New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Walmart and Commisioner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  09:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here we are in the on again and off again Walmart. Now the Commish is saying keep the money in the county andthat We need the Walmart.Now he decides we need the Walmart after 6 years of on again and off again with them. In back issues of the NG news statements were made to the effect that Walmart would come in over his dead body. Well he is still around. Is this change of heart because he has caused our taxes to skyrocket. Does anyone remember all the hassle before, when Walmart had a place and intended to put their store here? The Walmart would have been here if the previous commissioner (Cook) had been re-elected.

rmreed

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said to Maddy the other day when we visited, "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

Jeepbuddy

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I think Commissioner Paris has been doing an outstanding job under difficult circumstances. And I'm not related to him nor do I work for him or the county. I just follow the politics of Union County and considering the divergent viewpoints of the citizens and the fine line he needs to walk, I think he is rather extraordinary.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." FDRGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  5:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with jeep.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  8:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Id hate to be in any office where the finger is gonna always come back at me regardless. Trying to please everyone seems easy? Nah, it is not easy.

Wether Lamar is at fault for us not having Wal Mart yet or not is not an issue to me.. there is one thing about them offices.. they dont last forever and any other Commish has had many oppertunitys to do as much as Lamar.. they just didnt.. so now they are out and now Lamar is in.. so many have raised cain over us not having alcohol, look at us now.. we just might get it.. and even now, we just might get that Wal Mart and who is in office at this time? Its just not really major to me if he held back or is givin it all hes got because hes gotten us more than we had 10 years ago already.. I eat my words that I was unsure about him being commish long ago. Hes doing better than most would do. I dont think anyone can keep the whole county happy and supply everyones needs cause they are all different.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  9:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being in the position of making decissions that effect so many positively or negatively is no job for me!

God grant them peace at night!

Walmart or no, alcohol or no, I will still smile in the morning!

I love Blairsville either way!

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  08:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original issue with the first deal with Walmart was the proposed land they were going to use, this land was not intended for commercial use by those who the land was purchassed from at a very reduced price.

The second issue was that many people didn't (and still don't) want a Walmart here.

I shop at Walmart about 4 or 5 times a year so it is of no great advantage to me. I can buy almost anything I need here in Blairsville now. I usually but my jeans, underware and socks at Walmart as well as some of my odds and ends hunting stuff.

I just hope it doesn't bring anymore traffic to the area, it's hard enough to get out in the road now.

whyGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  08:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad for the homeowners in the Orchards. Their value will go down, down, down.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  9:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the Orchard? Is it near the site they are planning to build the new Wal-Mart?

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
off the "k" road about a mile from where that evil empire will hopefully not be!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  9:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave the UCDA and the Commissioner a copy of "How Wal*Mart is Destroying America (and the World) And What You Can Do About It" by Bill Quinn. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. You should be able to get or order a copy from the Book Nook.

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  9:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought 50 copies of that book & sold out on them! Gave one to Lamar & I still don't know if he read it or not. Did you Lamar???

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I will pass.

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Gray, are you not wanting to know or accept the truth?

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  7:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which "Truth"?

The "I hate Wal-Mart" Truth?
The "I love Wal-Mart" Truth?
The "I'm thankful to have a job at Wal-Mart" Truth?
The "I'm thankful to be able to afford to buy food, clothes or toy, etc. at Wal-Mart" Truth?
The "I just love to shop at Wal-Mart" Truth?

GrayEagle

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  7:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you know there actually is a club called I Hate WalMart over in Yahoo groups. The comments come from employees who greeted customers with "Welcome to Hell*Mart" and never got caught at it. Employees who were told to clock out and continue working until released by their supervisor/floor manager. Employees who were told they would have insurance after 24 consecutive months of 28 hour weeks, only to be cut to "part time" at less than 28 hours a week when they were nearing their 24 month mark. Employees who were subjected to humiliation, but because they had bills to pay, had to keep their jobs.

Wal*Mart is not a panacea for any town in which they inhabit. One of the first things they DEMAND is as many freebies as possible -- tax breaks, environmental over-rides, utilities brought to them at no cost. And what do they offer? They bring in their own supervisors and hire peons at minimum or just over wages and work them 27 hours a week or less. They put their money in a local bank OVERNIGHT and then it's moved to Benton, Arkansas where it's used by their banks (Wal*Mart is in the banking business, too.) There's no way a local bank can make money from money deposited in their bank less than 12 hours.

They also hire illegal aliens to do their cleaning. And I know you all want more illegal aliens moving to Blairsville.

As for the quality of their goods, it's been declining since the death of Mr Walton. More and more of their clothing is made in third world countries at inconceivable wages and is of poor quality.

But if you want cheap plastic items, Wal*Mart's your place.

Honoria

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  8:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WALMART IS A GREAT PLACE TO SHOP. THERE IS MORE THAN 1 WEBSITE OUT THERE ABOUT WALMART. NOW IF I HAD A BUSINESS AND IT WOULD BE MY COMPETETION, I GUESS I WOULDNT BE HAPPY EITHER.. BUT REGARDLESS, THOSE WHO SHOP THERE NOW, ARE THE ONES WHO CANT AFFORD THE OTHER STORES OR MAYBE WALMART HAS A BIGGER VARIETY TO OFFER FOR ONE STOP SHOPPERS. I THINK ITS HIGH TIME WE GOT A WAL MART. WE GET BOOZE, WE GET WAL MART... I FEEL ITS AN EVEN TRADE OFF... FAIR ONE AT THAT.

AS FOR BOOKS ON HOW TO HATE WALMART, THERE AINT ONE STORE HERE IN BVILLE I AINT HEARD SOMEONE SAY THEY HATED OR COULDNT AFFORD IF NOT SAID SOME INSANE OR SANE SOMETHING ABOUT THE WAY ITS RAN, OR WHO OWNS THIS OR THAT.. WELCOME TO SMALL COUNTY USA! FOR EVERY BAD, THERE IS GOOD COME FROM IT.. REGARDLESS! MAYBE NOT TO YOU, BUT YOU ARENT THE ONLY ONE IN THE COUNTY AT THIS TIME AND PERSONALLY, I AINT NEITHER! I AM PROBABLY ONE OF THE VERY FEW THAT ARE LOCALS WHO WANT THE PLACE HERE!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  8:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IVE NOT ONLY BOUGHT PLASTIC FORKS THERE, BUT I ALSO HAD A PLASTIC EMPLOYEE CARD WHEN I WORKED THERE, THEY NEVER DID ME WRONG. THEY WERE GOOD TO ME.. AND MY FELLOW EMPLOYEES IN WHICH MOST STILL CHOOOSE TO WORK THERE AND I HAVENT WORKED THERE SINCE 1993. THE ONLY REASON I QUIT WAS TO MOVE TO A BIG CITY AND HAD A JOB IN WAITING.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  8:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very correct about the banking situation. In one day, out the next.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  8:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
They put their money in a local bank OVERNIGHT and then it's moved to Benton, Arkansas where it's used by their banks (Wal*Mart is in the banking business, too.) There's no way a local bank can make money from money deposited in their bank less than 12 hours.

And other national stores don't do something like this? If I had that kind of money coming into my national chain store, I would consolidate all the funds coming in as soon as possible. Something to do with accounting, payrolls, purchasing (re-stocking), expanding, and so on. Yeah, think I would do the same thing.

GrayEagle

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  8:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they do Gray.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.Go to Top of Page

shucks

2145 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  9:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post and just wanted to weigh in on the Wal Mart issue. First of all let me say I will be extremely happy to get a Wal Mart in Blairsville. Who knows I just may see some "closet Wal Mart shoppers" there from time to time.

To make myself clear, I do speak with some experience on this subject.
Wal Mart does not "owe" anyone health insurance, 401K's or any retirement benefits. It is the individuals responsibility to provide these items for their family and personally. Most major corporations such as Delta, IBM, G.E, G.M, Ford, have either removed or changed the way retirement is figured so that employees only get 1/3 rd of what was originally projected. This is a world economy and companies are having to compete. Corporations owe their allegiance to the stockholders, not their employees.

Someone posted recently talking about a book blasting Wal Mart. Go to any large bookstore and you can buy a book on most anything,pro and con. This book is just for sensationalism and how do you know what is the truth? I have read the book and I think most of it, if not all, has been spun out of control with very little documentation of the "alledged" facts.

Vendors scream about how they are treated. Who cares how they are treated! It is obvious they must like it because they keep coming back and are lined up at the door in Bentonville to sell their wares. If you cannot sell your product so that you make a profit, then don't approach Wal Mart.

Mom and Pop stores and small business owners do not get forced out by Wal Mart, they go out of business because of product line, location, pricing and lack of business ability and no business model. 97% of all new businesses and small businesses fail within the first 3 years. Wal Mart has nothing to do with this, it has always been a truth.

The subject was mentioned about Wal Mart sending the money out daily. That is normal business practice, all major companies do this. It is called the "float" and maks millions of dollars for corporations. this is no new revelation.

Wal Mart employees are hired to do a job. They know the rules going in and they choose to work there. Georgia is an "at will" state, meaning you can quit your job at any time and a company can fire you at any time without giving you a notice or reason.They can fire you if they don't like the way you comb your hair and yes, if you have a tattoo ( that is a topic I will address later ).

Wal Mart is probably the most successful business model in history. They do more for the common good than any negatives that arise. So lets hopefully welcome Wal Mart and enjoy the shopping experience. No, I do not own stock in Wal Mart, I just see the future growth coming and believe me it is better to welcome them than to fight because they lose very few legal battles.

Ain't America Great!

Shuck N' Jive

Shuck N' Jive

ShucksGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  11:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I liked your reply Shucks. You seem to know more than most do and you pinpointed it exactly as it was and is, from your stand point.

We have a factory just above my house, well, the whole neighborhood went to heck in a hand basket so to speak over this. Ohhh there are going to be too many trucks! And ohhhhh there going to have "run off" from there place to ours. Well then came the day that they were doing a petition to keep it out. They (a few part-time partimers) called me wanting me to group with them and sign this petition to keep this company out or from being put where it was going to be put. I quickly told them, NO, I would not. Blairsville was in desperate need of employment at the time. Most of the factories had shut down. Men and women were having to take classes just to get a "normal" job here in this town. I wasnt there favorite person, but I wasnt going to stop a building from being put on this road just because of Big Trucks and such! (Stupidity)....So today, the place is good employment. As far as I know, the workers are paid well. Skilled operators for certain positions, and schooling involved for other job positions. So, with all that blah blah said, BRING WALMART ON! People need work! Others dont want to have to or cant afford to pay for the gas to go to Elijay or Murphy. This isnt just for the retirees, this land is full of able to work souls who would be blessed and thankful to work for Walmart! I support it ALL the way!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own stock in walmart, but I am certainly having mixed feeling about one in blairsvlle. I guess I am just old fashioned and don't want change. (Plus I would spend too much money there) Now a Publix, I would love!!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coosa, You may be Old Fashioned but you must want change. Walmart is minor compared to all the other things going on.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  9:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest Scoop on the Wal*Mart is that it's going to be more 'grocery store' and carry a minimum of the usual Wal*Mart items.

AND to top that off -- I hear Publix is buying property here to build a grocery store.

Blairsville UCDA can't draw in anything more exciting than another grocery store. Time for some of them to cash in their chips and move on over for some people who are willing to bring in businesses to compete with those the current UCDA owns or has stock in or is silent partner of.

Just my opinion, Honoria
(oops)

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy