New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Blairsville Downtown Development
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think of those as "fake" downtowns....kind of like a movie set. We have a number of those in FL. They are built to look Mediterranean or like a 1950's type downtown. Nothing is real and frankly they creep me out.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just think, if we had a great downtown area, that Robert Redford & Paul Newman would be hanging out while filming the movie, "Walk in the Woods". (the are, & they are scooping VA & WVA area.)

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  6:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember that growth is inevitable and to try and prevent it is counter-productive. The best thing the people of Blairsville can do is get together and work toward a common vision. Shape the growth to what YOU want for YOUR community, not what best lines the pockets of a few developers.

You need to work with the new hire. She is a resource for the community!

Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, electra!

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like what they've done with the building across from the tire shop in town...NICE!!
Makes the old Chevy place look even worse now...

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it needs some cute little eating places downtown. Too bad the old lightening place wasn't turned into a restaurant.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think those who believe that Wal-mart is soooooo wonderful should ask them to fork out some cash for our downtown revitalization. They are soooo community orienated, bring the dough on wallyworld!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  12:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Topaz, I agree, they have really fixed that strip mall up!!

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would indeed be a good idea to approach Wal-Mart once they got here for community development and contributions: <click for more info>

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  08:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the type of thing that I would like to see happen for Blairsville.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/072306/news_20060723023.shtml

An event like this could get the people of Blairsville together and thinking about the big picture. It is time for citizens to get involved in the planning process!

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to start a heated debate with this, but do you wonder why more people DON'T get involved with projects like this? Maybe it's because of the mentality of many who don't want change and fight it from happening. They do what they want to do and no one can speak up about it. Look at the group some used to belong to. I know another man who was in it. (citizens for a brighter u.c.) or something like that. Threats, threats, & more threats. I only hope & pray that this is different.

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't want to start a heated debate with this, but do you wonder why more people DON'T get involved with projects like this? Maybe it's because of the mentality of many who don't want change and fight it from happening. They do what they want to do and no one can speak up about it. Look at the group some used to belong to. I know another man who was in it. (citizens for a brighter u.c.) or something like that. Threats, threats, & more threats. I only hope & pray that this is different.

That is really a shame. I think the first step for people in small towns is to realize that change is going to happen. The best way to deal with the changes that are to come is to plan for them. Organized citizens have a great deal more power to get their voices heard and have an influence on how a town grows. Luckily, the City of Winterville has an interest in the future of their community and how it grows. They realize the importance of planning and are using innovative methods to reach out to all of the citizens, more than just the "usual suspects" that always show up for meeting and such!

Can you tell that I really really really would like to see B-ville get it together?

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the signs that the people of Blairsville and Union County are actively participating in dealing with change and having a say in its future are already there.

There's the Downtown Development Authority which the Mayor and City Council members are a part of, and the Downtown Revitalization Committees with both DDA and citizen participation working on addressing the concerns raised in two previous town sessions. These meetings and committees are open to the public.

I've not heard of any negativity directed towards the individuals involved with these committess to date.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope people listen and do some good for the downtown. We need it, before it turns into a ghost town.

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  10:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For like 3 years I have been trying to think of a place that we need on the square. I've asked my friends, people I work with, nobody really has any great thoughts or new ideas. We've had coffee shops, flower shops etc. The book store was cool but is much better in the larger location, we can't have a wine and cheese shop but the downtown needs a few destination places, something to draw in the locals and weekenders too.

Have the folks on the Downtown Developement group ever discussed the kinds of places that they would like to see fill the empty gaps in the downtown area? What do you all think would bring you to the downtown??? Sporting goods?? Shoes? Hot Dog Store? Coffee Shop with wireless internet access??? Cabin Rental Business? What do we need on the square?

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  08:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downtown will always be a hard place to do business as long as the majority of the pass through traffic has to go around the square. If useable bypasses are built to get the normal everyday traffic around town then people will feel like wondering around town to look at shops. Right now we have almost constant traffic, almost no where to park and a limited amount of shops to visit.

We must decide if we want shops that will bring in visitors or do we need shops that sell what we need on a regular basis. Where do we go if we need a pair of shoes or pants or a shirt?

The coffee shop that was in the old service station did a fair business but would have done better if the traffic wasn't so heavy and parking was better. I've never been in most of the stores and shops in downtown as it's too much trouble or I have no interest in the wares they have to sell. I'm the type that buys things I need on a daily basis not wall hangers or antiques, although I like to look at them.

What needs to go downtown? Depends on who you are trying to bring in to town. The Helen atmosphere doesn't apeal to me, but a quite street scape with some nice shops would.

The crowding in Blue Ridge makes it hard to get through, I sometimes take my watchs to the Jewlry store down there to have them repaired. They still have a watch repairman there. But it is usually a hastle to get through and find a parking place. I guess the merchants there welcome all the attention, but, if I were a local I don't know if I would want to put up with it all the time. Luckly they have other roads in town and a good bypass.

I really don't know what would be good downtown, there are a lot of what ifs. A good soda fountain like the one at Hill-Lance Drugs once upon a time might be good. I wonder how many walk ins do the realters on the square? The realters offices on the square do nothing to help the atmoshpere of the downtown. Downtown now has no ryme or reason it just exists.

whyGo to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  10:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the traffic around the square is really bad. I am more irked by the numerous gravel trucks that use the square rather than taking the bypass. What's the point of the bypass if the majority of trucks don't use it? One would think that since a number..or maybe all...of these trucks are from local companies that the owners would have some concern for their town.

I think that the traffic issue needs to be priority one before anything else is tackled.

Why...I think we need both kinds of stores in the downtown. Stores that cater to everyday needs, stores that primarily are gift oriented, some nice reaturants and by "nice" I don't mean expensive.

Edited by - fawn on 07/25/2006 10:43:45 AMGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with the gravel trucks using the "bypass" is that, as I understand it, it is not an actual bypass as the state road goes around the square. The other problem is that the bypass goes right through school area and I'm not sure if it were up to me I would have the trucks go through there anyway.

We need an actual by pass that starts well above town and goes around town on both sides.

whyGo to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy