New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Underage driving--Did you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DoC Said: "As for the driving underage, thats off topic but a good one to start! Raise your hand if you drove before you gotchya license? IM RAISING MINE!"

There you are, Daughter!

Careful folks, we have at least one officer on the forum!

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  7:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course I did and so does pc. Hehe Mac He dont drive in town though. He and his grandpa have a 56 Ford and he drives it all the time. He also drove the old Fiesta we had and grandpas pickup truck. Most people in this area learn to drive at a young age and had to drive at a young age. Tractors and farm trucks for example.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  7:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine are raised,but I drove only once.I think that one attempt caused my brother-in -law to become a christian.I believe that one the major causes of this countries social ills is allowing sixteen year old people to have a drivers license. The main reason is that sixteen year old people are rarely matured enough to accept the responsibility of freedom that a license and car ownership requires.I would raise the age to 18 and require drivers education and training. That's my opinion. WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  8:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did underage drinking, but no driving. I have friends who let their kids drive on their farm land but never out on the main roads.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  9:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! SNIGGERIN ON THIS! THANKS DAD.. AND PCM, HE LETS HIM DRIVE THAT CAR? OMY.LOL!

Mr. Jenkins, I am soo sniggerin but really agreeing with the 18 yrs old to drive too.. you have a very very good point!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  10:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I eventually got cought... it was a good thing I did too cause I was gettin a lil secure in the feelin I didnt need a license :O!

I started actually driving a Vette too! It was black and smooth.. 5 speed actually tho. Yeah FACTORY! WOW AY?

Yep she was smooth ,.... so smooth they just called her a Chevette! :)haha! Then was a feiro for a while, and then was a thunderchicken.. then I finally turned 15! Started when I was 12, drove alll over Nottley River camp ground... Believe it or not, I didnt get my actuall license till I was almost 19 and it wasnt because I was banned from getting cought.. my husband didnt want me having a license at 16!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  10:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dad wouldnt let me drive an automatic until I learned how to drive a straight shift on the column! Here sat a brand new camero but Noooo I had to learn how to drive something with a clutch....But ya know what? I am thankful for that today. Dad was making sure I could drive anything as long as it had wheels. I could drive a tractor and then when I was 16 he taught me how to back a trailer. Something I never forgot. So I am proud!

Ok, Raising hands on all underage everythings....Yep! I did!

This Friday Lil Man goes to get his driver's license. And I whole heartedly agree maturity plays alot in this. Our oldest got his at 16 and never worried me. Peachy got her learners at 18. She KNEW she wasn't ready or willing. So I commend her for that. And now Lil Man is going, well I will put it this way, he will be legal, but he wont be let loose! He just has hit puberty how can I trust him to manage a car or truck when he cant control his ownself! LOL! It's amazing what 6 months does ...But I am thinking approx 6 months he will be "kind of" ready to go out ...alone,,,,sometimes? He has a vehicle. But he is just now understanding he will have to pay for the insurance, the gas and the upkeep. We didn't GIVE to Big Boy so we are doing the same for Lil Man, He will have to work and show responsiblity in order to have or to keep. Thats been laid out on the line and he is beginning to understand that JUST BECAUSE HE is the baby, he isnt going to be pacified as one.

I let Peachy drive the backroads when she was 15, got surrounded by 3 cops. And ...Let's just say I wont do that again. I was getting my "Yes's" and "No'S" told me to me as if I didnt alreayd know them and then her she was about to freak out!

I agree with raising the age to 18. Mr Jenkins has a good point there! Possibly only a work allowed permit for younger if needed but other than that, 18!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  10:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't start driving until I was about 19! My parents were very strict and didn't allow me to drive. When I did learn to drive, I had to drive a 1956 Chevy (that car would make ANYBODY not want to drive)! After I worked for a while, I bought my own car, a 1966 Silver-blue Mustang! I LOVED that car!!!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  10:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mom! I love that car too! AND I AINT NEVER SEEN IT!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

murphy

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  06:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit murphy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I came from a huge family. Who had time to teach driving. I couldn't get drivers ed till I was a Senior in high school so I didn't learn to drive till I was 19. Never had anything to drive before that.But my kids growing up drove farm vehicles.And I probably don't want to know what else and where.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  10:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Murphy, my mawmaw Never was interested in driving. I think it was just part of the way she grew up? There was 10 of them kids living. I think times has changed lots from then but she always clarified that she didnt need to go anywheres that pawpaw couldnt go. lol
I dont know.. there was no reason for her not to but she just said she never needed to drive.. we walked lots tho. That was cool too! :) Good memories!

I wanted to drive when I was lil lil.lol And I had this helmet.. Id get in pawpaws truck and pretend all the time I was off to some big place..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truth be known, I think most of us country kids were drivin' years before we were 'legally' suppose to.
I started drivin' an automatic when I was 11 or 12, and 'advanced' to a 3 speed on the column when I was 14 or 15. And that old Bronco with the 3 speed, was my preference for weekend loaferin' when I finally got my license and was 'legal'!! :)

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In reference to what Tiopaz allowed ,I am convinced that country or rural children are more responsible in the operation of vehicles versus city slicker children.In all probability from exposure at an earlier age. That's my opinion WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  12:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I started driving from my Dad's lap as early as I can remember and then when I was old enough to touch the pedals myself, Dad let me drive on the back roads.

I let my kids drive some of the back roads now. I think it's good experience for them. I feel that if something happened and they HAD to drive somewhere to get help or something at least they could.

I had a friend who's daughter turned 15, got her learners license and had never driven anywhere. Let me tell you something, this child couldn't keep the car in the road, now she's 16 and her experience level is low and she's still not confident about driving. It makes me realize that kids do need some sort of driving experience before they get their license.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  5:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother let me start driving when I was 12 on the back roads. So many women her age did not drive back then. I drove for 2 years, then got my learners permit at age 14. That meant you could only drive in the daytime and only with an adult. So, I had 4 years experience before I got a regular driver's license. I think that helped a lot, I have never been in an accident. I see kids today, with a few days experience, then they get a license. (Like my neighbor who totaled 2 cars by the time he was 19) I was not allowed to leave the city limits, so I never drove over 35 mph!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Important Notice to All Teen Drivers and their Parents
4/18/2006

Effective January 1, 2007 there will be new requirements for class D driverís licenses

Are you familiar with Joshuaís Law? It is a bill that changes the requirements that teen drivers must meet in order to obtain a Class D driverís license starting on January 1, 2007.

To get a Class D driverís license at age sixteen (16):

You must have completed a driver education course approved by the Department of Driver Services and
You also must have completed a cumulative total of at least forty (40) hours of other supervised driving experience, including at least six (6) hours at night.
If you have not completed an approved driverís education course, you cannot get your Class D driverís license until you reach age seventeen (17). Remember, forty (40) hour of driving experience, including six (6) hours of driving at night, is always required for a Class D driverís license.

2005-2006 State of Georgia Department of Driver Services
Privacy Statement

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  06:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never drove till I got my learner permit at 15.

I agree with Mr. Jenkins about the need to change the age to obtain a license to 18. This is a new belief for me, and I'll go further and say the kids now are not nearly as responsible as they were 20 years ago. Think about it most parents now are still handling kids lives well up into their 20's. Most still live at home and act like kids.
Most of us were working at 16 and paying our own way. Most guys were in the service at 18. An the public preception that "no one is responsible for their actions" anymore. Its always someone elses fault. Population has exploded and congested roads to the point its too dangerous to turn a 16 year old loose with a car.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  02:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Lil Man has his license. He done well! (And the tint wasn't legal and that state patrol didnt say a word) Did you know insurance goes up 4 times on the vehicle that they are primary driver of. Yeah! I had forgot about that when Big Boy got his. Lil Man will be having to pay for his. He has two part time jobs. (dont worry he has PLENTY of play time for those who are offended by children working) Well, I have to say God gives us our children young for a reason. If I was in my 30's or 40's raising itty bittys I would be in an Instituation! Ok, Two graduated. One to go. 3 with License's now and ....Next comes >???? what? Marriage? Oh Me!

(about the 4 times the norm...I will give an example...If you are paying 50 a month for just collision, then it will go to approx 200 and thats with the Drug Awareness Program testing and Good Student! So ya'll start saving now, I am tellin' ya it gets more costly as times goes by!)

Hotdawg

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  02:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hotdawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lil man congrats native next time on that tint stuff ask them nicely to take their shades off then they could see

Hows This Gonna Work If You Dont Do As I Say. Charlie Wade "Open Range"

STS 121 GodSpeed

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  09:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL! Well they have one of them thar devices Dawg. So I couldnt argue tooooo much! LOL! I just told Lil Man to make sure his windows were down. LOL!

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  4:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You almost have to drive before you get your license, how else would you learn how to drive? My mother taught me for 4 years, then I took driver's education before I took the test. The kids i see on the road today, drive much to fast for new drivers!!

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy