New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 Wal Mart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  01:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is Target speaking to?

They can come to Towns if they want. I'll bake them a cake.

I'll make a deal with you all, Target can come to Towns, but we'll put them near the Towns/Union county line, just to do you all a favor.

Maybe we'll throw a Publix into the deal too.

Ha!

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont kid yourselves, Brasstown Bald is more likley to be swept away by a flood than a Traget coming here.

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  08:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam, I have to disagree, who would have thought we would have the big orange box in our town? The local building supply guys said it would never happen, the owners of the Hallmark store 10 years ago had to fight to get one here, they said the demographics would not support it, that's a laugh! The only Gold Crown Hallmark store within 80 miles of any other was and has been one of the best producing stores since it opened!!!Talking to management at the Riverstone Red Lobster, they want in here bad, just waiting for the right moment, so don't think that it's not coming, it's just when.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never been in a target in my life, must be nice. Just give me Publix and I would be happy. The only thing I like shopping for is food!

Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  12:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was and still is silly of anyone to think that major chains, or more growth for that matter, are not comin to B'ville. Take a look at it now. Some may think it doesn't have much and needs more but in reality it's got a lot. Careful what you wish for. Can't take it back once it gets here. It's awful. Just look around. It happens. No one can control the growth once it's gotta hold and it's already grippin B'ville.

Edited by - JawJa Gurl on 06/28/2006 12:29:47 PMGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  12:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree Jawja. I cannot wait for the ethnic versitilaty to come here. I'm all for a rainbow of colors here. Maybe that will calm the natives down thinking that this is their town.
Walmart will help with that, since they have to hire a % of ethnic people. It will be great in that respect.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  2:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think we wont get major chain stores...We defiantely will and have.

Its just that I have never seen either Red Lob or Target anywhere in my travels other than in places that are pretty urban. The kind of growth that would take take 30 years or more. I would hardly consider Target "high end", but there target market is definately not here. There are maybe a few thousand folks who fall into their market around here.

Its scary, the Avg. HOUSEHOLD income for the city of blairsville is only $14,120 ($31,893 county) and the state average is $41,950 Woodstock was $58,500. This is on average is a rather poor place.

Granted, these are 1999 numbers, and we have become wealthier, but you get the idea. This isnt a place where people need leather jackets for dogs like target sells. Its changing, but it will take time.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if the area has plenty of poor people, don't they shop at Wal-Mart? What would prevent them shopping at Target?

Wal-Mart tends to locate a lot of their stores in rural areas where people have little choice. That would skew the income statistics. There is no Target to compete with them in those areas.

The other possible reason for an income disparity between Wal-Mart and Target is the factor of "taste level" possibly affected by education to some extent. Target's products are more carefully designed and well thought out.

But there is NO financial reason a poor person would be stuck going to Wal-Mart. It's not like Target is less affordable. It's still a discount store. They just do "discount" with more quality and style.

Target also markets themselves in upscale magazines, which Wal-Mart doesn't.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  8:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Wildflower you're so right!
I can tell you what my best friend, who is a realtor & had contacted Targets demographic team & corporation said last year. They looked at the proposal that she put together for them & the site where she had a listing on out 515, very close to where this blue crap may be going. They said it's just not that populated up here & the demographics are not here. They want to see Bed, Bath, & Beyond, old Navy, Office Max, etc before they'd even think about breaking ground up here or any other small town.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, I agree Jawja. I cannot wait for the ethnic versitilaty to come here. I'm all for a rainbow of colors here. Maybe that will calm the natives down thinking that this is their town.
Walmart will help with that, since they have to hire a % of ethnic people. It will be great in that respect.
The "Rainbow" is already here. Won't bother me.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me either! AND I AM ONE OF THOSE WHO WILL PICK UP THOSE FREE PHONE BOOKS IN ATL. WHEN WE STOP AT THE GAS STATIONS AND NEVER EVEN KNEW WHAT THE RAINBOW WAS (CEPT COLOR CHARTS AND RAINBOW BRITE, I JUST ADORE HER, SHE WAS MY FRIEND FOR MANY YEARS) BUT I PICKED ME UP ONE THEM PHONE BOOKS AND TOOK IT TO MY WORK SO WE WOULD HAVE ONE FROM THE GREATER ATL. AREA THAT WAS UPDATED AND I TELL YA, I LEARNED WHAT THAT RAINBOW WAS AND AT LEAST I GOT TO HEAR SOME GIGGLES THAT DAY CAUSE I HAD NO CLUE!! RAINBOWS ARE PERDY!

AND I PICK UP THEM FREE CAR TRADER LIKE BOOKS TOO EVEN THO I AM CAR POOR!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 06/28/2006 11:39:59 PMGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  07:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, I really must be having a blond moment because I have no clue what you're talking about girl!! LOL I know the doll, but huh?

Native, until you've lived in a major city, like Atlanta or Chicago, or NYC, you've not experienced a diversity of people. And, no blairsville doesn't already have that. The census shows that and it's one of the things I miss about not living in Chicago. (just one!)

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  08:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O MY, We are goin south in a few weeks and Ill see if that gas station still have them books and Ill drop it to you on the way back thru.

Its a regular phone book but its got the rainbow (or did have) and a word called pride on it, now to someone who aint lived outside of Bville for a long period of time, youd think,... AWWW! but its quite puzzling what that means unless YOU OPEN THE BOOK UP and I didnt do that, I threw it in my back floor board for the following day at work. Then I was educated at work about what it meant! Not that I am against it! Nope, Id have to be against my brother and regardless what he chooses or myself, he is still my brother and I still his sister.. and we love one another.. ANYHOW! I aint never knowd my brother or my friends who are RAINBOWS as you or whoever said to shop at Wal Mart! Nah, I aint.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Wal-mart had decided to go to Cleveland, isn't that where they chose?

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WF, I'll trade you and Towns County a Walmart or Target for one good BBQ place if you can find one. Towns County would be a good place for Walmart, then I could go over there if I wanted to pick something up I couldn't find in B'ville. You're right about Target being a better store but they do not have as good a variety of sporting goods, hardware or autmotive. Their clothing and household good are of better quality than Walmart for the most part.

whyGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH MY DOC!!! I didn't mean the "gay pride"!!! LOL I'm talking about minorities. Sorry! All races!!

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When everyone starts speaking spanish, I am moving!! The last time I went to Miami, I could not order a hamburger at Wendy's because I did not speak spanish!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  11:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the matter, Why?

You don't like Rib Country?

There is always the BBQ place in Dillsboro and it's a nice drive. http://www.dillsborosmokehousebbq.com/

It is better than Rib Country, but I don't mind Rib Country at all. I go there happily.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maddy,

You got that right. There is hardly any diversity here at all.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  1:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there aint been but boy have we came a long ways from when I was even a kid.. some of us have been shown diversity.. and some of us know how to cope with change. Some dont. Aventually people learn to adjust and cope. Other than that, what is the next best thing for one to do when they cant?

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  05:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

More fuel for thought.

Union county has a 1/2% sales tax added to every dollar spent in the county. I believe its title is SPLOT. Sorry, I don't remember what that stands for. This tax may be renewed by the voters each 5 years.

Now for my thought:
If Wal-Mart takes in an average of $400,000 in sales each week of the year, that amounts to 400,000 X 0.005 = $2,000.00 per week of added SPLOT or $104,000 per year. BTW, I think $400,000 in sales is low.

Is that all new income? No, some will come from other businesses who lose income because of Wal-Mart. But all the money that is going to other counties AND states will be staying in Union county.

What about other tax income that is generated? I'm not sure if the county as another/more sales tax, but if it does, that money may also increase.

I won't even get into those who need work and will have jobs....

BUT THIS ALL HINGES ON THE COMMISH NOT CUTTING A TAX DEAL WITH WAL-MART! That is a possibility that should be looked in to.

Oh well, that is my 1/2% of thought.

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!

I find it interesting that no one commented on the tax income issue.

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  09:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this county was interested in tax money they would have sold beer and wine like Fannin county. I don't know how long they have had beer and wine sales in Blue Ridge, but it has been at least 25 years! We are so far behind!!

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  5:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read an artical on Target, it seems that 3/4 of their profit came from their credit cards, interest, late fees, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  2:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was forced to go to Wal-Mart on Saturday, because one item would have been nearly impossible to find elsewhere on a weekend.

They've finished remodeling the store.

They rearranged and moved some of the departments and put up new signage and pictures. It does look fresher, neater, and more "designed", for a Wal-Mart that is.

I do declare, I think they might be trying to compete with Target!

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060722/BIZ/607220404/1001

If there were any faux-wood floors, they were only in the entry.

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy