New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 Wal Mart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  5:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you think??

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  5:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wal-Mart

SUCKS

your town dry!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  5:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to go to Walmart simply because the store is so big however I enjoy the grocery shopping it offers and I love the fact that everything is under one roof. You dont know how many times pc wants something that they dont have around here. He gets mad because we cant just up and go to Walmart. I hope it does come here.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

swtsue

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I so hope that walmart does come here. As far as hurting local stores, they haven't had my business anyway because of their higher prices. I like doing all the shopping at the same place & at a lower price. When its built I wll go. I will also be doing the dance of joy.

Some have senior moments. I have intellectual interludes.Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I need to go now. Pc's birthday is coming up and guess where I do birthday and Christmas shopping. You guessed it...Walmart.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A separate topic for Wal-Mart?

Well, I go there sometimes out of pure necessity because sometimes there are no alternatives in a small town.

However I hate Wal-Mart.

Like Maddy, I hate their strong-arm tactics with eminent domain issues, health coverage, pay, vendor policies . . . all extensively documented.

Aside from all that, I've never liked shopping there because of the way they are physically set up. They are ugly stores with unpleasing layouts. Some of the merchandise is decent, but some of it is junk. So you really have to watch it.

They also are not necessarily the cheapest prices on a given object in spite of their reputation.

I would prefer to have a Target. Much better merchandise at low prices and better store design and layout. It's like a department store with Wal-Mart prices.

Considering we don't really have a department store, Target would fulfill that need. And I don't feel I have to worry about quality issues there because they are more committed to providing it than Wal-Mart is.

It would be nice not to have to drive to Murphy too.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  4:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really want wal mart cause I spend too much when I go there. I really don't need any more "stuff"

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  07:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought...(was hoping!!) that this was a done deal, but after reading the paper, sounds like it's still 'iffy'...??
Anyways, when it finally does arrive in Bville...
SwtSue, I'll do the Dance of Joy with ya!!

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Give me a Target and a Publix and life would be just about perfect.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  2:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O I CANT WAIT! I CAN GET ME ONE THEM SMILEY STICKERS AND THE KIDS CAN TOO WHEN I GO TO BUY THE HAIRDRYER OR THE VYNAL POOL SUPPLIES AND GROCERYS AND GET MY TOENAILS DONE AND MY EYES CHECKED ALL IN ONE STORE! WOO HOO! AND I CAN GO LATE AT NITE AND GETRDONE!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  3:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to Walmart today to get pc's birthday presents. Picked up the wrong shorts and if IF Walmart was closer I would consider returning them for the right size. But I'm not about to make that trip again just to return a pair of shorts.

AlphaDraconis

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  3:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlphaDraconis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With my current car and where I used to live in Blairsville, returning those shorts would probably cost $12! Kind of eats into Wal-mart's discount at that point.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  11:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya wanna borrow mine? :) I put 100.00 in it the other day and did not even get a full tank of gas! BUT ITS THAT OR A BUS WITH MY KIDS AND I wont complain to awful bad.. ;)

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

AlphaDraconis

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  11:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlphaDraconis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I was probably dreaming in my numbers though, since I was figuring $3/gallon gas and 15 miles per gallon. The gas is cheaper at the moment, but I doubt I get that many miles when I'm not driving downhill both ways.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  11:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O I can relate! The curves up here eat it up and specially hills.. eik! Do you have a suv? My lil Eclipse (GOD BLESS IT) was really good on gas and I coulda afforded to go to wal mart and take stuff back with it but I am soo with PCM,... driving the mobile home on wheels.. I wouldnt take something back unless I was goin there anyhow.. or if it costed an outragous fortune!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

AlphaDraconis

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  11:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlphaDraconis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not an SUV, just a truck. Just means fewer people can ride with me while I mortgage my gas bill.

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  02:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be awfull! I like walmart, But I like it not in my town! It will knock out some stores, and prevent many more from opening in the future and divert traffic away from an already crapy downtown. Think of all the people who would buy their food there, never going downtown! That is a very real blow to this town yall claim to love so much. It will do nothing positive for Blairsville in the long term. Its a Fools paradise.

Go to Top of Page

knittygritty

121 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  11:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if anyone wants to know what I think of Walmart....just shop like you normally do. Shop at all the small shops in Blairsville as you usually do...and continue to shop at Walmart as you usually do. After all, you will be able to save a little gas money. That may not seem like much of a savings to some, but it is to many folks in our area. I remember the days when we had several factories in Union County that have long been gone to other locations. If we could get a Walmart it sure would be nice for locals to get a job. Right, it may not be the highest paying job, or one that many of you would want, but it will feed the family. I have a wonderful job that I love....one that I worked my tail off to get...and one that I am very proud of. However, I have not forgotten my younger days when I worked at the sewing factories here in Union County. The pay was not great, but we fed our family without outside help. Everyone in Union County is not rich! Most folks here do not demand the designer labels and fancier things in life...they are quite content with simpler things...therefore, they are able to find what they need at Walmart.
Yes, I do shop in Atlanta and at the malls on many occasions....however, I was born and raised right here in Union County and am happy with simplicity. I know that a Walmart would change some things, but could offer too many opportunities to pass up. Not to mention what the tax money could do for our schools and the county's precious children!! My opinion is not intendended to offend anyone....but, we need to think of everyone in our county, and not just the ones that can afford to shop at all the more expensive shops. After all, like I said earlier, why should you stop shopping at your favorite small shops in Blairsville. I too, would hate to see them go under because of Walmart. Just my thoughts!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  11:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Walmart has good benefits for their employees also. Their insurance is good. They have different plans to choose from but the ones I've had to call on, were excellent. Yes, knittygritty, you are right. This town needs employment for others. Since most were not born with a silver spoon in their mouth or a Dr's degree in ???? then employment is a must for most. And most can't own their own companies to provide. I am all for it. The funny thing about this one is, the ones who DON'T want it, are move-ins and the ones who DO WANT it have always lived here! LOL! Some things never cease to amaze me.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think thats a good point nativelady. Most all new residents have chosen to make b-ville their home. They could have lived anywhere (no real roots here) but saw b-ville as as close to perfect as possible. Makes sense they dont want to see change. A few nice restaurants are a nice addition, Walmart will be a real change! Kind of ironic that newcomers are blamed for wanting to change the place one day, and not wanting to another. (just and observation..not directed at anyone)
I dont know if the argument for jobs holds water. There are definately more jobs here in Union than 10 years ago. I would think anyone who lost a job after a factory closing, should have been able to find work if they are employable. Lets face it, with 6% unemployment.....I know there are at least 6 in 100 working people who are utterly useless! LOL! Every employer ive spoken to in B-ville has said they cant find decent help. Im convinced that anyone who has a work ethic and dosnt bring baggage to work (walmart will tolerate less B.S. than small places) can find a job low paying job here. (except maybe seniors) Heck, I called a painter offering to do some sidework and he offered me $14hr. to work for him. Many jobs will be lost as other places close because of Walmart. We will only see a net gain of maybe a few dozen jobs. Id rather see no jobs lost in town, and several dozen folks here drive to a Blue Ridge walmart.

We all have our opnions, I really hope we dont get a Walmart here. A net gain of a few dozen jobs that I feel are only NEEDED by seniors isnt worth the damage it will cause to Blairsville. Downtown will become even more useless, just antique shops and such.

Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  1:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PLEASE.........WAL-MART COME TO BLAIRSVILLE!!!!!! IT WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY!!!!

I'M A PROUD WALMART SUPPORTER!!!

Edited by - samantha_blue on 06/25/2006 1:45:39 PMGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  5:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Walmart has good benefits for their employees also. Their insurance is good. They have different plans to choose from but the ones I've had to call on, were excellent.

Lady, I find that very interesting considering some of the comments some anti-wal-mart'ers make about the benefits Wal-Mart has! Glad to hear it from someone who seems to know.

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  8:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I DID think of locals who need jobs. That's why I said I'd like to see a Target, instead of a Wal-Mart.

I DID ask myself which one I would prefer to work at if it was necessary.

And I DID ask myself which one would be more beneficial for the community.

If you are looking at benefits, Publix and Target will beat Ingles and Wal-Mart any day.

As far as the "anti-Wal-Mart" group, we are not pulling information out of thin air. There is so much documented about Wal-Mart and there are many communities across the country that have been opposed to having one.

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  8:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neither was the person whom I quoted.

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  10:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What other companies is she comparing Wal-Mart health insurance to? And do the people she talked to represent the majority of Wal-Mart employees?

Here is a Wikipedia link - scroll down to read the section on the State of Georgia study:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart_Employee_and_Labor_Relations

Interesting that they compared statistics for the two largest employers in Georgia - Publix and Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart fails miserably compared to Publix.

To be fair, there is some complaint that jobs at Target don't pay much either. However Target contributes a great deal of money to their local community (including the school system), so that fact alone makes them better than Wal-Mart.

Wikipedia on Target: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation

I am FOR opportunities for folks around here.

You never know what is going to happen to you in life, and I would not want to live in a community that would choose the worst choice available . . . in case I should ever need to work there myself!

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  10:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some facts for when or if Wal-Mart comes to our town...
http://walmartwatch.com/img/documents/battlemart_docs/WhatHappensWhenWalMartComesToTown.pdf

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy