majority of homes here were around 1500 sqare feet, those wishing to purchase a home would be able to find an affordable house.

Honoria
Duty, Honor, Country

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  2:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thik a lot of people are forgetting to factor in the cost of a basement. Almost every house we have built, has had a basement. Basement's (poured walls) cost a fortune.
We are building a new house in Pinehurst. Originally it was to be 1800 square feet, but it does not cost that much more to finish the basement, which will double the size of the house. It is easier to get a decent price if the size is doubled. So, it will be 3600 square feet.
Personally, I think when you get the kids out of the house, you can build the house of your dreams. I have all white walls, white carpet, white furniture. I have the best bathroom I have seen in this area, complete with 22 foot high double trey ceilings!!

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy